‹ Prequel: Move

Run

Fine and Dandy

Image
Riley and I walked out of the New York City airport holding hands. The others were all behind us, including Peter. Peter was talking quietly to Brittany. I thought they'd make a perfect couple. Tobey and Sam were conversing about something. Eve was just watching her surroundings.

We walked through the parking lot and I stopped everyone when we got to the end. I spun Riley around without letting his hand go. He had a suitcase slung over his shoulder. I had no idea where he got it.

I looked at all of them. "Do you know where you all are staying?"

Sam and Eve nodded. Peter shrugged along with Brittany. Tobey just looked at me.

"I'll find a way." Tobey said.

I nodded. "Well," I said pulling out cards for GWOODCORP which had my address and phone number on them. "if you ever need my help, contact us here." I gave one to each of them.

Sam looked down at his card. "Aren't you afraid of the company getting a hold of this?"

I stared at him as if he were stupid. "I am not that dumb, Samuel. I only kept these ones. Besides, I don't see why it matters. They already know where we live." Riley looked at me with a smile.

"We still have to get rid of that camera." Riley said.

I nodded. "I'll do it."

Peter looked at me in the eyes. "You have a secret, don't you?" I haven't quite told them about getting married.

Riley looked down at me. "You didn't tell them?" I shrugged as I bit my lower lip. Riley looked at them. "We're getting married."

They all gave hoots of applause. Sam smiled. "I knew you would. Just keep in mind you are still on the run."

I nodded. "I know. That's why it is going to be small." Riley smiled and looked at me. I gave a grin.

"Well," Peter said, "congrats and I'll be on my way. Talk to you soon then."

I nodded as I shook his hand. "Hopefully not that soon." Peter smiled and let go of my hand.

Everyone came towards me with their arms open. I wrapped each of their tight bodies in a hug. Eve and Brittany commented on my engagement. I told them that it would be interesting.

Tobey and Sam wrapped me in a bear hug at the same time. When Tobey let go, Sam replaced his spot and gave me another bear hug. He was like a big brother, although he was pretty much the same age.

I looked at each of them as Riley finished giving them hand shakes and hugs. "Good luck to all of you," I said, "i hope I'll see you soon."

They all nodded and Riley and I moved away from the parking lot. I took his hand and looked at the forest that we were coming up to. Riley and I looked at each other.

"Go ahead," Riley said, "run. Let us run fast."

"I wanted to fly though." I said.

"Alyssa, I read your mind. You want to run. Yesterday and the day before we flew. We can run today." Riley's sweet voice told me.

I shrugged. "You always win."

My feet pushed me fast through the woods. It was great to run. We sped through the trees and scattered leaves. Riley gripped onto my hand and ran by my side. We started moving through a clear are and noticed we were already by my house. Running was quicker.

I stopped in front of our house and looked at Riley's beautiful hair and eyes. We both smiled and moved towards our house.

I opened the front door and looked at Riley.

"Go ahead." He said reading my mind again.

I smiled again and sped through the house. I didn't stop until I was below the little camera hidden in the corner. My hand shot up towards it and sent a bolt flying at the camera. The camera fell into little pieces from the force.

Riley heard the smash and came into the house. Riley swung the door shut. The door didn't shut and we both looked at it. It swung back open. A large brown boot stood in the doorway. I watched it as it moved into my house. Another boot followed it and the person came in.

"Hunter!" I exclaimed as I flung myself at my brother. Hunter smiled and wrapped me in a hug. His muscles were tight. I let him go and looked at his face.

His forehead was covered in blood and a large gash ran down the side of his face. He must have escaped all by himself because none of us were injured.

"Hi." Hunter said looking at me and then Riley.

Riley walked over to us and dropped his suit case. He gave Hunter a brotherly hug.

"Good to have you back." Riley said.

We stood looking at each other. Hunter frowned. "Did you get the vile? Is it gone?"

I frowned too. "We got it but, we don't know if we destroyed it properly."

Riley looked at me. "If we destroyed it? Where is this 'we' coming from?"

I shrugged. "You supervised me."

Hunter smiled. "Well, I just wanted to see if you all were okay."

"How'd you get here?" I asked.

"A cab. I got to New York before you. I just didn't run as fast." He said.

I raised an eyebrow. "You ran?"

He shrugged. "I ran up the driveway."

I turned around to the large television and flicked it on to the news channel. Riley followed me and stood by my side as we watched the large screen. The today show was on and Al Roker was doing the weather.

Matt Lauer came up and his face was serious. "We have some serious news this morning." Matt said. "Several hundreds of people in Texas have died due to some sort of airborne disease."

I looked at Riley and my mouth opened. "I did not do it."

"It doesn't matter if you did it. It matters how to stop it." Riley said.

"It's airborne, Riley! It can't be stopped!" I exclaimed.

Hunter came next to us. "You guys. Relax! You said that it was only dangerous to humans. That means it can't kill us."

"Oh yeah and just because it will kill humans, everything is fine and dandy." I said.

Riley stared back at the television. I looked at it too. A picture flicked up on the screen and showed bodies laying on the streets.

I looked away from it and looked at Riley. "If every single human dies, someone is going to find out about us. Someone that doesn't know about it now. Someone that will kill us with weapons we cannot fight against."

Riley clenched his jaw. "There's only one thing to do. Run."

I nodded. "We can run. We just can't hide."

Riley stared at me. "We can run fast enough to be able to hide."

I looked down at the ground. At least it wasn't a dangerous vile anymore. Now, it was a dangerous disease.