‹ Prequel: Move

Run

Rescue Mission

Image
The hallway was dark and wide, just like the one on the first floor but with one exception. There were large glass windows along the walls. They looked to be bullet proof and anything else proof. The shocking thing about them is that the windows led to rooms. I looked through the closest window. There was a man sitting on a small bed. The room he was in was barely lit and was bare. Only a small toilet and the bed. I assumed that in every little room, there was a person like us. We had to find Peter first before we could do anything.

Riley came up behind me and grasped my shoulder. "We can only let out the heroes. Not the villains." He said reading my mind. I nodded.

"I know." I said quietly. Riley let my shoulder go and we walked down the hall. I looked through the window we passed. There was another man sitting on the same kind of table. Next to each window, there was a note saying who the person was and what his or her power was. Most of them were men though.

I looked into the next window and saw the name. The man sitting on the table looked at me. His dark brown eyes looked up into mine. They were deep and sad. I looked up at the name again. Hunter Gray. I put my hand over my mouth. Tears tried to flow out of my eyes. I didn't let them. Riley and Sam came up behind me.

"Do you know him?" Sam asked cautiously. I nodded and dropped my hand.

"He's my brother." I said. Riley came up to my side.

"You never mentioned a brother. Or any family members for that fact." He said angerly.

I turned around to look at him. "Either did you. I thought my entire family was dead. Apparently he isn't." The young looking man stood up from the table and went to the window. His sleek, almost black, hair was so memorable. It had been almost seven years since I had last seen him. I thought he was long gone.

Riley went over to the note next to Hunter's window and pulled it off. He looked at it under the dim light. His head sprung up. "Alyssa," He said. "he's a villain."

I shook my head. "He has powers?"

"Why else would he be in here?" Sam said.

Riley put his head back to the paper. "He can manipulate weather." He sighed.

"Why is that so bad? He can control it." I said. "Let's get him out!" I yelled at him. I thought of how old Hunter was. He was four years younger than me. Hunter would be nineteen. He should be able to control his powers.

Sam nodded. "He should be able to control it. By the looks of him, he seems pretty stable." All of the sudden we heard a pounding at the door on the end of the hallway.

"They got us." Riley said.

I turned towards Hunter's glass cage. "The hell they do." I balled up my fist and slammed it into the glass. The glass shattered and Hunter tumbled to the floor. All of the glass fell to the floor. I looked at my hand. Glass was stuck in my knuckles. I made my body force the shards out. They dropped onto the ground and my hand healed.

"We'll get the others." Sam said. Riley and Sam rushed down the hallway reading each note. I looked down into the room and watched my brother stand up. He stood up and brushed himself off. I walked back as he climbed out of the room and stood before me. He stood in front of me. Hunter stood a couple inches taller than me. He had to be Riley's height.

"You're so tall." I said. He smiled and I wrapped him in a hug. His strength surprised me. I just hugged even tighter.

Hunter let me go and stared into my eyes. "I've been waiting for you. I knew you'd eventually find me. You are the alpha." His voice was more mature and it was as sweet as Sam and Riley's.

We both looked down the hall and watched Riley and Sam smash several glass windows. People came out of the rooms and stood looking at me. They walked slowly towards me. Sam got to the last room and smashed the window with his fist. He must have turned his animal side on.

The people walked towards me and stood a few feet away. Hunter carefully went behind me. A man with completely white hair moved through the people and stood before me.

"Your commands, Alyssa?" He asked.

I thought about what I was doing here. All of the surprises made me realize that this was serious. "Well," I said. "you can help us get out of here. Or, you can go on your own. It's your choice. Not mine. Just keep in mind that we just saved you to help the world and to do the right thing."

Another man with short blond hair spoke up. "What is the right thing, Alyssa?" He said calmly.

I moved my eyes to look at each of them. I felt my brother's warmth at my back. Sam and Riley began moving through the people. They came over to me and stood next to Hunter.

"The right thing is to capture the people they want." I said nodding towards the door that was still being pounded on.

"Will someone take care of that?" Riley said. A woman with pure white hair turned towards the door. She was young and she looked strong. She stuck her palms on the door. The woman closed her eyes and pushed against the door. Smoke filled the room. I tried to peer through it to see what she had done.

The door was smashed against the wall on the other side. There were men laying on the ground. I assumed she had some sort of nuclear power that came out of her hands. Whatever it was, it was powerful.

"Alright," I said, "now, let's get out of here. You can be free if you want. Then again, free is trying to stay alive. You can choose that or you can capture the villains or just do whatever you want to. Hopefully that isn't being a villain because you'll just end up here anyway."

The white haired man shrugged. "What are you going to do, Alyssa?"

I sighed and rubbed my forehead. "I am going to get up to date with everything," I said looking back at Hunter, "and I am going to do whatever I have to do to stay alive."

"So, you aren't going to help them?" Another man with buzzed brown hair said.

"I am going to do whatever I have to do." I said again. "That doesn't mean I am going to help them. I am actually going to try to avoid them. But, right now, I have to find a cure for our powers and once I do that I'll use it on anyone who doesn't want their powers and everyone who isn't using them properly."

The white haired woman stepped forward. "So, you are going to take this all in your hands?" She said angerly.

I sighed. "These people are going to be after us no matter what path we choose. That's just how it is. We won't be free, ever. Unless the human race can stand to live with people like us. The chances of that are very slim."

Riley stepped forward. "If you can't stand that thought, leave now and fend for yourself. Just keep in mind what she just told you." Half of the people walked, ran, and flew out of the hall. I sighed. Three people were left. The white haired man, the white haired woman, and another woman who had her hair to her shoulders. It bounced as she moved towards me.

"I think you have a very good perspective. I am willing to die to save the human race." She said. The other two nodded. Sam, Riley, and Hunter came out from behind me and stood by my sides.

I frowned and looked at each of them. "The problem is, we don't know exactly if we are saving or killing the human race."

I turned to Riley. He automatically read my mind. "Where's Peter?" He asked turning to Sam.

I looked around in the rooms that didn't have shattered glass. My feet pushed me down the hall searching for a note that said Peter. I went past two windows, in each of the rooms there was an evil looking person. I went to another one and found a man walking back and forth in it. I looked at the note.

They man stopped walking and turned to me. The bronze hair made me almost faint. I looked at the last name on the note. Latner. Peter Latner. The familiar face smiled as he recognized me. It was Ann's boyfriend, Peter. Was everyone I knew just like me? I was surprised to not find my friends inside one of the cages. I heard Peter chuckle. How fun would this be.