Status: So glad to be back to writing again! :)

Is That What You Really Want Me to Say?

Mirror Images

Sophomore Year
Journal Entry II
September 29


I can’t believe I don’t have a single class with Ryan this year. I guess it’s not so bad since last we had every class together… Hm, I miss him. It seem like we just stopped talking over the summer, no idea why. I hate when that happens, I just loose friends. All I’d have to ever do is contact them again, so simple. But it’s not, because there’s a difference now. People always change and that makes getting back in touch so difficult. Ryan was…

Well I don’t want to write about the past. I’ll write about now, because that’s what matters. Derek Sanders is as annoying as… There’s nothing to compare him to. Nothing. I swear to God, I’ve never met a child more obnoxious. He doesn’t even take notes, just scribbles ridiculous little drawing all over those wasted lined pages. The poor trees.

I don’t have a clue how we’re in the same class. This stupid school system. I’m surprised he even attends school for the amount of effort he puts into the classes he goes to. Hm. I have yet to say a word to him. As far as I can tell he’s the outsider in the class of outsiders. I can only imagine what Mr. Popular feels like on the outside of the circle….


Sernior Year
Current:


Tyson held his books close, going over the mental checklist in his head. He had to make sure all was there before setting off for class. He wouldn’t be a second late today, not that he cared so much about what the teacher had to say. Tyson yearned to meet the ghost he sat beside, Jaime hasn’t said a word to him since the first day. It seemed like she put herself in a box, all locked and shut up so no one could enter.

He made it passed the endless columns of lockers to Room 203, as early as he could be. Now it didn’t seem much; A few words from his lab partner, but he so badly wanted to at least know her voice. Slipping his books noiselessly to the black lab counter top, he sat on the stool beside the quiet girl. Elbow to the table, hand on his face, Tyson looked at her. “Hello there, Jaime. That’s your name isn’t it?”

He watched her shift away from him, her eyes reading over her notes from last class. Letting a quiet laugh escape him, he moved his hand to her notebook, his fingertips on the corner. “I’m sure you won’t mind if I borrow this from you, would you? I don’t really get this Chemistry stuff, but it’s good enough if I try? Right?”

He waited for permission to move the book, but she kept her eyes over the words she’d noted herself. Tyson settled on giving up for a moment, but that’s about all it lasted. “Jaime, I’m sure there’s nothing I’ve don’t to offend you. Oh! Well, besides not introducing myself-”

Twisting herself around in her seat, she said through her teeth. “On the contrary. Your name’s Tyson Ritter and you’re new to the school. First year is your last here, but if you want to make friends don’t try me, okay?“ Her heard lifted and their eyes met; His sparkling blue on her melting golden brown.

He sighed, tapping the notebook. There was something missing from the equation. There wasn’t a reason in a world he’d given her for the dislike of him, and she didn’t speak for him to say something wrong. Jaime couldn’t stand him for the personal reason of the similar differences between Derek and Tyson. They didn’t look alike what-so-ever…

Jaime’s mind trailed to her original hate in the one person her heart craved. She was so different then; Stuck up, rude, ignorant, and- She was acting the same toward a boy she didn’t even know now. That screamed maturity. Her head lowered and she rubbed the bridge of her nose, the one thing Derek always noticed when she was nervous or embarrassed.

“Tell me something… And be honest. How come whenever I mention something I like about you, you always touch your nose? I mean that’s a little odd, don’t you think?”

Derek laid within the slide of Brookside park, which was just a few blocks from both their homes. His hair fell across his forehead, just covering the eyes that held her world. Jaime was seated on a swing, the hinges creaking every so sway. She didn’t answer.

They were alone at the playground today, the sky wasn’t exactly right for the park. It wasn’t like there was anything better for them to do… So just waiting for rain, they stayed by the metal, plastic, and woodchips. Derek waiting for her answer.

“You always do that too! Ignore me like you didn’t hear me.. Hm. Who would ever have guessed Miss Straight-A Rousdae would be at the park with me? Never would be here with the likes of me in a million years!” Derek sat up and walked over to the swings, leaning then against the metal pole for support. He crossed his arms over his chest. “Guess this is a good year, isn‘t it?”

Now Jaime looked up at him, the glow in his eyes on her. That was the glow only she could see, only she knew it didn’t belong to her… But a girl can dream. So she kept her eyes on his a second longer trying to see what was the truth, which part of what he said he meant. She’d never know…

Finally, he took a seat in the swing beside her just as a light rain started to fall. He wouldn’t answer her questions and she wouldn’t answer his either.


Out of her daze, she looked over at Tyson leaning over his notebook and marking his page in headlines and bullets. Repositioning herself, she leaned a little toward him and watched him write for a moment. His words were scratched out neatly only the thin blue lines, fully catching what the teacher said.

His head turned toward her and he pointed at his page, mouthing the word “write”. Then she noticed she hadn’t taken a word down all class and flipped open her book while taking hold of her pen. Tyson smiled to himself, she definitely was an odd one, but so was he so he couldn’t complain.

Jaime continued trying to convince herself they weren’t the same. She had to give Tyson a chance, it was the only way to get past what he’d done to her… and the only way to move on.