The Amalgamation Of Two Worlds

Passion

Audrey’s POV

I wanted to get away. To make Damon give chase, to make him work for me by his side. Why should I be compliant when he was going to drag me back down there? Why should I roll over for him, or lay down on my back? The world is give as you get. And Damon hadn’t given me a damn thing. Which was why I was gonna run, which was why I didn’t care if he was furious. Furious Damon I know how to handle. However, when Hayden screamed at me, not out of anger or fury, but out of sheer panic, I froze. Hayden wasn’t gone. I knew that and he knew that. But he was afraid of being gone, which I understood. What I didn’t understand was the giving up part. I fought my whole life, and I was still fighting, so to see him on his knees begging for death, confused me. I just couldn’t understand. But when he yelled at me? The Hayden begging for death was gone, it was replaced with the one I first met; the one trying to help. So that led to the question, what had he felt?

“Hayden?” I questioned quietly, still inching away. Damon’s eyes were now narrowed onto my moving body, obviously figuring out what I had been planning.

Don’t.” Damon hissed, the one word feeling like a whip across my face.

“Give me one good reason.” I countered, my eyes narrowing like his. I was sick of him acting all superior!

“You’ll both die.” The voice came from Hayden, and I was startled by the belief behind it. I turned my full attention to him, as did Damon.

Hayden was standing on wobbly feet, his face extremely pale and glistening with sweat. His eyes were blood shot and his nose couldn’t seem to stop running, but his voice... his voice held a sense of certainty. His feelings may be accurate, but not that accurate.

“Hayd-“

”No! Listen! I saw! You both die... and... and...” his face grew more pale as his body shuddered, “so do the others.” The others?

Damon’s POV

I had no idea what the hell Hayden was talking about, but I did know he believed it. Which theoretically meant I should too. Somehow, trusting a clave being overrun by darkness didn’t seem like a smart move to make. But Audrey... always the damn girl. She was listening, she was believing, and she was already causing my life hell. Yet again. So what to do? And if he was telling the truth, and something did kill everyone... damn it!

“What do you mean you saw?” I hissed, taking a few steps closer to his shaking form. “You feel. That’s it.” A bitter laugh left his lips and I tensed. That laugh was not his own. The words and voice that left him, however, were.

“How should I know? All I know is I saw you being basically turned inside out, Audrey being eaten, and Caleb being ripped in half! Does it matter how, or why I saw it?” No. It didn’t.

“Tighten the edges!” I yelled, not waiting to see if they followed my orders. I spun, my eyes narrowing in the direction Audrey was going to take off at, which happened to be the only way out. Hayden saw my eyes.

“Death lies that way.”

“Well rocks lie that way!” I snapped at him, my hand absently rubbing my head. A headache was beginning to form between my eyes, and of course it came at the worst possible time. Hayden had seen us all die, and so far none of his feelings were wrong, so why should his visions be wrong? This was just turning into too much. With the mutt epidemic all I had to do was kill people. Now? Now I had to deal with clave’s! A species I didn’t even know existed until a few days ago. Not only were their clave’s, but psychotic demon’s and some weird dark bloodthirsty monsters, and to top that all off? I almost took Audrey. What the hell was wrong with this world?

“Then move the rocks!” Snapped Hayden right back. Move the rocks? How was I supposed to do that?! Move the rocks...

“You’re all a bunch of weak, spineless, whipped-“ that did the trick. They all shoved harder, their faces reddening in exertion. My legs tensed as I felt the weight come down on me. My teeth gritted as my knees locked, and my arms already strained. I heard the rocks begin to tumble away, so I shifted, getting the new weight also on my shoulders. They shoved harder, and I found more weight on my shoulders.

There was no way we could move the entire rock wall. So we were creating a hole. Only problem with that? Create a hole... and rocks will fall to fill it. Unless something is blocking the hole. That something? Me. I heard the last of the rocks crumple, and I gritted my teeth harder.

They wasted no time climbing through my legs and around me to get to the other side. Hayden was the last to pass through, making sure Audrey did so first. He shot a weary glance backward, then at me.

“They’re dead without you, Damon. Don’t die.” I ignored him. Once he was through, I dived. The rocks crashed behind us, as planned, and as planned, the whole wall didn’t come down on all of us and kill us. Always good when the plan goes as planned.

“Stick close. We get up there. Grab everyone and hightail it to the town. We stand no chance out here, in the town? Maybe. Got it?” Nods spread across the group, except for Audrey who was staring across the river, her body rigid. The wind was spinning her hair and causing goose bumps to crawl up her arms and down her spine. I watched as they collected at the base of her neck, and something in my snapped.

I would always hate her in a sense. We would always argue and scream at each other. That’s who we were. We were each other’s opposite, but regardless... the thought of her dying sent such a sharp pain through me, I didn’t know what to do. Pain was usually something I could handle. But this pain made me want to end myself, and it confused the hell out of me.

I advanced Audrey, ignoring Zenon’s look, and Hayden’s nervousness, which was making him twitch. Right now, none of the matter.

My hand gently pressed against the back of her neck, where the goose bumps resided. She jumped and spun, something angry no doubt about to spew out of her mouth. But when she saw my eyes, her lips froze, a look of utter confusion crossing her face. What did she see in my eyes, that made her shut up so?

“Audrey,” I murmured, leaning close to her. She stood still; stock still. “Don’t you dare die on me. You got that?” I didn’t let her respond.

We’ve kissed a few times now, much to my internal dismay. But this was different. We’ve had tentative, heated, and angry kisses. This was a soft passion. When I pressed my lips to hers, when she accepted then, it tasted real. This was the real deal.

Warmth filled my cool body as her gentle lips pressed into mine. My hand tentatively rubbed the back of her neck, all the while my gut was churning. But the churning wasn’t due to the kiss, no it was due to the fear. I knew the chance of us making out of this alive. I knew the chance of Audrey, a human, living through it. My only consultation was that if she went down, so would I.

So with that thought, I lose myself in the momentary bliss of Audrey. The feel of her body, the taste of her lips, the light sounds that left her, and her warmth. All these feelings dwelled in me, and I knew, when the time came, I wouldn’t be able to walk away. And that thought, more than anything, even more than the crazy beasts, scared me the most. I had become attached to a human.