Status: Updates: As fast as I can.

You Are All That I Have

Chapter 12: He made it very clear what he wanted

It had been so long since we had been alone. Normally he was too busy with hockey practice and I was too busy with work in order for us to hang out a lot.

I sat on the rock leaning back on my hands and feeling the slight breeze hit my face.
"It's so peaceful here" I sighed.

"I know. So we could really be alone. Audrey. I have something to talk to you about." he said sitting closer to me.

"What is it?"

"Well.. they've selected me to be in the NHL draft. I mean, if the Canadiens pick me, we have no problem. It's just if I get picked to go somewhere else." His voice trailed off.

I knew what he was thinking, but I tried not to let it bother me. "Well, you know. It won't be too bad. I'll be in college, so it'll be easy for me to fly out and spend a weekend with you, or something. We can still stay together." I smiled trying to stay positive.

"It's not that easy Audrey. I mean. I don't know if I could do it, or if it would even work out. What if I get drafted to Phoenix? That's really far away. I mean.. it would just be easier for us to separate.."

I didn't want to hear this, so I put up my defenses and lashed out. "Then what's the point of staying together now anyways. We should just break up now."

"Audrey. It would be fine if I got to stay here. No one knows exactly where they're going to be drafted to until they talk to the managers of the teams. That's not for another two weeks."

"Kris. Do you love me?" I said looking at him.

He was taken back by this. "Well. I-I.. What I mean is... um. You know we've been together for a while and of course I... uh. Well I-"

I shook my head. "Nevermind. I already know the answer. Alright. We have a deal."
Maybe that's why I didn't fight him or beg him to stay with me on the phone when he told me his news. He never loved me. So why not try for someone who does instead of wasting your time...

I opened my eyes and looked around. I had no idea where I was. Then I noticed the man in bed with me. I screamed.

"Hey hey! What's going on?" the man said.

I shook my head. Wait, it was Max the guy from the hospital. Kristopher's teammate.
"Oh, sorry Max. I forgot where I was for a second."

He smiled "It's okay, I didn't need hearing in that ear anyways. Do you remember things yet?"

I shook my head. "Sorry, I just remember what happened yesterday. Everything else before that over the past few days is a blur."

"Hm.." Max said thinking. "Oh well, it should probably return over the next few days. How are the ribs?"

I inhaled. Just a slight twinge of pain. "Better than yesterday."

"Good, good. Marc and Sid spent the night. They're downstairs in the living room. Are you hungry?"

I felt my stomach growl. "Yes." I laughed softly.

When we reached the downstairs I saw that Marc-Andre was already awake, laying on the couch, reading Max's sport's magazine.

"Ah, good morning Audrey. How are you feeling?" he asked cheerfully.

"My ribs are better, memory's not back though." I shrugged.

"Well I think we should call up Kris and get things straightened out. Maybe that will help jog a memory." Marc suggested.

"No! Kris does not want to see me. He made that very clear when he left to be in the NHL. I can't face him. I just can't." I said starting to get emotional.

"But Audrey, you've talked to him and faced him before. You just don't remember." Max pointed out.

"Well that was before. I can't right now. I can't." I said shaking my head.

Just then Marc's phone vibrated causing Sid to wake up from his slumber.

"Hey" he said sleepily. "Good morning."

Marc answered his phone. "Oh hey Kris. What's up?"

Silence. Marc's eyes got wide. "Sure..." he said reluctantly into the phone. "When?"
Silence. "Two weeks?" he shook his head. "Sure.. okay... Look i have to go bye." and with that he hung up.

We all looked at Marc-Andre as he continued to stare at his phone as if it had grown a head and started talking to him.

"So?" Sid broke the silence. "What'd Kris want?"

"Well, he asked me to be his best man." he said.

"Well that's great!" I said

"Um... not quite." Marc shook his head. "He and Amy are getting married in two weeks."

"Oh fuck." Max said bringing out a plate of pancakes from the kitchen. "What are we going to do?"

"We have to straighten things out today." Marc replied. "I'm sorry Audrey, but we have too."

"I can't. I can't do it. I can't face him. Maybe he's happy with Amy. I mean, he loves her enough to marry her. I never even got an 'I love you'. So... maybe we'll just leave him how he is?" I said shrugging.

"Audrey please. You met Amy. She's awful. You may not remember it, but Kris was so happy to see you." Max pleaded.

"He made it clear he did not want me when he left. Not even a slim chance. So let him be happy with her." I said throwing my hands in the air.

"Audrey, if you didn't have amnesia, you would disagree with yourself and want to see Kris. I'm calling him up before he fucks up his life with this bitch."Marc said grabbing his phone.