Just Keep Breathing

Chapter 28

The front of my house had become like a comfort zone for me, and probably Oli too. We always found ourselves wandering out there. Tonight we didn’t just collapse onto the lawn and make out though. Instead, we sipped our drinks and held hands, walking down the street to who knows where.

Out of boredom I stopped walking and sat on the curb a few streets away from my house. Oli sat next to me and I leaned my head over and onto his shoulder. He slipped his arm around my waist and scooted me closer to him. Neither of us spoke, we just sat there.

By the time we got back to my house, people were filing out and it was already half empty. I detached my hand from Oli’s and walked into the living room. As he passed me, he leaned in close to my ear, “I’ll be back, goin’ to ‘ead out back for a moment.”

I nodded and looked around, spotting Lee and Curtis sitting at the counter in my kitchen, devouring a bag of Lays chips. Sneaking over, I grabbed a few before the whole bag was gone.

“Aye Elle.” Lee greeted, leaning on the counter as he looked at me. Curtis merely waved and smiled, taking a drink of whatever was in his cup.

When he was done taking a drink he looked at me oddly. I was a bit suspicious about what him and Lee were up to. He grinned and spoke, “So when are ya and Oli goin’ to get together? Me, Lee, an’ the Matts ‘ave a bit of a bet goin’ on, no offense. Ya should ask ‘im quick so I get fifty bucks.”

Too tipsy to care that they were betting on my love life, I shook my head with a smile on my face, brushing them off. “I have the munchies, hand over the bag.”

Curtis dropped the subject and passed the chips to me. I hopped up on the counter with the bag in my lap and continued to chit-chat with the guys. A short time later Oli, Tessa, and James walked into the kitchen. I’m guessing everyone had left by now.

I could smell the fresh smell of cigarette smoke lingered around my brother and Tessa. Now there was an odd tension in the room. I’m guessing it has something to do with the fact everyone here but James knows about Oli and my almost-relationship.

Annoyed with the silence, I walked over to the stereo in the kitchen and turned it on. Everyone seemed relieved with the new noise in the room, but the small awkwardness remained. We all split off to distract ourselves.

I walked over to the pantry and started picking through it, looking for any type of snacks. Behind me, lips came in contact with my shoulder and I gazed back, looking at Oli. Past him, my brother was walking up the stairs to get something.

Turning around, Oli backed me up into the pantry and started to kiss me. I was trying not to laugh as a bag of chocolate chips fell off the shelf and spilled onto the floor. He pulled away as quickly as we started kissing and walked out of the pantry, flashing me a smile.

&&

“I say we play that “I never” game, sounds like a good idea since it involves alcohol.” Tessa suggested, breaking the tension in the air. We all looked around and shrugged, agreeing silently.

This was going to turn out to be a bad idea.

Lee poured 8 cups of Smirnoff and handed them out before walking into the middle of the living room and sitting on the ground. We all formed a circle and sat down, staring at each other. Tessa talked again, “So we all know how it works, right? If you’ve done whatever is said, you take a sip.”

We all nodded, still staying silent and waiting for someone to start the game. Curtis took the opportunity, “Alrighty then, I’ll start us off easy, ‘kay? I’ve never tripped up the stairs.”

We all took a sip, smiles on our faces. Beside Curtis was James, who was next to go. He thought for a moment before speaking, “I’ve never gotten a tattoo.”

Everyone but Tessa and me took a sip. Curtis chuckled, “We might ‘ave to change that then.”

The game continued on, going around the circle a few times as we continued to become more intoxicated. After my turn, it was Matt K’s turn to go. He thought for a moment and shrugged, “Well this one is simple, ah well. I’ve never ‘ad sex.”

Everyone was looking around, seeing who was taking a drink and who wasn’t. Slowly, while my cheeks began to flare red, I lifted my cup up and took a drink. That made eight out of eight who have had sex. My brothers eyes were fixed on me suspiciously, but I knew he didn’t dare bring it up right now. While he was looking at me, he couldn't see Oli’s failed attempt to hide the smile on his face.