Daddy's Little Defect

Prologue

"Dad, I think I want to go to a community college you know nothing too fancy," Riley said taking a seat at the kitchen table across from her dad. Her father looked up at her, a serious expression on his face.
"What? You can't be serious, Riley." He was really irritated and she immediately regretted what she had said.
"Well I, mean I'm not even sure what I want to be. I don't want to waste your money, dad."
Mr. Mason set his newspaper down his eyes penetrating into his daughters, manipulating her naive mind.
"Yes, you do, you know exactly what you want to be. Must I remind you that you are going to follow in my footsteps and become an engineer? Riley, we've been planning out your future as an engineer for so long, why do you just want to throw that all away?"
She sighed, "You're right dad, I'm sorry." She couldn't even bring herself to look at him. All he'd done to move them forward and here she was being all dramatic.
She felt her father's hand on hers she hesitantly looked up at him, "That's my girl," He smiled.
She smiled back just glad that he wasn't disappointed in her.

Summer vacation was coming to an end and soon she would be starting college, it was but another opportunity to make her father proud and there was nothing more she desired.
"I'm positive San Diego State will accept you so don't even worry, darling," He smiled.
"Yeah," She agreed a huge smile forming on her pink lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment?