The Amalgamation Of Two Worlds

Shoulder

** Hayden’s POV **

True darkness. Some may say it’s the same as darkness in general, but anyone from The Dark Lands knows differently. Darkness in general usually has some sort of natural light. Whether it be a moon, stars, or even a soft bioluminescence of a bug or plant, it doesn’t matter. Now, true darkness is an absolute black-out. Of course anyone who knows this, anyone from The Dark Lands can see through it. It’s the humans who have the problem. And as I stared out into the forest, a soft blue light coating everything from my vision, I knew all Audrey and Gabriel could see was black.

Being a demon, for some reason, coated my night vision blue. Just as vampires have red coatings, and werewolves green. In theory, red symbolizes blood, which is a major aspect in a vampire’s life. Green is life, and though some may argue why werewolves see that colour, in depth, it’s rather clear. When running, when free, is that not life? For them, anyway?

Now, according to my father, who explained this to me over a night hunting trip, blue symbolizes death. Some say blue is like the sky, which is life also, but have you ever seen a dead person? They turn blue. Their veins pucker out, their skin cools, and their overall body dies and takes on the colour of blue. Blue in the sky may mean life, but it also means death. One of the many oxymoron’s of life.

The night was brisk. Cool and chilly, and utterly dead. There was wind, yet no trees or flowers were swaying. It was technically night now, yet no stars or moon shone. We were only five km from the nearest town, yet there was not one sound of life. Everything seemed dead.

I’m sure there’s a logical reason for heading close to the town, yet staying in a nearby forest, but I couldn’t come up with it. I’m sure Mack explained it, but in my present state, I wasn’t taking in much. I was just following, and trying to ignore the clawing turmoil going on inside of me. As for Brale... well, at least he had the pleasure to have passed out. At this time Mack had asked me what was going on... in which I completely ignored him. How was I to explain that myself, a kind gentle demon who never wished to see anything or anyone in pain, wished to see red? To see and feel blood?

Damon was walking near me, but his mind seemed out of it also. His eyes were on the little human lights in front of us. After much tripping on Audrey’s behalf, and, many curses from stubbing his toe on Gabriel’s behalf, Mack had fashioned some small home-made lanterns. It helped them a lot, and it’s not like it would give us away, since The Demonio could see in the dark anyways.

“Remember what I said about stalking?” I managed out, though it sounded like anything but my voice. It was low, snappy, and harsh. It did, however, get Damon’s attention.

“Whatever’s going on in your head, get it together. I’m not pulling your weight.” He snapped, before putting more distance between us. Damn it! What was wrong with me?

The blue in my vision darkened, giving the trees, roots and any little critters out an eerie glow. They were illuminated now, seeming to stand out of their very position. I shook my head, but the vision stayed. It had more clarity, but I didn’t want it. I wanted things normal. Whatever that was, anyways.

I could easily fight this thing. All I had to do was concentrate. I’m my own person, and nothing changes that. Nothing. And I was not going to let some lit-

My back bent, sending my face close to the ground. My stomach contracted, sending immense pain up my spine into my mind. My one hand clutched my head while the other automatically went to my stomach. Forward. Forward. Forward. Pain. Blinding pain. I gasped, and gasped again. No air. Blood rushing to head. Couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think. What was this? Forward. I should know this. I should know the answer.

A scream tore from my throat as my knees buckled, sending my body crashing to the ground. Forward. What was this? This feeling, what was... feeling! Clave. That was it, that was why... forward. Instinctively I looked forward, to the direction this pain came from. To the direction my subconscious was so strongly telling me it was coming from. It was never this strong, never this acute.

Mack.

It took me a moment to process what was going on in my mind, to put two and two together, and when I did, I should have felt some sort of fear. Some sort of dread... but I didn’t. Anticipation raced through me, coating the pain. Adrenalin was next, along with want. The want to see it happen, to see the life ripped out of his eyes. To see the smile ripped of his face. To see Mack crumble... to see Mack... Mack...

The anticipation was ripped away with more pain as the reality sunk into me. No!

“Move!” I yelled, trying to jump in the way, but in my state, it was more of a lurch. Mack only made one step forward, toward me, before it hit. Another scream tore out of me, this time I’m sure was some sort of profanity. But I was deaf to it all, but this time due to the fact that the whole area was engulfed in screams.

The surprise took its toll. The demon landed on top of Mack, instantly pinning him. Even I knew it was no use, but that didn’t stop myself, or Mack, from trying to prevent it. No! He was like a second father to me! I couldn’t let it happen, I couldn’t let him die! I lurched again, this time to get knocked down from one of The Zaccur’s kicks gone astray. I landed flat on my stomach, my eyes still locked onto Mack.

His eyes met mine, fear almost engulfing them. I stared into them, and in turn, I felt as if I was drowning. Drowning in his fear, in my fear, in the fear of everyone around me. I could feel it, feel it all. It left me gasping again and almost convulsing. But just as quick as it came, it went. The fear didn’t go away, but Mack’s eyes did... along with his head.

