‹ Prequel: Move

Run

Captured

Image
I struggled to open my eyes. My lids were heavy and I couldn't see. I looked up and everything was blurry. I tried to rub my eyes to see better. My hands wouldn't move. My senses began working again and I could see. I looked at my hands.

My hands were in cuffs behind my back. The metal was cold. I looked around and saw I was in a dark room all by myself. The chair I was sitting in was made of metal and was colder than the cuffs.

A light flicked on and I blinked to make my eyes adjust. I watched as a figure with the same black suit entered the room through a door on my right. I stared at the person and opened my mouth to speak. My mouth closed as I realized I didn't want to endanger my life anymore.

The figure reached up to his face and pulled off the goggles and mask. I stared at the person behind the mask. My mouth opened again.

"Hello, Alyssa." She said.

"Ann?" She nodded and I struggled to get out of the chair. "You taizered me?"

"Life has it's ways." Ann said. I realized that the quote came from Edward, Riley's brother.

"Why are you doing this? Don't you know about Peter?" I said in shock and confusion.

Ann walked over to me and crouched down to look me in the face. "Look, Alyssa. I don't want to hurt you. You have no idea what they would do to hurt you."

I creased my eyebrows. "Who's they?"

"The company I work for of course. I didn't know about Peter until he dumped me." She said answering my question. "He wasn't the bad guy, Alyssa. I know what you did to him too."

I thought about yesterday. "He said he still loved you."

She nodded. Her face was frightfully close to mine. "I know. It was a shame he had to be imprisoned, again."

I realized what she meant. "You captured him again?"

Ann nodded again. Her long hair flowing down her back. "You made it easy. You and your friends."

My friends. "Where did you put them? Where is Riley!?" I screamed into her face.

"Don't worry." She said softly. "They are nice and secure so they can't hurt anyone. Just like you."

"You think we are the ones that are dangerous?" I said. "There are others out there that are using their powers to kill."

Ann sighed. "Alyssa, you killed over fifty men and women this afternoon. You almost released a deadly virus into the air too."

I clenched my jaw. "I want it because it was in the wrong hands."

She laughed. "What were you planning to do with it?"

My jaw tightened even more. "You know that we are the only one's that can destroy it. You and your people, thirty years ago, created the virus for some odd lab experiment."

"And if we didn't put it in a safe, it would have been released!" She shouted in my face. Ann stood up and walked to the wall opposite of me.

"How did you get into this, Ann?" I asked. "More importantly, why have you been my friend if you knew I was like this?"

Ann gave a pity laugh. "I got into this because I found out just a week ago my father ran this company. My father had a heart attack and that's why I haven't talked to you. They told me that I was next in line to run the company. I didn't believe them that there were people out there like you, until now. They gave me a list of people that had abilities. When I saw yours and Riley's name, I immediately went into action. By the time we got to your house, you were gone. You left some breakfast for us though."

"So within a week, you believe that all people with abilities are villains." I stated.

"No," she said, "I think all of you are dangerous and are endangering the human population."

"Huh," I said, "we thought the same about you."

Ann came back over to me and stood over me. Her voice became a whisper. "Look, okay? I do not want to hurt you. I would have let you go by now but, I don't have complete control."

I was confused. Wasn't she just trying to kill me a second ago? Maybe she was trapped too.

"What are you talking about?" I whispered.

Ann's face became sad. "I don't want to be here. I hated my father and I don't want to take his place." She whispered. "I am still your friend. I am not afraid of you but, of them. They are watching us closely. Your chains are loose and I need you to escape as soon as leave, okay?"

I nodded. This was odd. "What about the others?" I whispered back.

"I already explained everything to them. They have Tobey and Meredith under examination. I already told Riley to try to get in their minds and tell them how to escape. It'll be easy when all of you escape at once. Just, be careful."

"Wait," I said, "are you staying here?"

Ann gave a scared laugh. "It's either stay or die." She said. I frowned. "Don't worry, I'll be fine."

"Alright." I said.

Ann nodded and left the room. Her baggy suit made her walk differently. She shut the light off and shut the door.

I thought about everything that happened. I still had many questions for Ann. Where was the vile? Where was Hunter? Hunter. I remembered he got shot. Did he survive?

A voice began forming in my head. Riley's voice.

'Alyssa, we have to go now.' The sweet voice made me forget about everything. 'Alyssa, we have to escape now. The others are already ready.'

'Riley?' I said in my mind. 'Is Hunter alright?'

Riley's thoughts hesitated. 'I don't know, Alyssa. We have to go now though.'

'Let's go.' I thought.

I started tugging at the cold chains that had me strapped to the floor and chair. They were loose. I gained my powers back and thrust my arm out and snapped the chain. The chain went flying and I pulled off the other one. I ripped the cuffs off that were still on my wrists. I sat up off the chair and rushed to the door. It was sealed shut.

My fist lifted towards the door and slammed through. I pushed my hand through the hole and opened the door from the outside. I hurried out of the room as the alarm started again.

Riley's voice came into my head again. 'I'm two rooms down from yours.'

My feet pushed me two doors down. I kicked my foot against the handle of the door and the door swung open. Riley sat on a bed in a blank room. He hopped up and followed me out of the door. We looked every which way for the other escapees.

"Do we go now?" I asked Riley.

He nodded and picked me up in his arms. Riley crouched down and jumped into the air. We crashed against the ceiling and flew out of the roof into the air. My arms went over my head. I lifted my head and looked at Riley.

"Are the other's going to make it?" I asked.

"They'll be fine. Right now I'm worried about you." Riley said protectively. I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"How will they be fine?" I asked.

Riley sighed. "Eve escaped without setting the alarm and right now she is gathering the others and she will teleport them out of there."

I gave a sigh of relief. "Okay. So, did you talk to Ann too?" I looked down at the large buildings that we flew over.

"I did. I don't want to talk about it right now." He said. I nodded.

"I'm sorry." I said.

Riley gave a little laugh. "For what?"

"For losing the vile." I said.

Riley laughed again. "Reach into my pocket. Left pocket." I leaned over and reached into his pocket. I grasped something that was small and cylinder. I pulled out the small clear tube.

I smiled and looked at Riley. "Thank you."

"You said you'd always take a bullet for me. You took about a hundred. I think stealing the vile was the least I could do." Riley said.

I clutched onto the vile and put it in my pocket. I looked at Riley and he gave a small grin.

"I love you." I said.

"You can't love me as much as I love you." He said. I hugged his neck and closed my eyes as we floated over Texas. What a strange few days.