Power Of The Moons.

Chapter 18

When I finally opened my eyes, I wasn’t in my normal bed. In fact, I wasn’t even in my room. I slowly began to sit up; resting on my elbows, I brought a hand my hand and pressed against my temple. My head felt as if it had been bashed inward. I let out a low groan and looked around. I was on a queen-sized bed. An unnatural bright light glowed throughout the room.

I blinked against the light until my eyes adjusted. The room was simply, there was a small fireplace, no crystals, it was as if I had been transported. Maybe it had all been a dream. That thought fleeted as soon as the door opened. Mason walked in with Blue. They were both talking in low voices, blue held the tray, and Mason was carrying a pitcher of water. When they saw me, they both stopped. “You’re awake!” Blue said joyously. She came forward quickly, dropped the tray on a table beside the bed, came, sat on the bed, and touched my forehead.

“Yeah.” I smiled, “I am.” Mason came up and touched Blue’s shoulder; she turned and looked at him. They passed some silent message and she nodded, “Well I’ll see you shortly. I have…to go do my wash.” She scurried out of the room. Mason watched her go then turned and smiled at me and sat on the bed.

I moved more pillows behind me so I could sit up without exhausting my energy. We remained silent for a few minutes, both looking in opposite directions. Finally he cleared his throat and looked at me, “How do you feel?”

I took a deep breath, “Better actually. Some flu huh?” I asked with a small smile.
He looked away again, and stared intently on the opposite wall, unconsciously running his hand through his hair, “Yeah….some flu….” He replied.

“Where am I?” I asked looking around curiously.
He looked at me this time and grinned, “I’ll give you a hint. A million girls would kill to be lying in this bed.”
I choked on air, “Your room?!” I squeaked.
He burst out laughing for a minute, “No!” He laughed, “But that’s sweet of you to think a million girls would want me.” He laughed again, “This is Jessie’s room.”
I looked around with sudden disgust, “Why am I here?”

“Because you were sick with a high fever, we really didn’t think the musty air and no sunlight was doing you any good.” He said seriously, “And this is the best room.” He pointed to the ceiling, which I now saw was something like glass, but not. More crystal? “It lets sunlight in, and there are even vent to let fresh air in. Jessie was gracious enough to let you have his room.”

“So why would a million girls want Jessie?” I asked.
Mason looked at me with a weird look, “Does nothing about being the leader explain?” He asked. Right, girls would want to have favor with Jessie because he was in control.
“So why don’t they try?” I asked.
He laughed again, “It’s not our way. We all wait for our soul mate, that’s how it’s always been, and how it will always be. But they still flirt.” He laughed.
“So it’s like waiting for marriage?” I asked. He nodded as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, “I like that.” I told him, “I believe in that sort of stuff.” He nodded then noticed the food tray, pulled it forward, and placed it on my lap.

“Eat.” He told me, “You need to get your strength up.”
I began to eat, “How long have I been out for?”
He shrugged and ran a hand through his hair again, “A while.”
I rolled my eyes, “How long is a while? I need to know, I want to diagnose myself and see if I need any antibiotics.” I told him. He gave me a sidelong glance, “About three days.”
I sat up completely, “Three days!” I exclaimed, “That’s…how bad was my fever!” I demanded.

He looked away at the wall again, “How bad!” I demanded in a low voice, he mumbled something incoherent, “What was that?” I asked my eyes narrowing, he said it a little louder, but I still couldn’t make it out, “Tell me!” I yelled at him.
He looked at me, “105!” he yelled back. My eyes widened, “I could have died….” I said.
He looked away, “I know.” He said softly, “I know.”
Suddenly I had no appetite, “That’s high, even for a flu…” I told him, “And the flue doesn’t just have a fever…this isn’t the flu. It’s something else.” I said to myself, he was nodding to himself as well.

“What kind of sickness has there been in the caves? Anything you can remember that would have been as I had? Remember, I wouldn’t be immune to the things you all are.”
He still looked away, “You sickness is known…” he said carefully.
I frowned, “Well? What happens?” I asked folding my arms, “Do you have cure? Drugs?”
He sighed deeply then looked at me with a pained expression, “It is not my place to say. I have to leave. Good day Rory.” He left with swift footsteps out of the room. I glared after him, but the door didn’t get a chance to close before Jessie entered the room.

