The Amalgamation Of Two Worlds

Light a Fire

Damon’s POV

Going into an unknown situation is never the best way to go. Add that onto Hayden’s death vibes, and the fact he didn’t know whether in his vision I died first or Caleb’s group did, we were walking into a lot of unknown territory. So I split us up.

I stuck Hayden with Zenon, merely because I didn’t need anymore death warnings. Having a heads up is one thing, having someone predicting your every moment? Not happening. I sent a few more men with them, created one last group, then took myself, Audrey and a few of the remaining men my way. My group would be walking right in, the other two would circle around. Suicide if anything was waiting for us, but then, what wasn’t suicided anymore?

I didn’t trust anyone else with Audrey, which was why she was stuck with me. Surprisingly, she didn’t say a word. Hadn’t since I kissed her, and if she kept it up, I was contemplating using that method to shut her up more often. Seemed effective.

I made it clear she was to stay behind me, which she was currently doing. While some may find a human breathing down their neck irritating, I found it oddly comforting.

The trees cris-crossed, giving us plenty of cover, but also giving anything ahead the same. The roots stuck up every now and then, making the path even more uneven. The wind was whistling softly, bringing an arctic chill to the night, letting me know snow was on the way. Something none of us needed.

I stopped, everyone else behind me following my lead. They were like puppies, following me around. I stop, they stop. I sit, they sit. I eat, they eat. Stupid obedient puppies, and while that’s good in an army, it wouldn’t hurt to have some men that could actually think for themselves. The only one who didn’t follow me around like a puppy was Audrey. Who, incidently, is the one who’d I prefer to follow me around like a puppy. If she sat when I told her to, stayed when I asked her, and did everything I said, life would be easier. But then she wouldn’t be Audrey.

I shut my eyes momentarily, listening to the sounds; the whistling wind; the heavy breathing of Audrey; the crackling of a fire...

“Caleb.” I murmured, as loud as I dared. Then I waited. And waited. Audrey remained quiet, something I was thankful for, as did the men. I knew the men would, for if they didn’t, I’d have their throats.

Audrey’s POV

Is it possible to lose your nerves? To lose the very feelings that stand on edge every time something big and mean is lurking? If so, I hoped it would happen soon. I was sick of the waiting, the anticipation, and the being helpless. If I was going to die, I wanted to die now. Not after dealing with all of this.

Damon obviously had something planned, what, I didn’t know. But for once, I didn’t care. I would never understand him. Not now, not later, and not in the future... if we had one... if there was one.

So I waited. And waited, until I nearly jumped out of my skin. Damon, along with the other men, remained composed, something I envied them for.

Caleb stood in front of us, having seemed to pop out of thin air. Damon’s eyes narrowed, and though all remained silent, It sounded like a war going on between the two. Both of their eyes were locked onto the others, narrowed into slits, and both bodies seemed to be radiating the kill vibe. You know when a lion looks at a bloody steak? And he sees his meal, and he begins to drool and salivate, and all he sees is what’s about to be destroyed? It was that look between them, minus the need to eat.

“If your skulking, now’s not the time.” Caleb murmured. For a second I thought Damon would argue, but he didn’t.

“I have two groups circling around. Intercept them and turn around. We leave now.”

“You’re worried.” Again, I thought Damon would argue. He didn’t.

“Hayden’s started having death visions. Myself and Audrey died in another area, you and your men in the area you all sleep in. We move now.” Caleb paled, something I didn’t know werewolves could do. One word left his lips before he was gone as quick as he came; Brian.

Damon’s POV

Have you ever stolen something? Even as trivial as a cookie? Have you ever had that mind blowing panic that for a second, you think everything in your life is about to come crashing down? Then seconds later, it’s gone, replaced be a high that sends you soaring? But again, in mere seconds it’s gone, this time replaced by something else; common sense. Where was the parent to slap your hand for taking the cookie? Or the guards to beat you for taking a sword? Have you ever wondered if it’s been too easy, because usually when that’s the case, something comes along to screw it up.

I didn’t trust this. We were all gone. Away from the camp sight, Brian holding Caleb’s hand, Gabriel and Audrey hanging a ways back to talk, and all the men safe. All. Not one casualty. It wasn’t right. I didn’t want the men to die, destroying The Demonio was going to be a hard feat, we needed every man we had. But it wasn’t natural. So the next logical option was that Hayden was wrong, but while I thought it, wanted and wished to believe it, my gut tugged my mind in another direction; we only delayed it. Like the kid who stole the cookie and thought he got off scotch free, when it turned out his mother waited for his father to get home to do the whipping. One form of an evil to another, only prolonged, and in the prolonging, the pain goes up a notch.

