Why Does The Dream End?

Number 39

Megan's POV

Going to college in America had turned out to be a bigger success than I had originally thought. I had a degree in English Literature and my parents were extremely pleased with me. Staying in America and going to school there had been without a doubt the best choice I could have made. I might not have been able to see Joe as much as both of us would have liked but it was certainly more frequent than we would if I had gone back to England to university.

After my second year I didn't go back to England straight away as Joe had invited me to stay with him for the summer. I knew eventually I'd have to go back to see my family, but not for a couple of weeks and I hadn’t booked a flight yet. Whenever Joe and I are together we always save time to go on a walk on the beach at midnight, when it is quiet and no one is around to recognise us. I had gotten used to being recognised as Joe's girlfriend. It had been strange for a long while but eventually, it had died down and people had gotten used to seeing me around campus.

"Do you know what today is?" Joe asked me, dragging me out of my thoughts. I smiled as I looked at him.
"Two years," I smiled and he smiled back.
"Two years exactly," he smiled. "I saw you in the car today two years ago." I smiled and nodded.
"These last years have been the best of my life," I smiled and Joe stopped walking and I turned to look at him. He stroked my cheek softly and smiled tenderly.
"Me, too," he smiled. "I love you so much."
"I love you more," I smiled and he smiled and shook his head. He looked at the sky and smiled softly.
"It looks just like the night when we had that picnic," he smiled softly and I smiled and looked up at the sky. It was the same, perfect night it had been back then. I nodded and then turned back to Joe who was gazing at me intensely. My breath caught as I met his eyes. My heart raced as he went down on one knee. My eyes widened as he pulled a small box out of his pocket. "Megan," he said softly. "I love you so much, I've never loved anyone as much as I love you. You're my world. You have been my world from the first moment I met you. I fell in love with you as soon as my eyes met yours on that motorway. I want to be with you forever. I need to be with you forever. Will you marry me?" Tears pricked in my eyes and he opened the box to reveal a small, delicate engagement ring. It was a gold band with a diamond on the top, in between two turquoise gems.
"Yes," I whispered and he smiled and took the ring from the box and put it on my left ring finger, two fingers away from my thumb, which still had Joe's purity ring on it. I would never take it off. "I love you." Joe stood up quickly and cupped my cheeks with his hands and kissed me deeply. I could feel the ring on my finger and it felt like it already belonged there. And I knew it would belong there for the rest of my life.

We went back to Joe's parents place and Kevin and Nick immediately came running up to us. Both of them grinning. I looked at Joe who was also grinning. "Can we see the ring?" Nick asked and I grinned and held my left hand out to them.
"It matches your eyes," Kevin said and I beamed.
"I know," Joe said as he put his arm around my waist. "That's why I got it." I smiled and turned my head and kissed him softly.
"Joe wouldn’t let us see the ring until he'd asked you," Nick told me and I smiled and nodded.
"Even though we all knew you wouldn’t say no," Kevin smiled and I had to agree. There was no chance I would say no.

Joe then took my hand then and pulled me in the direction of the large living room. I saw his parents sitting on the sofa next to each other and nerves jumped to life in my stomach. They seemed to like me enough, Joe had introduced me on my third day in California and we got on really well together, but it didn't stop me from being nervous. What if it had been an act...what if they didn't really like me. "Relax," Joe whispered as he kissed my cheek and I smiled and nodded. "Mum, dad?" he said as he turned to his parents. They looked over at us and smiled. "Megan and I...we're getting married," he said and there was a short, tense moment when it was silent and then Mrs Jonas jumped up and hugged us tightly. She pulled back and I saw tears in her eyes. She seemed to be unable to speak and so just hugged me tightly. I knew they hadn’t been acting; they did like me.
"Congratulations," Mr Jonas said as he embraced his son. Mrs Jonas was then looking at my hand, my ring, and shaking her head slightly.
"It's so beautiful, Joe," she said softly. She looked up and met my eyes and smiled before going and hugging Joe. Mr Jonas came to me and hugged me. I hadn’t been expecting it but it felt completely normal.

