Why Does The Dream End?

Number 29

Megan's POV

We walked hand in hand for a while and I smiled at Joe. Chris was right, there was no need to be upset, I knew we would stay together in our hearts, where it counted. "So, where are we going?" I asked him, smiling and he turned and grinned at me.
"I take it your brother gave you a similar talk mine gave me?" he asked and I laughed and nodded.
"We're meant to be together, the distance doesn’t mean anything," I smiled and Joe grinned and put his arm around my waist.
"We will always be together in here," he said and put his hand over my heart. My heart suddenly leapt and I smiled. Had he just said he loved me?
"Always," I agreed. We walked for another few seconds and I said, "You still didn't tell me where we're going."
"I know," he said smiling. I smiled back at him and shoved him lightly. He smirked and shoved me back.
"Ugh!" I said, mock hurt. I grinned up at him and he laughed down at me. "You know that-" He cut me off when his lips met mine and he kissed me lovingly. He pulled away and stroked my cheek gently. "What was that for?" I whispered and he shrugged.
"You just looked so cute," he shrugged. "I couldn’t help myself." I smiled and blushed. We carried on walking and Joe looked down at me. "So, what were you saying?" he asked and I frowned slightly.
"I...I can't remember..." I admitted and he laughed softly.
"The effects of my kisses..." he said smugly and I smirked at him.
"It probably was just not that important..." I told him and his eyes narrowed as he looked at me.
"Oh, really, so my kissing you had nothing to do with it?" he asked and I smiled.
"Unlikely," I teased him and suddenly he was cupping my face in his hands and kissing me deeply. I reacted immediately and kissed him back, my tongue brushing his. He pulled back just as suddenly as he had started. I swayed on my feet, my eyes still closed and I heard him chuckle.
"Now tell me my kisses have no affect on you," Joe smirked and I opened my eyes and took a deep, calming breath.
"You already knew I was teasing you," I said softly. "You know the effect you have on me...you didn't have to prove it..." Joe laughed gently.
"I know, but this way I got to kiss you again," Joe whispered in my ear and I shivered. I didn't say anything more, still trying to catch my breath and Joe smiled and took my hand and we started walking again. I realised we were heading to the hotel and I wondered if we were going to eat at the hotel restaurant. However, Joe walked past the front door and round the side of the hotel. I had never been round here, afraid I would get caught, but Joe seemed to know where he was going. We got to the back of the hotel and Joe led me through a small gate which had a 'no entry' sign on it.
"Are you sure we're allowed down here?" I asked him, looking at the sign.
"I put that there," he smiled and I smiled back at him. We walked for a couple more minutes and our feet landed on the sand. I stopped to take off my heels and let the sand fill the gaps between my toes as I walked. We got to the top of a mound of sand and I gasped. Below us was a picnic set out, surrounded by candles and fairy lights.
"Joe..." I whispered at the sight and he smiled and kissed my cheek gently. He pulled me forwards, dodging the candles which had been embedded in the sand and the fairy lights which circled the red picnic matt. He lowered me onto the blanket and then sat next to me. He stroked my cheek gently and gazed into my eyes. He smiled softly and then gently brushed his lips against mine.
"For you," he said, indicating the scene. I felt my heart swell. He was so amazing, and I couldn’t help but love him.
"Thank you," I whispered and he smiled and his thumb brushed up and down my cheek. He then pulled back and moved to the basket in the corner of the blanket. He pulled out a large bottle and I realised it was champagne. He then pulled out a small plastic tub and opened it to reveal grapes. He then got out another one to reveal strawberries. Several more came out of the basket and in one was water melon cut up, another had pineapple cut up, another had chocolate, and the last had brownies. I smiled at him. It was all so romantic. I moved over to Joe and put my hand on his cheek and he looked up at me. I smiled at him and kissed him lovingly. I didn't know how to really thank him. This was all too amazing. He smiled back at me.
"You're welcome," he said softly. I sat next to him and then we ate slowly, casually, in between talking about anything and everything.

We ate the fruit first and the chocolate and brownies last, drinking champagne the whole while and Joe fed me the strawberries and I fed them to him. I leant against his shoulder and we looked out across the black sea and slowly ate through the fruit. I never wanted this night to end. When we finished eating we lay next to each other and looked up at the stars. He held my hand in between our bodies and we were silent for a long, calm time. I turned my head slowly and looked at Joe. He then turned and looked at me as well and I smiled at him. "This was perfect," I whispered. "Thank you, Joe." He smiled back at me and slowly leant forward and kissed me tenderly.
"I want to play you something," he said softly and I smiled. He picked up the guitar and started playing.

