All She Wants

Chapter 4

Spike rocked back slightly and sighed. “I am not who you who you want me to be love,” he informed her softly. “It is not me that you crave but a vampire that no longer exists.”

“He is dancing inside where the soul has caged him.” Drusilla turned her face and looked at Spike. “He is hidden so deeply but I can hear him calling out to me. He cries so, how could you betray yourself on so many levels?”

Spike frowned. “I am myself and I have finally found myself. I’d never have believed I would be anything like my sire but there it is. I save people; I help the downtrodden. I fight things like the man I was that plague the night and you know what? I enjoy what I do and have no desire to go back.”

Drusilla reached out a hand and she rested her hand on Spike’s chest. “Ah but you do my love. I am listening to your desires and they fill you inside. Darkness rushes in wave but is pinned down as you have stopped listening to its rush. Let it wash over you once more and my very own Spike will be back.”

Spike didn’t know what to say and so for possibly the first time in his undead life he was grateful for the interruption that Angel provided. “Dru what Spike is trying to say is that he has changed. You are better off here with Clem until one day you find someone who is more suited to you.”

“Poison,” Drusilla said as she turned to look back at the ceiling. “You deny who you are and now so does Spike. You do nothing but promote denial of true darkness. I was once your greatest accomplishment and now you are desperate to cast me aside.”

“I am not who I was and I am not proud of my past. It is not that I would change you at all but if I had been myself when I found you things would have been different. You have a gift and it deserves nurturing whereas Angelus he destroyed It.”

“Angelus is you,” Drusilla said and she sounded bored. “Daddy is hidden inside you and you refuse the listen to the beast within. Now you are instructing Spike to do the same; my Spike!” She sat up suddenly and growled. “When will you stop taking the things I love from me?”

“W-what?” Angel stared at his creation. “What do you mean?”

“My family, my sanity, my life, my daddy and then my family all over again. Darla twice and now my Spike!” Drusilla tipped her head on side lost in thought for a moment. “You and Spike do have a common factor that I can blame.”

“Do we love?” Spike asked as he instinctively reached for Drusilla’s hand. “We both have souls, is that it?”

Drusilla shook her head. “No, no you were both tainted by the slayer; by Buffy.”

“Buffy has nothing to do with this,” Angel said. “You just blame me if you like but I am not the cause. I got a soul before I even knew she existed and I am taking nobody from you deliberately.”

“I didn’t chose the soul; I wanted to return to darkness and forget Buffy. I got a soul though and now I have found the real me.” Spike released her hand and stood. “I guess I am going to desert you after all.”

Drusilla jumped up and threw her arms around Spike. “I can’t lose you lover, not again!” she wailed. Spike tried to push her away which normally he would have found easy but for some reason he seemed unable.

Angel reached and tried to pry the two apart. He knew that Spike was unaware that he was clinging onto Drusilla and a past he was more reluctant to leave than his words let on. Angel hoped there would be no need for an intervention but even he wasn’t expecting what came next.

Drusilla suddenly vamped out and bit savagely down into Spike’s neck. Spike screamed out ad flailed his arms about as he experienced death yet again. Honestly he had died more times than should have even possible. What on earth became of a vampire who was bitten?

In all honesty he had no time to think this through as his knees buckled and he slid to the floor.