Power Of The Moons.

Chapter 3

Rory’s eyes suddenly rolled back into her head and she fell forward and fell into my chest. I let out a sigh. I gently laid her on the dock and grabbed the other body and threw it into the water. The fish wouldn’t be able to feed off their flesh for years so if anyone ever looked for them here they would be able to find them.

I picked the girl back up and carried her to their car. Which was parked a couple of blocks down in another old abandoned warehouse. The black tinted windows and black exterior blended nicely with the blackness of the old warehouse. I opened the back seat door and slid her onto the leather seats. The keys were still in the ignition, the idiots didn’t even care to take them out.

I turned the keys and the car rumbled to life then idled softly. I drove slowly down the rows of old warehouses and docks. I didn’t turn the lights on until I got into the more busy part of town.

I stopped at a stop light and looked out my window. A beggar was sitting next to a building with a blanket and a hat asking for money to any passer byes. The fool wouldn’t last very long. They would pick him off. The homeless are the easiest to hide. I let out another sigh and looked over my shoulder.

She was still out. Her chest rose and fell softly. Her wet hair still stuck to her face. I turned back around and the light turned green and I drove forward. It took an hour to reach the other end of the city. It would be easier to get out here. I parked the car in a garage and carried her to an old house that I used occasionally. The city was full of them. Random people went missing all the time and that meant a few empty houses as well. I took the key from its hiding place, opened the back door and slipped inside.

The small kitchen had a small round table, a couple of cupboards, little counter space, a small fridge, and propane stove. I walked to the opposite side into the living room then to the only room in the house. The wallpaper had begun to peel of the walls. The old flower design was faded. I laid her on the single bed and pulled the old blue blanket around her. I stood over her.
Why was I helping this girl?
Don’t start again. I argued with myself.
I can’t help it. I shouldn’t be like this; they didn’t make me this way. I should be… I couldn’t finish my thought. My stomach churned and knotted at the thought, but it shouldn’t be, my stomach should be rumbling and my mouth should be watering with venom, but it wasn’t.

I wanted to take her wet clothes off, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. Maybe she’ll die of hypothermia and then I’ll be free. I thought bitterly, but then I looked at her face and I knew I wouldn’t like it if that happened.

I left the room and closed the door softly. I went to the living room, pulled up the loose floorboard, and pulled out the cash I had stored there. I took a few one hundreds out and put the rest back and left the house; locking the door behind me.

It was only a block to the nearest store. I walked down the aisles with a cart and got some supplies. I didn’t know what food she ate so I just got what most humans liked: macaroni and cheese, potatoes, eggs, cheese, bread, and some desserts.

I paid for everything and carried the bags back to the house. I panicked when I saw the lights of the kitchen on and started to run, but then I remembered that I had left the lights on. Stupid. Why am I acting this way? I kicked an empty trashcan a few yards, unlocked the door, and placed the bags on the table.

The house was cold so I turned the heat on. I should have done that first but my thoughts had been jumbled. My thoughts were never jumbled, they shouldn’t be jumbled. I put everything away and took the jeans, shirt, and blanket to her room. I placed the blanket on her and put the clothes in a pile next to her bed. I wanted to wake her and tell her to get dressed into some dry clothes. But how would she react? She might just pass out again. I let out another sigh and left. She would wake up eventually.

I laid down on the living room couch. It was far too small and my feet hung over the edge. I closed my eyes and listened, the neighborhood was quiet; except for a few walkers that would go by with their dogs, or the occasional car that would pass. I listened for hours in the silence. The quiet was a comfort. I lay like a stone until morning when I opened my eyes. The sun was hardly up but already I could hear cars pulling away from home going to work. I left the small couch and started making breakfast.

I heard her wake up then. The bad creaked as her weight shifted. I waited and a few minutes later I heard her quiet footsteps enter the kitchen. I knew she was standing behind me. But I didn’t turn to look at her I just continued to scramble the eggs.