We stayed with them, and Kevin and Nick joined us soon after, and after about an hour of talking about Joe and me, I decided I should really tell my parents. "Should I tell them now or wait until I go home?" I asked Joe. He smiled and then reached into his pocket and took out an envelope. "What's this?" I asked him as he gave it to me. He just shrugged. I frowned slightly and opened it and a plane ticket fell out. Followed by another. I smiled at him and leant forward and kissed him softly.
"I thought we could tell them together," he said and I smiled tenderly.
"Thank you," I smiled and he smiled and nodded.

A week later, Joe and I were back at Heathrow, walking to the entrance where we were meant to meet my mum and dad. I looked down at the ring on my finger and bit my lip slightly. "Joe," I said softly and pulled him to a stop before we walked round the corner and came into view. "Do you think I could...hide it until we get home? I don’t want my parents seeing the ring in the car or wherever..." He smiled and took my left hand and took the ring off. He then picked up my right hand and put it on my ring finger on that hand. "Thank you." He smiled again and then kissed me softly, gently cupping my face in his hands.
"I love you," he whispered.
"I love you, too," I whispered back. He then entwined his fingers with mine and we walked round the corner and I saw my parents and Jesse and Chris. I smiled at them all and they grinned back. I ran over to them and hugged them all, my mum first, then my dad, then Chris and finally Jesse.
"Long time no see," Jesse smiled and I smiled and agreed. I hadn’t seen him since the summer before even though I spoke to him on the phone all the time. I hadn’t seen Chris much in the two years either; whenever I came home in the holidays, Chris was always in Plymouth with Jesse. My family all greeted Joe warmly and openly and I realised they already thought of Joe as part of the family.

We walked to the car then and Jesse managed to get next to me and whispered in my ear, "Nice ring. It's on the wrong hand though..." I smiled at him and met his eyes. I tried to convey the message that he wasn’t to say anything but I knew he wouldn’t. He smiled at me. "Congrats." I grinned at him and he hugged me around this waist while we continued to walk.
"You're very observant," I smiled softly.
"I'm just brilliant," he said and I laughed but nodded. We got to the car then and I saw that Chris had brought his car as well. We put our luggage into Chris's car and Joe and I got into the back seats of my parents car and Chris and Jesse drove off in their car.
"How long are you staying for?" mum asked.
"Erm," I said and glanced at Joe who shrugged. "We don’t know yet." The drive home was mostly silent. Mum and dad asked me briefly about school and how my course was going and I gave them the normal generic answer. They seemed pleased. I could see Chris's car always in front of us. Chris had told mum and dad he was gay when I had told them I was going to college in America. I guess he thought that because they were pleased with me they would go easier on him. He was right. They didn't mind at all in fact, so I don’t think they would have minded no matter when he told them. I think they had guessed because Chris was always spending so much time with Jesse but weren’t brave enough to say anything. Jesse seemed so much happier now as well because he was free to kiss or touch Chris in front of my parents.

We got home about half an hour later; the traffic was good. Jesse and Chris had gotten home first and were already inside the living room. Joe and I were staying in my room and dad had insisted on taking our bags up. Joe helped him so mum and I went into the kitchen to make drinks. "You're happy, aren’t you?" mum asked worriedly.
"Of course I am," I smiled at her as I took 6 glasses out. "I've never been happier. I'm at a great school, I'm studying a great course, I've got a great...boyfriend." I was about to say fiancé but didn't. I wanted to tell mum, dad and Chris at the same time with Joe with me. "I'm great."
"Are you coming home when you've finished school?" mum asked as she turned to me.
"No," I said immediately. "I love Joe. I'm staying with him." I wasn’t sorry that I was living so far away from my family because I had always known I would slowly move away from them anyway. Mum was too demanding to see too often anyway. I saw mum frown slightly before turning away again. "Mum, it's not like I'll never see you. I can fly back and you can fly over. I'll phone you, email, whatever." She sighed and nodded.
"I'm glad you're getting your own life," she said. "I just wish you could do it closer to home."
"I know," I said. "But Joe's life and career is in America. I won't ask him to leave that. I love him. Besides, I like it in America, and Joe's family is amazing. They treat me like I'm family already." I frowned slightly as I realised I'd said 'already' which hinted that I was going to be their family for real but mum didn't seem to notice.