I sighed. Not him again, “Evening Rory, how are you feeling.” He asked as he pulled up a chair.
“Splendid, are you here to give me answers?” I asked, “Since Mason couldn’t.”
His face remained impassive, “I commanded Mason to not say a word to you, and this is my entire fault, therefore my responsibility to tell you.” He took a small breath, “I’m not going to try and get around telling you the severity of things, being a doctor I know you will respect being told the truth.” I nodded once, suddenly afraid, but I needed to know, there was something they were keeping from me.

He cleared his throat, “You’ve been infected.” He said simply, “With a….disease of sorts…they have a medical term for it, one I don’t remember, but we call it Night Curse.” I raised an eyebrow. “Night Curse? What sort of name is that?”

“I’m sorry we aren’t very creative Rory, it’s just what we’ve called it….for a long time, so the name stuck.”
“Very well, what is this disease? What do I have to worry about?” I asked.
He frowned, “Please I will explain everything.” I nodded and motioned for him to continue, “I know it seems strange, that night when we first found you, humans hiding out in a system of underground caverns, hiding from the government.” He said, “I know you have many questions, some have been answered, but most have not. I wished for this to remain a secret from you, but seeing that you live here, you are right, you do have a right to know.” He sighed.

“As you know, the Government created ‘super’ humans.” He said, and I nodded listening carefully, “The Government had experiments, something the armies came up with, almost a hundred years ago.” My moth dropped open in astonishment.

“That’s impossible!” I exclaimed, “‘super’ humans have just showed up a few years ago.”

He nodded, “Very true, but the experiments were from long ago.” He sighed, “This is a very complex history, so you must pay attention.” I nodded, “Sorry.” He nodded and continued, “It was then, the experiments went wrong for them. Over a hundred years ago, it’s why the walls were built, for security measures. The forests weren’t always wild you know.” He grinned as if enjoying an inside joke then continued, “The first experiments weren’t what they expected; they were wild creatures, uncontrollable things that escaped, so they built walls to protect themselves and the people inside.

“It has taken them thing long to ‘perfect’ the experiments. The ‘supers’ as you know them as are the perfection of a drug the armies created. They are the ultimate weapons, nearly indestructible. We call them by something different, Vampires.” He said. “The drug has a side effect for them, it feeds on them, so they drink blood to sustain themselves and keep themselves alive. Its why there has been such disappearances in the cities, and murders, it’s the ‘supers’ as you may have already known. They let them feed for their protection, protection from the things outside the walls.”

“What is out here?” I asked, “I’ve been in the woods for some time, there isn’t anything out here that seems dangerous.”
Jessie smiled, “You are correct, they lied to everyone. Well not at first, but there is no longer any threat.” Then he frowned, “They put false fear into people, the dangerous beasts from long ago are not so dangerous anymore, but they want to get rid of the mistake…the threat.”

I was confused, he explained where they came from, but I still didn’t understand what he was talking about. Then something dawned on me, “The radiation…” I said quietly.”
“What was that?” Jessie asked.
“The radiation from the moons, that’s what the doctor was talking about wasn’t he?” I asked.
“How did you know about the moons radiations?” He asked surprised.
“The doctor left behind his journal….there was mention of something to do with the moons radiation; I don’t understand most of it though.”

Jessie nodded, “The two moons give off different radiations, harmless to you humans and animals, but to the Vampires, and the creations before them it’s their power source. The blue moon feeds the Vampires their strength, but it also makes them hungrier, but it is when they are the strongest. The green moon feeds the others, makes them stronger as well.”

“I’m still confused, what are the other creations? Why were they dangerous then, and not now?” I asked.
Jessie looked at me with a strange expression, “Have you not noticed anything different about us Rory? Have you really not been able to guess?”

I thought about everything for a moment, “Are you…the creatures?” I asked, “The ‘failed’ experiments?” He nodded once; I kept going when I began to realize, “The healings!” I yelled, “That’s why no one ever stays sick very long, or why they heal so fast….it’s the experiment!” I gasped.

He nodded his head seriously, “Yes. It all started very long ago, the Government only uses people of the army, and even then only certain people with certain blood types, I’m not sure how that all works. But loyal soldiers were put under the tests, most died, others…well.” He opened his hands I nodded. It was beginning to make sense.

“So, why were you failed?” I asked, “Why did they consider you dangerous? Why the walls? Why everything?”

Jessie sat back in his chair and looked me over, as if he were trying to decided if I was worthy enough or not. “Harvey…come in here please.” He said. The door opened and Harvey came into the room, “Show her.” He said. Harvey looked at me with a fierce grin then, before my eyes, he transformed in a heartbeat, and he was a wolf.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I havent updated in a few day you guys. I hope you enjoyed it though!
Comments and banners!
_CORRI_