“Audrey. Gabriel. Get in the damn middle, you’re like a bunch of walking turkey’s waiting for the bullet.” They listened, oddly enough, but I’m sure I felt Audrey’s glare in the back of my skull.

“You’re tense.”

“Really.” I said it meekly, not wishing to have Caleb at my side. He was good and, technically my friend, but he did something. The something however, I didn’t know. He was always a good fighter, but never that good.

“Drop it, Damon. What’s up? You’re thinking, and the look on your face isn’t exactly comforting.” I considered punching him, and then I considered stabbing, burning, maiming, kicking, shoving and mainly just hurting him, but I didn’t. If I gave into every violent urge I ever had, Audrey would be dead. And for the moment, I needed Caleb’s brains and strengths.

“It’s evaded. Momentarily. It’ll hit us soon.”

“You never did like the unknown.” I shot him a deadly glare.

“Shut up, Caleb.” He just smiled wider.

“About that, sure. About Audrey? No. Is what I seeing-“

”No.”

“Zenon said-“

”He’s a lunatic.”

“But Hayd-“

”He’s dark.”

“Austin thinks-“

”Austin is blood thirsty.” Caleb stopped trying to speak and stared at me, a smile spreading way to high on his face.

“I knew it. From the start.” I growled.

“Watch where you tread, Caleb.” He laughed.

“I’m surprised you can still threaten, shouldn’t your lips be doing something else?” My anger flared, but I caught it, barely holding it. “Damon and Audrey.” He pondered. “I can see it now, a wedding at midnight an-“ part of me wishes it was I who shut him up, the one who tore the smile off his face, but it wasn’t. The other part wishes I had been more aware, and not busy arguing with Caleb.

Brian went flying, letting lose a scream that immediately alerted the others. Caleb was frozen, his mouth slightly open, shock on his face. Blood oozed out of his mouth, and the five long gashes through his mangled torso. He looked at me for a moment longer, shock still there, before his knees gave way. Part of me wanted to scream at them for them attacking my friend, for pushing him so close to death, but I didn’t, I couldn’t. Caleb could survive that... as long as he got treated. He could when we were teens, and no doubt with whatever he had done that enhanced his fighting, would also help him survive. But it still nerved me, and Audrey’s blood curdling scream didn’t help. He would survive... right? I didn’t have time to dwell, or move his seemingly lifeless body to safety.

It took mere seconds for the panic to set in, and it was about the same time the creature let out its signature sound, sending us all to our knees, hands over our ears. Despite the pain, I made my way quickly to Audrey and Gabriel, scanning the trees as I did so. There was one. That I could see and detect, which didn’t account for much. But what else was I to do?

I tackled Audrey, probably not the most effective method of getting close, but it worked. She gasped, and I unclasped one of her hands to press my lips to her ear. This time, desire didn’t run through me. All I could see was Caleb’s blood.

“Take Gabriel and Brian. Get to the city, it’s North. Follow the damn star if you have to, but get there. Grab fire. Matches, or whatever else humans use. Hole up. Find a base, and stay. If neither myself or Hayden show up in three days, leave, and head as far west as possible. Try to outrun them. Now go.” Her eyes stared at me, the fear now gone and replaced with that of her emotionless look. For a moment, I thought she’d argue and waste the time I couldn’t afford to waste. That she’d do what she’s good at; running her mouth. But she didn’t, instead she shocked me.

“Alright. But don’t die, Damon. And you had better be there in three days.” She grabbed Gabriel and took off in the direction Brian had gone flying in. I watched, uneasily aware that while watching her, I couldn’t hear the chaos around me. And it was chaos, with the creature now attacking, and my men dropping like ants.

I kept my eyes on Audrey until she made it to the end of our group, and then turned. I could be sending her to her death. I could be sending her to the mouth of another creature, but deep down, I believed she’d get to the city. Audrey was too stubborn not to. So with that, I pushed her out of my mind and turned to the creature.

“Tighten the edges! Centre drop! Aim at his damn eyes you morons! And someone light a fire!”