Just then Joe walked in and stood behind me and put his arms around my waist. He had a look in his eyes and I guessed he'd heard everything we'd said. "I love you," he whispered in my ear as he kissed my neck. I smiled and leant back into his chest. Nothing had ever felt more comforting or safer than being in Joe's arms. Mum finished the drinks and we then went into the living room where Chris and Jesse were still sitting in each other's arms. I smiled at them and they smiled back. I looked at Jesse and he smiled knowingly; I was telling them now. I saw him move to leave but I shook my head and he smiled and resettled himself in Chris's arms. I took Joe's hand and we sat in the loveseat. Mum and dad followed us in, dad sat in the armchair and mum sat next to Chris without a moment of hesitation.
"Mum, dad, we...have something to tell you," I said after a while and Joe squeezed me hand. "Joe and I...um..." I stopped, not knowing what to say.
"Are you pregnant!?" mum cried and my eyes widened.
"No!" I replied quickly, blushing slightly. "No, mum." I took a deep breath and took the ring from my right hand and put it on my left ring finger, four pairs of eyes following the action. "We're engaged." As with Joe's parents, my family were silent for a short while and then Chris stood up, grinning and mum and dad followed. I smiled and stood up and Chris was the first one to hug me. Then mum and then dad. And then Jesse, who was beaming at me.
"Aww," he said softly so the others couldn’t hear. "Lil' Megan's growing up..." I hit him on the shoulder playfully and grinned. I went back to Joe, who was talking to Chris, a grin on his face.
"Here's my gorgeous fiancé," Joe smiled as he put his arm around my waist.
"Congrats, sis," Chris smiled. "I'm so happy for you." I smiled at him.
"Thanks, Chris," I smiled and looked up at Joe. He was looking at mum and dad who were talking quietly to themselves. I frowned slightly as a sinking feeling arrived in my chest. "Mum?" I said and they both turned to us guiltily. I frowned more and moved closer to Joe. "What is it?"
"It's not that we're not happy for you," mum said. "Because we are. Extremely."
"But?" I whispered and Joe's arm tightened around my waist.
"But you're 20," mum said emphatically. "You-"
"Mum, I don’t think I want to hear what you were about to say," I interrupted. "I love Joe with all my heart and we are getting married. I would like to have you approve, but you won't stop me from marrying him if you say no." Mum frowned at me slightly and I looked at dad who was wearing a deeper frown.
"I know that we're young," Joe said after a short silence. "But I love your daughter with all my heart. I didn't even realise I could love someone this much. Megan is the most important person in my world and I will spend my life making sure she is happy." Mum and dad kept quiet as they regarded us.
"I don’t think they're too young," Chris said and I smiled in relief. At least one member of my family approved. "They love each other, obviously, and they've been in love since the first moment they met. Jesse and I were with them quite a lot that summer and they were acting like they'd been together for about 2 years anyway. I think they would be amazing together." I grinned at him.
"Did I ever mention I loved you?" I asked him and he grinned and shrugged. I looked over at Jesse who winked at me and I knew he agreed with Chris but wasn’t about to get into a family argument. I turned back to my parents who seemed to be debating the issue. Finally, dad stepped towards me and hugged me tightly.
"You know I love you, sweetie," he said in my ear and I nodded. "I just want the best for you. I guess Joe is best for you." I smiled and nodded. Dad then turned to Joe and smiled and hugged him as well and I almost felt tears in my eyes. There was just one problem left. I turned to mum who was looking at us curiously but no longer disapproving.
"You'll come home won't you?" she asked, her voice more vulnerable than I remember ever hearing it. I smiled as tears built in my eyes and I walked over to her and hugged her.
"Of course I will," I whispered. "I love you, mum."
"I love you, too, honey," she said and then pulled back and looked at Joe. "Can I have a hug from my future son-in-law?" Joe grinned and I laughed as he came over to mum and hugged her. He said something softly to her and she nodded and smiled. I frowned slightly but didn't ask.