I’m sure I screamed again, I’m sure I said a lot of things, but again, I was deaf to it. I was deaf to the world, so in turn, I turned away from the world. My head bent and my body began to shake as the fear and death all around began to slowly seep its way into my skin and pores.

“No.” My voice was firm and strong. It was tough and in-place. Yet at the same time, it was weak and pain-filled. It was, as my father always said, full of emotion. A single word can hold a jar full of emotion, was how my mother put it. But she was a girl. And girls were more emotional than boys, as I’ve personally witnessed. I, surely, would never cry if I got into a verbal fight with someone, as my twin sisters often demonstrated. No. I was male. I was strong... and I was in pain.

“Hayden,” came my father’s voice again. It wasn’t patronizing, nor was it condemning, but in my head it was. His voice should have been. I did something stupid, suffered for it, and was now suffering even more. He should have been getting mad at me, he should have been punishing me, but he wasn’t. No. He was being the amazing father he always was; understanding and patient. And I didn’t deserve it.

“Hayden, let me see. Please?”

“No.” The pain was the most pain I had experienced in my six years of life, and all I wanted was it to go away. And go away with my dignity in place, if possible. But I somehow doubted that.

“And why not?”

“Because.” You have to love kid answers, I sure did. Of course I had more intelligent answers in my head, as my father knew perfectly well. But that didn’t stop me from using them now and then. They were so much simpler.

“Hayden...”

“No.”

“And why not?”

“Because.”

“Hayden...”

“No.”

“And why not?” I knew what he was doing. I was, after all, really smart. But that didn’t stop that little kid part of me from taking control. He was hoping I would get annoyed and answer. And I knew he was doing that. But I
was annoyed, so I did answer.

“My mistake. I fix it. You taught me that, remember?” This earned me a smile As he bent down eye level to me. I hated it when he did that. He was acting like I couldn’t handle it myself. Like I was some little boy who still needed his Daddy’s help. Okay, so I was still a little boy, but I didn’t need my father rescuing me.

“Yes I did teach you that. But what else did I teach you?” I knew there was some logical answer, but for once my mind was blank. So I went for the funny answer. When in doubt, make them laugh... well, that was what my brother said. And it always worked for him.

“Not to play with my food?” Humor was never my strong point, but he did smile. I’m sure it was to humor me, though.

“Actually, your mother taught you that.” I smiled at that one. “I also taught you not to be afraid to ask for help. When you need it, ask for it. No shame. This is one of those occasions, Hayden.” I stared at him for a long moment, before speaking.

“Father?”

“Yes Hayden?” I heard the lip in his voice and scowled. I deserved it, so I continued.

“Can you help me. Please?” He smiled.

“Of course. But what did you learn?” Damn. I was hoping he forgot about the whole ‘learning’ aspect of our little conversations.

“Not to jump from trees?” I offered, glancing at my protruding bone from my left arm. It was still hurting, by the way.

“What else, Hayden?” I rolled my eyes now.

“To ask for help.” He nodded.

“Yes, and remember Hayden, even when in pain, you need to keep in your mind. Never let yourself go, not even to something as trivial as pain.”


So many screams. I could hear them all, feel them all vibrating through my body.

My hands gripped my head tightly. No! What the hell was going on? I had never experienced anything like this, nothing close. So why now? Why when it was so important? Why when I needed to be in my game?

Blood was everywhere. Gore was everywhere. Bodies were... bodies were... hey! I tried to say it out loud, and once again I’m not sure if I succeeded. It didn’t really matter, then again, did anything?

Pain was rippling through me, as was confusion and the need to help the Zaccur, and the need to help The Demonio. The feelings were battling each other, but when I saw what a demon was doing to Mack’s mutilated body, something in my mind snapped. No more. That was too much.

Everything was a blur, and I don’t remember much of that moment. I do remember launching myself, and for once not lurching, at the demon that was feasting on Mack’s body. No one would eat him, no one! Our bodies clashed with a sound louder than it should have been, and for once I didn’t hesitate to take action. I put reason and talking things out behind me and buried my hand into the demon’s neck. The next part I don’t remember. I don’t remember removing the head, nor do I remember throwing it or standing. I don’t remember snarling, or growling, but I do remember the looks.

From the Zaccur I got fear and shock. From The Demonio I got... pride? And also shock. I glared at them all, daring them, challenging them, with my eyes. No one would touch Mack. No one would mutilate his body any further. He was going to get buried, and I was going to do it. I was going to send him away with a prayer and a rightful passing, and I was going to grieve like crazy... and regret his passing every second. Especially since I was the one who caused it. If I had been myself and in the right mind, I could have, and would have, warned Mack right away. Instead, what did I do? Wish for it! I wished for him to die, and now he was dead. No one was to blame except myself.

So, looking around at all the bodies and the fighting still happening, I knew that I would never forget it; for all the deaths, Mack included, were on my shoulders.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, it's not edited.

Also, I know Damon and Audrey are the favorite, but I had orginally planned to have Hayden a main character, and not to give anything away, but there's a few chapters that will be mainly Audrey and Damon coming up, so that's why I didn't switch this perspective at all.