Just Keep Breathing

Epilogue

My phone lit up next to me, the light waking me from my sleep. It was only 5 in the morning and the sun wasn‘t even up yet, who the hell is texting me?

Ignoring it, I rolled over, my body moving into a colder part of my bed. Another morning of waking up alone. It was hard, after spending so long with someone occupying that spot to just have it empty all the time now.

It’s been three months since I declined Oliver’s offer to go on tour with him. I just couldn’t let myself go. The tour was a time for him and the guys to expand their music, to have fun, to party ‘til they passed out and play music like no tomorrow. I didn’t want to be there on the tour and be a drag to them all.

Of course, Oli had told me countless times that I wouldn’t be a drag. That he wanted me to go; that he needed me to go. Me saying no was a lot harder than him having to hear it. Now I had to live with the fact I didn’t go with him.

Every morning I wake up and wish I would have gone. Oli knew this too, fifth day he was on tour I called him and told him I wished I was with him. Too bad he was already three states away.

The distance hurt more than I thought it would. I didn’t think that after the short time we were dating that I could actually miss him this much, but I do. He kept his promise, which is something I’m loving about him; he calls me every day. More than once too. And I always get those cute good morning and good night texts. But the calls and the texts don’t make up for my empty bed.

And of course, there’s still the fact that we decided to take a break. I must have been on drugs when I decided that taking a break was a good idea. Honestly, I must have something mentally wrong with me. But seeing as I’m a bit stubborn, I can’t just call him up and say I want him back instantly.

Lee is another person who kept his promise. I get little e-mails about what’s going on. Like last week I was informed that Matt K tripped off the bus and had to get stitches. I’m a bitch, I laughed.

But it’s not really those type of updates I cared about; it was the ones with Oli. He told me that Oliver, though we were on a break, remained faithful - well for all Lee knew -, and even though he was partying, he had yet to do anything stupid. Knowing that is what kept me from going crazy without him.

So this was my routine; wake up, thinking about everything, and attempt to actually have a life. This morning was kind of different though.

As I pulled the blankets closer around me and smushed my face into my pillow, a large crashing noise filled my ears. Instantly, my eyes shot open and I leaned up in bed. A similar noise came again; oh shit, must be burglars.

I scurried out of my bed and grabbed a random object off my floor before cautiously walking out of my bedroom door. The one time James and my parents aren’t home, our house gets broken into, just brilliant.

Quietly, I made my way down the stairs and walked into the living room. By the door, the table that held a vase of flowers and a coat rack was knocked over and the person was leaned down in front of it. By instinct, I threw the heavy object in my hand at the person’s back.

“Ah fuck!” The person screamed, falling back in surprise. Oh no, that person had an accent. And from what I could now see in the dark room, the person was covered in tattoos too.

“Oliver?” I asked quietly, inching towards the person. Now, with my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I could see his face when he looked up at me. He looked like he was in pain. “Oh my God, Oli, I’m sorry you scared me.”

I walked to him hastily and bent down to his level. He stared at me with an odd expression on his face, both happy and in pain. He forced a smile, “I tried texting ya, got no response so I tried to come in. Hit the table, I was tryin’ to surprise ya. So, surprise!”

Instead of giving a proper hello or response, I slung my arms around him and hugged him awkwardly. Oli pushed himself up off the floor and gripped me in a proper hug. I couldn’t think right now, only that I needed to hug him tightly and try not to let him go.

“I need to breath sometime Elle.” Oli mumbled into my hair. I loosened my grip but continued to hug him. Gah I missed his touch, and his voice. “So, ya miss me?”

Simply, I nodded and pressed my face further into the crook of his neck. I felt him laugh a bit and squeeze me back, there was no getting rid of me now.

“What’re you doing back this soon?” I finally asked, my head still in his neck. “You guys weren’t supposed to be done for another week.”

“Two of the other bands got the flu, which pretty much wrecked the end of the tour. We’re goin’ to play those dates in about a month.” He explained. I nodded in response and kept my grip on him.

“So you’re mine again, right?” I asked quietly. My lips moved against his neck as I spoke. I was a bit nervous asking. He pulled me tighter against him.

“Of course. I wouldn’t want it any other way.” He spoke as softly as I had, and his words were like a breath of fresh air. He spoke again, a smile in his voice, “What, no kiss?”

Without hesitation I pulled out of the hug and smashed my lips hungrily onto his. At first, it was sloppy and needy, but we got back into a rhythm we were used to; arms tangled and lips attached.

Damn I missed this.