"Take my hand tonight
We can run so far
We could change the world
Do anything we want
We could stop for hours
Just staring at the stars
They shine down to show us

You know when the sun forgets to shine
I’ll be there to hold you through the night
We’ll be running so fast we could fly tonight
Even when were miles and miles apart
You’re still holding all of my heart
I promise it will never be dark
I know we're inseparable

We could run forever
If you wanted to
I would not get tired
Because I'd be with you
I'd keep singing this song
Until the very end
And we'd have done all these things

You know when the sun forgets to shine
I’ll be there to hold you through the night
We’ll be running so fast we could fly tonight
Even when were miles and miles apart
You’re still holding all of my heart
I promise it will never be dark
I know were inseparable

I will give it all
Never let you fall
But you know we're inseparable
I would give it up
Just to show you I'm in love
Cause you know
We're inseparable"


Tears pricked in my eyes as Joe finished playing and turned to me. I smiled tenderly at him and then put my hand on his cheek and kissed him softly. His hand went to my waist and we rolled onto our sides as the kiss deepened. Joe pulled me towards him and I felt his body all along mine. The kiss was long, slow and completely perfect. I could feel all of Joe's love pouring into me from that kiss. I pulled back and gazed into his beautiful, brown eyes. 'I love you,' I said in my head as I looked deep in his eyes and I think he knew what I was thinking because I think he was thinking the same. I lay next to him tightly, my head on his chest. Once again we were shrouded in silence and it was perfect, like heaven, with the soothing sound of the waves in the background.

Eventually, one by one, the candles went out, leaving only puddles of wax on the sand, and we were left in the light of the fairy lights. I sat up eventually and then looked down at Joe, who was still lying on his back looking up at me. "I should probably get home," I said softly, hating the fact that I had to leave. "What time is it?" I asked and he looked at his mobile for the time.
"12.15," he said and I vaguely realised that I was an hour over curfew but I didn't care. I lay back down next to Joe and looked up at the sky. "Don't you have to go?" he asked after a long while.
"Yeah..." I sighed but I didn't move and Joe smiled and kissed my forehead softly. We were silent another long while and then I sighed. "I don’t want to go..."
"I know, but I'll see you tomorrow," he said. This then reminded me that tomorrow would be the last day I would spend with him. I sat up again and looked out over the sea.
"It's not fair," I whispered as I hugged my knees to my chest. Joe sat up next to me and took me into his arms. He didn't say anything, there was nothing to say. "I should get going," I said softly and Joe nodded. This time, we did move. Joe stood up and then offered me his hand and pulled me up.
"Let's walk back along the beach," Joe said and I smiled and nodded. He kept hold of my hand and picked up my shoes and then we set off across the dark beach. I twisted around Joe and my clasped hands and ended up with Joe's arm around my waist, but my hand still in his grip, my arm across my stomach. I leant my head against his shoulder as we walked and Joe kissed my forehead occasionally. As we grew nearer to my house we slowed down even further.

It took us about half an hour to do the 5 minute walk from the hotel to my house. However, we inevitably reached my gate and I turned to look at Joe. He smiled at me tenderly and brushed my fringe out of my eyes. He then kissed my forehead where he had exposed. "I'll see you tomorrow," he whispered and I nodded slightly, his hand cupping my cheek.
"Do you think we could go to the aquarium?" I asked him and he smiled and nodded.
"Back to the first date?" he asked and I smiled and agreed. A sad expression entered his eyes and he stroked my cheek with his thumb. Tonight was perfect, about love, and we weren’t going to ruin it by talking about the sadness of tomorrow or of Monday. I leant forward and kissed him again, more deeply and he wrapped his arms around my waist and kissed me back. I pulled back and Joe leant his forehead against mine. We gazed into each other's eyes for what felt like an eternity. I got lost in his eyes and then moved closer to him and brushed my lips against his. My eyes slid shut as we kissed again but then I pulled back, away from him. I looked up into his eyes again, gently touched his cheek and smiled lovingly. "Goodnight," I whispered and then turned and walked back inside.