Power Of The Moons.

Chapter 5

She quickly fell asleep on my back and I started searching for a safe place for her to sleep while I could hunt. I found a mossy area under a large tree and placed her there. I took the blanket from my bag and laid it over her. She was well hidden and I wouldn’t be gone for very long. Besides, the danger would be when we were further away from the city. I left the bags with her and started running.

I took a deep long breath and started to cycle through the scents. There wasn’t anything yet so I took another breath. Then I smelt a small hint of deer. I ran faster, the trees were a blur in my mind. I took shorter breaths and followed the scent, as it got stronger with every stride I took. I was easily six miles from Rory when I stopped two minutes later in a clearing. I smelled the air again. The deer were close. I crossed the small clearing and saw a small river, the deer where there, drinking. I zeroed in the largest of them and pounced. I broke its neck in mid air and landed easily on top of it. The deer scattered when I hit the ground. I had been so quiet they hadn’t even seen me coming.

~ ~ ~ ~

The birds chirped loudly and I rolled over to get comfortable. But I was already awake so I stretched and yawned. I was underneath a large tree on a mossy area. A warm blanket was over me. I sat up. “Hello?” I called out.

No one was there. His bag and mine were next to me. “I’m here.” He said then.
I looked up. He was the trees larger branches about fifteen feet up. He was leaning against the tree with his legs in front of him. The sun had hit him, but hadn’t reached me yet. He jumped down from the tree and landed gracefully next to me.

“Are you ready to go? We have a lot of ground to cover today.” He said slipping his bag on his back. I nodded my head. He took the blanket and packed it then knelt down waiting for me.
“What?” I asked.
“Get on. We will cover a lot more ground this way.”
“I can walk. I do it every day.” I said folding my arms.

“I know you can walk. But this is faster. Please just get on.” He said getting frustrated. I let out a sigh and climbed onto his back. He held me up and started running. The first hour I was in complete amazement. He ran as fast as a car if not faster. His breathing remained steady, and he never slowed, or got tired. Eventually the excitement wore of and I got bored. The endless passing of tree’s and rivers, sometimes we would cross a field or two. I was amazed at the size of the trees. They towered just as high as most buildings in the city; they were thick too. A house could easily be built in one.

The day passed slowly. He stopped to let me eat lunch then started running again. We didn’t talk, he was focused on his running and he seemed to be tired of my questions. I wasn’t afraid of him anymore. He was different. Whenever I had seen ‘super’ humans on the street a shiver had run down my spine and I would quicken my pace. I would see a news report of the super human technology on TV and I would turn it off. They frightened me; it was instinct to have fear of them it seemed. But this man was different. I was curious, not afraid. He was super human, but he wasn’t one of them.

I started to get dark and he found us a place to stay the night under another thick tree that would protect us from any rain. He started a small fire and heated some soup from a can he had packed. I looked up to the sky and saw the stars starting to appear. It was the first time I had seen them in years
.
“I’ve thought of a name for you.” I said then. He looked at me. “I mean, if you don’t want a name that’s fine, but I just thought…” I stopped talking, when I thought about it I sounded stupid, it was worse when I said it aloud. I looked up at him and saw that he was smiling.

“What?” I asked.
“You fascinate me.” He smiled and looked up to the sky, “I would love to have a name. Most of us get new names, or name ourselves after…” He trailed of let out a sigh then looked me in the eye, “I would love one.” He finished.
I smiled, “Well you remind me of someone. And when you said I reminded you of someone it reminded me of him and well…it suites you…”
“So tell me.”
“You’re going to laugh.” I said.

“I won’t laugh at you.” He promised. I let out another sigh and stared at the stars again.
“Damien.” I said quietly to the stars and moons.
“Damien.” He repeated. I looked at him and saw that he was silently laughing.
“You said you wouldn’t laugh.” I pointed out.
“I’m not laughing at you; I’m laughing because...I like it.” He smiled.
“Oh.” I stared at the fire.
The soup finished cooking and I ate it straight out of the can. “So how old are you?” He asked.

“Twenty.” I said scraping the last of the contents from the can.
“And you’re a nurse?” He asked surprised.
I shook my head, “Not exactly, I’ve gone to three years of medical school, and I help out at the hospital. It’s like hands on training.” I shrugged.

“Do you like it there?” He asked.
I nodded my head, “Yes. What about you?” I asked.
“What about me?”
“Well, how old are you?” I asked.
He shifted his weight, “I don’t know exactly...”
“Oh….well where are you from?” I asked.
“I don’t know.” He said again.
“Family? Friends? Anything?” I asked surprised.
He shook his head, “I don’t remember any of it…just small glimpses. Like sparks of a fire they…disappear.” He watched the sparks fly up from the fire then looked away into the dark.
“I’m sorry.” I said seriously, he just shrugged and we were silent again. I fell asleep sometime after that. I lost track of time and I soon was enveloped in my dreams.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all! I'm Co-author of the story: http://www.mibba.com/story/Spring-Water/Fifty-Things-To-Do-Before-I-Die

Read it and I hope you like it, and Read some of her other stuff to, its pretty fun stuff to read. = ) I enjoy it at least.

Hope you liked the update.

_CORRI_