The Amalgamation Of Two Worlds

Reunion

Damon’s POV

I remember the first time I saw him. Laying bloody on the ground, dirt sticking to his open wounds, his hair messed and ripped out at certain areas. His body void of clothes, his hands balled helplessly at his sides. Water had been leaking his eyes, and when I saw that, my first response was disgust. He was beaten and weak. Why would I help him?

And then I saw his father. A big burly man, who hit him again. It brought my own memories to surface. For my father, well step-father, would do the same. But I saw the boy take the hits, not grunting in pain, or even whimpering in pain. And when his father forced him to look him in the face, the tears were gone, making his eyes look red from anger, and not pain. And for that, I admired him. He may show weakness, but not to the ones it mattered. So after his father left, I went up to him. In the end, we grew as friends. My step-father hated him, for because of be-friending him, I got in a lot more trouble. But I didn’t care, for I had someone to relate to. And when I left, the only thing I regretted was not forcing him to come. But he had a little brother at the time, and he wouldn’t leave his family.

I blinked, and blinked again. So familiar... could it be? I stared at the wolf who had saved Audrey. For surely he had been saving her, and not just aiming for the demon, right? I eyed him, and the wolf eyed me back. That’s when I laughed. A full laugh that echoed through the forest.

“Damn,” I said, pushing my battered body to my feet. All eyes were on me, and a few of the wolves let out warning growls. “It is you, isn’t it?”I surveyed the wolf and smiled. “Your eyes give you away, Caleb. Now cut this bullshit out and change.” The wolf in question stopped growling, tilted his head and let out a huff.

I ignored him and went over to Audrey who was staring at the wolf now, confusion in her eyes. I didn’t blame her. This was a rather strange situation.

I glanced back at Caleb, to find him in the process of change. More huffs were leaving him, but sounding more like grunts every second. The fur pulled back, revealing red flesh that slowly turned pink. His spine arched, the bones cracking and crashing in painful sounds, his paws morphed, and were not able to hold up his body weight anymore. His body, or the morph it was, crashed to the ground as it writhed, as bones elongated, and shrunk, as the nose disappeared, as with the tail. The only thing that remained the same were the eyes. Alert, watching. Everything shrunk back, and in a matter of minutes, Caleb lay on the ground, naked and breathing heavily.

I glanced again at Audrey who looked... stunned. And it took a lot to stun Audrey. I walked over to one of the dead corpses and pulled off the pants in a quick movement. I tossed them to Caleb who grunted and slipped them on, his hair sticking to his sweaty face. He stood, making his way to me.

“But... but...” Audrey stuttered, watching him. “It was so big...” that snapped my attention, and I felt amusement rising up. I glanced back at Caleb, who was also smiling.

“She says after she sees you naked.” I let out a loud laugh as her face burned red, and ol’ composed Audrey got flustered.

“His wolf! His wolf was big.” She quickly amended, but that didn’t stop my laughter. Caleb let out a small chuckle and smiled at her.

“A werewolf’s wolf is generally the size of the person, or larger. It’s very rare it’s ever smaller, or the size of a normal wolf.” I had to bite the inside of my cheek to stop from smiling. Audrey was just staring at him. Caleb glanced at me, and then back to her, giving her a small smile. “Go sit down, Audrey. You look like you need some rest. Damon and I have to talk.”

I was surprised when she glanced at me, as if asking permission. Did she hit her head or something? I gave a small nod, and she stumbled off toward the boy. That wiped all humor out of me.

“You didn’t say she was back in all of this.” I ignored Caleb, watching Audrey drop down beside the boy. He put his arm around her, smiling softly in a reassurance sort of way. And it irked me. “I’m not oblivious, Damon. I saw her neck.” Again, I didn’t respond. “Damn it, Damo-“

”I thought you were sending people,” I finally said. “I asked you to send people to help me. You shouldn’t be here.” I turned away, my eyes taking in the scene. Bodies scattered the ground, their faces torn off, even some limbs. The ground was red, as if it was the natural colour. The fire was still raging, but enough to the side to not be a worry, but close enough to keep alert.

“That the thanks I get for saving Audrey?” I spun on him, anger coming, but he cut me off. “Don’t bother. I saw the way you were trying to get to her.” He paused. “I intended on only sending help. But The Demonio came too close to killing Brian. I had to get us both out of there.” Both?