We then sat back down and dad went and got a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Jesse and Chris made the toast to us and it was perfect. The night was exactly as I'd hoped it to be. At 11.30 Joe and I went up to my room. Joe had never been to this room before. He'd only ever been in my room in the house at Plymouth, but he acted as though he belonged in here, and he truly did. I smiled at him and went over to him and kissed him deeply. He held me tightly and we fell onto the bed. I pulled away from him and smiled at him. He put his hand on my cheek and smiled back. "That didn't go too badly," he said softly and I laughed humourlessly.
"It could have gone better," I said, frowning slightly. "I wish my parents had reacted the way yours did." Joe kissed me tenderly and then softly brushed his thumb over my cheekbone.
"It was to be expected really," he said softly. "We are young, but we love each other and that's all that's important. I want to spend my life with you, and I'm going to." I smiled and kissed him again before getting up and changing into one of Joe's old t-shirts which I slept in at college when we were apart and hadn’t been able to stop doing since.
"Hey, what did you say to my mum? I saw you say something when she hugged you," I said as I changed.
"Oh, I just said that I really do love you," Joe said distractedly as he watched intensely as I changed with heat in his eyes. I smiled at him slyly and then sat next to him on the bed, the shirt riding high up my thighs. I watched as Joe's eyes lowered and then slowly came back up to my face. He shook his head slightly. "God, you're gorgeous," he said, his voice sounded strained. I smiled at him and kissed him softly.
"You're not so bad to look at either," I whispered as my lips brushed over his cheeks gently. I heard his breathing get quicker, causing the same reaction in me. I felt his hands on my waist under the shirt, gently stroking my skin. I moved my hands to his shirt and unbuttoned it quickly and then ran my hands over his perfectly toned chest and abs. I sucked in a quick breath and then pulled away. Joe looked at me for a long while and then smiled softly. I went over to the light and waited for Joe to get out of his shirt and jeans before shutting off the light and letting the room be filled with darkness. I crawled into the bed next to Joe and snuggled into his chest.
"You're too good for me," he smiled and I shook my head as I lay down next to him.
"I'm perfect for you, just as you're perfect for me," I whispered as I kissed his chest lovingly.

Six months later Joe and I had the perfect wedding. It was on the Californian beach where Joe and I spent nearly all of our free time. My family had all flown out for the wedding and friends from college had come as well. It was perfect. We said "I do," at the stroke of midnight on December 31st, starting the new year and starting a completely new life. Considering we had the wedding in a public place, there were no paparazzi. I wore a traditional flowing white dress; a tight strapless corset with diamonds sewn onto it around my waist and ribs and ruffles around the top. The skirt was light, puffy and lacy and the train dragged about a foot on the ground. When I saw Joe's face at the front of the congregation I lost all my nerves and knew immediately that what I was doing was completely and utterly right. His eyes gazed into mine as I made my way down the aisle and I smiled at him and he smiled back.

When we left the reception to go on our honeymoon to Italy I sat in the car and turned to Joe, who was in the back seat next to me, and smiled. "I love you," I whispered and he smiled and picked up my hand and kissed my knuckles gently.
"I love you," he whispered against my skin. "You look so beautiful," he added as he looked into my eyes. "When I saw you coming down the aisle...you took my breath away." I smiled at him and then moved into his arms and he held me close to his chest. We were silent for a short while but then Joe's fingers came to my chin and lifted my lips up to meet his. We didn't pull away from each other for the rest of the car journey to the airport. And I knew we wouldn’t for the rest of our lives.
♠ ♠ ♠
long last chapter
comment??