‹ Prequel: Move

Run

Stay

Image
Riley, Hunter, and I stood there just watching the television as it went through horrifying pictures of bodies laying on the grounds of Texas. They wouldn't show close ups but, Riley and I could see more out of the pictures than anyone else.

Blood was pouring out of the body's mouths. The disease must have gotten to their lungs and suffocated them. They looked pale and cold.

We looked away from the television and looked at each other.

"What now?" Riley asked me.

I sighed and glanced at the television. "I guess the wedding is being put on hold so we can save the world again. First Edward, now this."

"Alyssa," Riley said, "this is more important though. If Edward would have survived, the most damage he would have done was turn all of us bad and enslave the humans. We don't have a choice on this one. We have to stop it before it erases the human population and any one of us that can't go against it. We know one thing, we will survive."

"Jesus Riley," I said, "you sound like Aretha Franklin." I rubbed my forehead.

Riley frowned. "You know that's not what I meant."

"I know." I said.

"So, what now?" Hunter asked.

I didn't get a chance to answer Hunter's question. A pounding started at the door. We all stared at it in fear. I used my senses to tell me who it was.

I sighed and went to the door. I turned the handle. Sam, Eve, Brittany, Peter, and Tobey came pouring in.

"I take it you heard." I said to them.

Sam sighed. "We were in a cab and we heard it on the radio. We made the driver come here."

"Okay," I said, "don't expect me to know what to do."

We all gave a long sigh. "What do we do though?" Brittany asked.

I shrugged. "I never get a break, do I?"

"Don't you have some power that could eliminate the disease?" Eve asked.

I shrugged again. "How on Earth would I know? I don't know half of the abilities I have. Besides, if I did have something like that, it might just cause another disease."

"So," Peter said, "either way we're screwed."

"You could say that." Riley said.

I looked at each of them. "We'll have to hire scientists and we'll have to do a number of experiments."

Riley sighed. "How do you suppose we get a human scientist to help us?"

Sam came forward. "We don't have to." We all looked at him. "When I jacked the computer in the first computer, I got a name of a scientist that had superhuman intelligence."

"Meaning?" I said.

"Meaning," Sam said, "that he has the knowledge far greater than a genius."

Peter looked at him. "Is that even possible?"

I sighed. "Anything seems possible now. I wouldn't be surprised."

"So, is that it then? Where will we do the experiments?" Eve asked.

Riley smirked. "Have you seen our basement?"

Eve slumped her shoulders. "I don't think any of us have even been in your house before."

I rubbed my chin. "That's true." The last visitor I had was the company people that tried to kill us. It wasn't that long ago but, they were the first in about a month. My friends hadn't even come over.

"So, we experiment in your basement with a guy that we don't even know?" Brittany said.

"We didn't all know each other." Tobey said. "Until now."

I smiled and looked at each of them. "We'll get started soon. I'll contact you tomorrow. I'll call Sam first so he can find the man."

They all nodded. Hunter walked out from behind me. Everyone smiled and patted him as they walked to the door.

"I knew you'd make it." Peter said. Hunter smiled.

They all left and shut the door. Hunter was still in the room with us. I turned to him.

He threw his hands up defensively. "Don't worry. I'll leave." He turned to the door and left.

I sighed and plopped myself down on the couch. I stared at the TV. Riley came over to me and plopped down beside me. I leaned my head on him. He kissed my hair and it tickled.

We both stared at the television. I watched the pictures continue to flash by.

"It'll be okay." Riley told me.

I huffed. "How do you know that?"

"I don't."

"Then why did you say it?" I asked.

Riley's mouth went to my ear. "Because life has it's ways." I frowned.

I would never like that saying.But, I would always believe it.
♠ ♠ ♠
I won't be able to work on the third book until I get my laptop...Catch up on the story though!