“Where-“

”He’s with Aus-“

”Austin?” Finished a voice, for him. “Yeah, the little brat is with me. Oh, I’ll only be gone a minute, just watch him. Screw you Caleb, I’m not your babysitter.” I spun, my eyes not believing what I was hearing.

I laughed as I saw him, standing angrily on top of a mound of bodies. He looked as he had the day he signed on with the king, only now... now he had his own scar running across his face. It was jagged and ripped, looking like someone had taken a hack saw to his face. But that made my smile grew. Austin wore it. He wore the scar like a badge, and it added to making him look more sinister.

His clothes were torn and bloodied, but again, he wore them with pride. Pride was never an issue with Austin, for he always had it. To add onto the already sinister scene of him standing on a mound of bodies, he had something hanging from his hand. To be more precise, someone hanging from his hand.

Brian was hanging upside down laughing, Austin holding his ankle. Brian was no longer small, too, which added to the already bizarre scene. He had to be what, nine now? Even with the age, he looked nothing like a demon. In fact, he looked more like Hayden than Caleb; angelic.

“Damon. Good to see you can still make blood rain.” I smiled.

“Good to see you can still survive anything.” He smiled at that.

“A massacre? Everyone around you dying? Why the hell should I join in? I’ve always preferred to make my own paths.”

Hayden’s POV

Blackness swirled. Blood soaked everything, and silence was eerie. I felt my body stiffen, and I had to push it aside. I thought the town had looked bad when under attack, but I was wrong. This was worse. Way worse.

Buildings were crashed down, some still spitting sparks. Power lines were laying across the streets, on top of bodies, and some bodies on top of them. The road was no longer a road. It was a graveyard. You couldn’t go a step without hitting a body, and the little bit of road you could see, was stained red. With blood. However, the strangest part of being in the city had to be the silence. A place that had been once so full of life, so full of humanity, now devoid of everything, was just wrong. No place should be stripped of its humanity, just as no one should be.

I could feel the darkness swirling in me, and part of myself, upon seeing this horror, felt a small sense of happiness. A sick giddy feeling that tried to jump out, to show itself. I held it back, but barely. Whatever was happening was growing, and I knew, unfortunately, that I was going to have to die. Either that, or I would turn into something I didn’t want to be. But truthfully, I didn’t want to die. I didn’t want to break my promise.

I finally opted to do what I should have done already; tell Damon. Next time we met up, well, if we met up, then I’d tell him. He was proving to be the only sane one among us, which was truly terrifying thought. Damon? The sanest? It was absurd but true. While we were all worrying about our fallen comrades, and about the deaths that were surely going to be catastrophic, Damon was taking charge. I was thankful he joined, and I just hoped I remained that way. For even though I was thankful he was with us, I still didn’t trust him. He did what he wanted to, and I doubted that would ever change.

“Angel, over here.” I didn’t even waste energy shooting a glare at Zoltan. There was no point to it. I followed his voice, to find himself along with the majority of the men we brought there. They were standing in front of a large conveyance store. I stopped near Zoltan, frowning. Why had he called me over here? And why were they just standing... and staring?

A frown found my lips as I turned to the store. It was dark, as everything was. I blinked rapidly, getting my vision to enhance. It shouldn’t have been that hard to switch over, but it was. Only adding on to the list of things slipping.

There was movement. Something in the store was moving and... and it wasn’t human. That much I could tell. I shot a look at Zoltan who lifted a shoulder.

“We need food. There’s food in there. Let’s go.” Something in me protested, but I ignored it. Zoltan was right. We needed to gather food and supplies, and this was the first place we came across. The faster the better.

Zoltan led the group to the doors which opened automatically, only stopping when they caught on a body. The whoosh sound that let off seemed to reach whatever was in the store, and the movement stopped. I frowned, also heading for the door. My foot had just reached the happy little welcome mat when it hit.

Pain slammed into my stomach, bringing my body instantly to the ground. My eyes rolled back into my head as blood leaked from the corner of my mouth. White agony ripped through my mind, sending my body writhing. And upon that, a darkness came, also tearing its way through me.

“No!” I hissed, but it did no good. Zoltan had turned to me, as had the men. But it was too late. Whatever had been in the building let out an inhuman screech, sending everyone’s hands to their ears. It reared, and the movement shot upwards to the roof of the building. It exploded through it, the roof shattering debris in every direction.

I tried to stand, but all my limps seized. I let out a pained sound and looked up, trying to get a view of this thing. But as soon as my eyes landed on the squirming shape, darkness rolled through me again. This time, so hot that I felt something in me snap, and everything darkened.