~ ~ ~ ~

I woke up shivering. My hair was dry but my clothes were still damp. I opened my eyes. The small window showed the sun rising. I looked around. The room was empty except for a small pile of clothes on the floor. I had passed out. I knew that much, but where had he taken me? Why had he taken me? Better yet, why had he saved me?

I changed clothes and instantly I felt better and a little warmer, but I took the blanket and wrapped it around me. I expected the door to be locked but to my surprise, it opened with ease. I stepped softly on the hard floor, saw the light in the kitchen on, and stepped forward.

His back was turned to me. He was scrambling eggs. He wore a dark pair of jeans with a black t-shirt. I looked at the table and decided to sit in one of the two chairs. I pulled one back, sat down, tightened the blanket, and watched him cook. After a while, the eggs were done and he grabbed a plate from the counter without looking and dumped the eggs on it. He turned to me. We looked at each other for a moment.

He was the same as I remember him. His silver/grey eyes, red lips, and dark hair. I looked away to hold back the desire to scream and run. I shifted in my chair and looked out the window again. I heard him place the plate in front of me along with a fork. I looked away from the window to my food. I didn’t look at him. I could see his outline out the tops of my eyes.

He let out a quiet sigh and stood. He opened the fridge that was behind me. I listened to every move he made as I ate the eggs. I couldn’t even taste them. I was afraid of this man, but at the same time I was curious. Why hadn’t he left me for dead last night? Why did he save me four years ago? I knew what he was, he was a super human. Government, so why was he here? I realized then that there were no more eggs on my plate so stared out the window again.

He cleared his throat. I still stared out the window. He cleared his throat again, “Would you like some orange juice?” He asked. His voice was rough…deep, but it suited him. I nodded my head and still looked out the window. I heard him push the glass towards me. I looked down but it was empty so I looked out the window again.

“Are you going to look at me?” He asked. I bit my lip, looked away from the window to the table, and slowly ran my eyes in his direction. First I saw his hands; they were folded patiently on top of the table. His white arms then his black t-shirt, his neck, then his face, he was looking at me of course.

“Thank you.” He smiled softly and I took a quick breath and nodded once. If I’m so afraid why don’t I run? I looked at his eyes. He saved my life…
“You have a nag for trouble.” He said then. “This is the second time I’ve had to save you.” He turned his head slightly to the side and smiled. I looked down.
“I didn’t ask you too…” I said quietly.

“I know. That’s what bothers me.” He admitted. I looked at him curiously. The sun had begun to stream through the windows and they touched his face, and he closed his eyes and let out a breath of relief.

“Who are you?” I asked. His eyes opened.
“You don’t know what I am?” He asked surprised. I shook my head.
“I know what you are…but who? Why did you save me? Why do you care?” I asked.

“Ah.” He said, “I really don’t have a name. I mean…I did…once. I just don’t…remember…and it’s not who I am anymore…” He shook his head and moved on, “I can’t really answer the last two questions. Four years ago I saved you…I don’t know why. You left you’re bag behind; it had your I.D inside of it. I couldn’t just let you be found so I took everything that would identify you so you wouldn’t be caught. Why do I care?” He asked himself the question again. He paused to think about it. “I don’t know why I care. I was…made not to care…yet…” He looked at me with curiosity and didn’t speak again. We sat in silence, the sun slowly drifted through the whole kitchen. It helped warm me up.

“I have to leave. I will be back tonight. Don’t leave the house, and keep the doors locked if you want to live.” He stood up then went to the door. He opened the door then paused and looked at me, “Please stay.” He said quietly then left.
This is you’re chance, get out of here.
I can’t. He…he saved my life, I owe him. I knew that my thoughts were right. I did owe him, whether I liked it or not; though I still argued with myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright I buckled and posted another chapter of this story since its winning right now. Hope you liked it!
Comments and banners
_CORRI_