The Darkest Red

The Way We Talk

I sat there in the parking lot leaning against my car crying.

I cried hard.

After I got all of the tears out I calmly got up. I unlocked my car door and got in. I took a few deep breaths and started the car.

My phone vibrated. A text message from my mother.

Pheonyx, where are you? I went into your room to check on you and you weren't there. Are you alright?
xoxo, love you baby.


Yes, I'm fine. I went to see Casey in the hospital. She's alright. I'll explain when I get home. xoxo, love you too. I replied and drove out of the parking lot.

All the way home I tried to figure out why she wouldn't talk to me and why she tried to kill herself. When I got home I was no closer to a conclusion than I was at the hospital. I parked in the garage next to my mother's car and shut my car off. I sat there in my car growing colder. I sighed and got out, locking my door as I did.

I stumbled up the steps into the kitchen from the garage and locked the door behind me. My mother was sitting on the couch, worry etched into her face.

"Pheonyx!" she exclaimed and hugged me tightly.
"Mom, Casey tried to kill herself. I have to tell you something really important mommy," I said softly.
"What is it baby?" she asked, looking concerned.
"I'm gay," I said. She pulled away from me a little bit.
"Are you sure? I mean, gay. Wow," she said looking slightly sick.
"Yes, I'm sure. I love Casey. We're together. Well we were, I think she just broke up with me," I said trying not to start crying again.
"Awe, sweetie. It's alright, I'm sure she'll come around. Why don't you have some tea and go to sleep?" my mother suggested.
"Okay mommy, I love you," I said and went to the cabinet and got all the things to make myself tea. I heard my mother going upstairs and into her room. I boiled water and made my tea. Once it was done I sat on the couch staring off into space thinking.

I sat there for half an hour while my tea got cold. I got up and dumped it in the sink and trudged upstairs to my room. I undressed and fell into bed. I curled up into a little ball and cried myself to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hate this chapter. It's sad. At least her mom didn't freak out. Yet...