Glass Half Empty - Glass Half Full

Dakota

Dakota felt two cool hands slide over her eyes and giggled under her breath, she knew exactly who it was, who it always was, but she was going to play along. Was going to, until Carmen blurted out Jak's name. Dakota smiled and turned to the other half of her best friend, watched with a smile as Carmen berated him, and tugged on his sleeve. She pulled on Jak's other hand and stopped her two best friends.

"Ah, ah ah! Hugs first!" She said with a grin, and promptly pulled her two best friends into a would-be bear hug, if the petite girls arms could reach round them both. Hugs over, and Dakota happy, she linked arms with Jak on her right, and Carmen on Jak's right. As they wandered down the high street Dakota spotted Blue Banana, her all-time favourite shop, and immediately starting tugging Jak towards it. It took her a few seconds to realise she wasn't moving, and looked back to realise Jak was also being pulled in the opposite direction by Carmen, and wore a rather pained expression on his face.

"Carmmm!" Dakota whined, stamping her foot and letting go of Jak's hand, "I wanna go into Blue Banana!"

Carmen frowned back at her friend, and whined straight back, "But I wanna go into Nefertiti first! Then BB! Outfit then accessories!"

Both girls, being extremely stubborn, raised their voices and started talking over each other, until Jak clamped a hand over each of their mouths, and spoke in his soft, calm voice, "Right, heads, Blue Banana first, tails, Nefertiti first, okay?"

Dakota looked over at Carmen as she nodded, then quickly followed suit. Dakota waited in her over exaggerated pose, leaning forward slightly in anticipation, bright eyes watching the coin Jak flipped into the air and caught expertly. Dakota waited with baited breath as Jak revealed the coin, and promptly squealed when it showed the head of her country's monarch. Dakota grabbed Jak's wrist in one hand, and Carmen's in the other, half skipping, half dragging her best friends into her favourite shop.

Chaos ensued as Dakota skipped around the shop, holding up pieces of clothing particularly bright in colour or outstanding, and holding them up against herself, giggling. Dakota spotted a particularly gorgeous dress towards the back of the shop, snatched it from its railing and held to herself, calling to get Jak's attention, "Perfect one?" She called as the boy looked up from a pair of skinny jeans. There was a second where Jak looked completely lost, until Dakota spotted another dress, holding that against herself as well, "Wait, what about this one?" Soon, Dakota was holding at least four dresses against herself, and Jak chewed his lip as he made his way over to her.

"I don’t know Koti," He says softly, the nickname only Jak was allowed to call her adding a click onto the end of his melting voice, "I like them all…" Dakota smiled, watching as Jaks eyes darted over the many dresses, and then soon spotted Carmen lingering over a dress. Dakota shoved all the clothes back onto the rack and pointed at Carmen to Jak, and crept up on her.

"Buy it!" Dakota whispered into Carmen's left ear, smiling as she played the devil on her shoulder.

Jak quickly peered over Carmen's right shoulder, and murmured in an angelic voice, "No Carm! Look at the price tag!"

"But it's so luuurvley!" Dakota said softly, wrapping her arms round Carmen's waist and swinging her from side to side, "Buy it! Buy it!" Dakota watched as Carmen's eyes flickered down the dress, yet sighed as she placed it back on the hanger and Dakota pouted. It was perfect, a kind of teal blue, fitted around the torso and a flared skirt, with different shades of blue roses scattered across it's fabric.

"Nope," Carmen said softly, but in a decisive voice Dakota couldn't disagree with, "Too much money,"

Carmen, a little dejected from her too expensive dress disaster, trudged across the street to Nefertiti, where Dakota immediately ran to the dresses.

Dakota slid around the corner as she spotted a flash of bright silver fabric that the light glinted off. She snatched the dress from the hanger and spun round with it against her, "Perfect!" The dress was comprised of a tight, soft silver corset, laced at the back, with a sweetheart neckline, that puffed out at the waist in a sort of puffball tutu style skirt, layered until it reached about mid thigh. Dakota already had a pair of silver heeled shoes in her wardrobe, a beautiful pair that cost her a bomb, so she was determined to get a lot of wear out of them.

"Wow," Carmen said as she had followed Dakota, "You need to get that!" Dakota nodded excitedly and quickly found her size and the changing room, deciding when it was barely on that this was the perfect dress. She looked at the price tag, seeing it wasn't cheap, and Dakota decided to leave it, check with her mother, and maybe get it tomorrow or the day after. She reluctantly placed the dress back on the hanger and linked arms with her best friends as they wandered around the shop.

"You realise," Jak said in his smug voice, as they left the shop fifteen or so minutes later, "That you two have found perfect dresses from the shop you didn't want to go into?"