The year the gypsies came

Chapter 5- Giraffe boy

We kept talking with Cathy for some time, it went from standing by the patio door to walking around the garden and eventually we picked a neat spot in the garden (as there are a few squabble spots in our garden from me and Sarah) and sat down.

Cathy and I seemed fine with this idea, but Sarah is a neat freak. She had to brush off her denim skirt, the floor and make sure she sat nowhere near anything slightly dirty. But trying to tell her this is a garden not a ballet studio would not have gone down well. We sat and talked about everything, girls, enemies, clothes (although Cathy at first did not seem the best to discuss this sort of thing with, considering her sense in fashion, but surprisingly I was wrong) we talked about plants and generally us.

Mostly herself as Sarah and me insisted, as she seemed to have such an exiting and exhilarating life compared to the rich unique family we have got going. But eventually Amelia called us in for bedtime.

There was only one bad thing about tonight and that was meeting Cathy and talking until bedtime meant I didn’t have time to see Huigo, this meant I could not sleep for at most an hour, especially because of that howling coming from outside.

Wait a second that does not sound like an animal. I looked out the window to see a human like figure running round the garden screeching. I decided to check it out, so putting my dressing gown and trying to get downstairs as quietly as possible without the possibility that Sarah or worse, mother would hear me.

I got to the conservatory to see and there, sat on the patio in what looked like giraffe pyjamas was Kieran. He obviously heard my rubbish attempt at quietness and as soon as I got to the door without looking he said “hi, what are you doing up so late, its known to be scary at this time of night”

“Well I can ask you the same question Mr. Giraffe” I said with a slight giggle in my voice.
“Haha funny, I could make fun of you too posh totty, especially your mother, yeah what you going to say back to that”
“Noting actually, I agree,” I said laughing; you could hear a slight laugh under his breath. But nothing you would expect anyone to hear in a crowded room. “Well then, what are you doing out this late running around and squealing”

“It helps me calm down and release my anger in the evening, you know having a sister like Sarah is not half as bad as Ralph, I don’t know what it is, just the way he is around girls freaks everyone out, so my parents were a bit reluctant to let us come here because of you girls” he said, like something had saddened his heart for a moment, but seconds later he had perked up again.

“ Well you cant exactly count me as a girl, I’m called a tomboy in this house” I said giggly again. But I did not get the reaction I had hoped for, instead I got a confused glance.
“A tomboy?” Kieran muttered, he obviously did not like asking questions, he like knowing everything for himself.
“ Yeah its like a girl who acts like a boy” I said trying not to make Kieran sound stupid.

“Oh” he said and for the first time in ages, he laughed “ I think we are going to get along ok then, I don’t like girly girls” he said whinging, it made me a bit annoyed he was dissing my sister, but then again, I made a friend.
“I need to go to bed now” I said, laughing a little as he told me another after 4 jokes. “ok then Josie, see you in the morning, I will see Sarah too, unless Ralph has killed her” he said with a malicious intent in his eyes, yet a smile on his face. My face however was not very amused.
♠ ♠ ♠
I LOVE THIS CHAPTER