Why Did I Even Bother?!

The Story

The sun shone through the window, catching the light of the crystallized wind chime that hung from my window. A warm breeze played with my auburn hair as I brushed it. My emerald eyes had simple eyeliner around them while I pulled on a pink t-shirt and some black jeans. My sneakers were brand new and I heard my friends outside in the car. "Come on Sam, we're going to be late" called my friend Haley. I smiled and ran downstairs. "Mom, Dad, I'm going to the mall with Rachael, Haley, and Darielle" I said, kissing my mom and dad on the cheek. "Alright dear, just be safe" said my mom. My dad just sternly looked at me. "Avoid those no good boys down the street" said my dad. "They're going nowhere with their lives" he continued. I smiled and nodded before heading outside.

"Hey Sam, my cousin wants to know if you would like to hang" said Rachael, referring to her cousin Mick. He was part of the no good boys down the street my dad didn’t like. They were nice to me, all nine of them, but my dad couldn't see past their troubled homes. It was unfair of him, if I had to say so. "Sure, why not. Let him know where we will be" I said, smiling. Dar and Haley laughed as we drove to the mall. We got there and I smiled when I saw the nine guys standing there waiting for us. The smallest of the group looked upset and I frowned. "Joey, come over here for a moment please" I said. He came over to me with his head hung. "Home issues again?" I asked him. We had the same art class in school and sat next to each other. Over time we became really good friends, even if my dad didn't know about it. "Yeah…" he said. I gave him a hug before Mick and James picked me up.

"Put me down you behemoths!" I said, laughing. Corey and Paul just shook their heads at me. "You shouldn't say that" said Craig before they dropped me. Glaring at them, I saw someone hold their hand out to pick me up. Looking up, I saw Sid standing there with a goofy smile. My dad definitely didn't like him. He was just, as my dad said, "a no good dope head with no future and a shitty home". I placed my hand in his and he helped me up. "Sorry about that" said James. I laughed and the girls and I headed to get what we came for. Looking in my hand, I saw a number on a piece of paper. I turned around to see Sid trying to look away. Smiling, the girls and I walked farther away.

Since then, we had been meeting in secret and my parents didn't know. Slowly my style started to change, but not enough for my parents to really notice…at first. When I started to wear metal band t-shirts, my father blew a gasket and demanded I changed. I ended up doing so and then my dad was pleased. Every night Sid snuck over my house and hung out in my room, especially on nights when home got to be unbearable. "Why don't you tell your parents about us?" he asked me. "Because they…wouldn't understand. To them, you're just a lowlife with no future…and not good enough for their 'perfect' daughter" I explained. Sid looked away from me and I could tell what I said hurt him. "I'm going to go" he whispered before climbing out my window.

I didn't see him again for weeks after that. When I finally saw him, he didn't look at me. Another week passed and he approached me, looking cleaner and healthier. In his hands were roses. "Hey!" I said, smiling as I took the roses in hand. Sid smiled at me and we spent the day together. From walking to the park, to walking in the woods, everything was peaceful. "You seem…healthier" I said to him. "It's because I quite doing dope" he said to me. "That's wonderful!" I exclaimed, beaming at him. Sid laughed at me and soon we made it to my house. "I had a great time" I said to him. Just then, my mother and father were standing before us. "Sam get inside" said my mother. I could see she was afraid of the outburst we both knew was coming. Giving Sid one last look, I went inside.

"Stay away from my daughter" spat my father before he went inside. I sat in my room, not moving. My dad didn't come into my room, meaning he wasn't mad at me. 'No, he wouldn't be. I'm his perfect child' I thought bitterly. After this, months went by as Sid kept trying to see me, kept trying to warm my parents up to him. Nothing was working and I could tell. Day after day, there were rose petals smashed onto the ground, notes ripped up, and I'd always hear him run away. I sat in my room, ashamed of how I was feeling. Knowing you love someone is easy, but when you are from two totally different worlds, its hard. All his clothes that he left here were missing and I knew then that my mother brought them over to his house.

Sitting against my door, I sighed and held my head. A piece of paper was thrown up into my room and I quickly scooped it up. 'Meet me at the train station' read the paper. I knew it was from Sid and then I was thrown into a whole ordeal. It was whether to go or not to go, and whether I could sneak out. Hours passed by, and I still sat on the floor. A downpour had started while I thought and it made the mood worsen. Just then footsteps ran up to my room and I jumped back when the door was kicked open. "You whore!" yelled Sid, falling to his knees. I starred in him in shock. "I waited for you, I missed the last train, I had to walk home in the rain" he explained. "Why?" I asked him. "Because I wanted to see if you felt the same, but apparently you don't! And you won't go against your asshole father! I quit dope, I went broke, I did everything for you and your parents, but now, why did I bother!" he said to me.

"It's not my fault you're ashamed to be seen with me, you're ashamed of how you feel!" he said. I looked at him and hugged him. "How can you not hate me? I broke down your door, and called you a whore" he said. I sighed and my father walked into the room. Fury raged behind his eyes and he dragged Sid out of my room. I was helpless and didn't stop him. Moments later, they broke out into an argument. Sid tried standing up to my father, but my father just wouldn't have it. They continued to argue and I stood helpless on the stairs.

Once the yelling stopped, I ran up to my room and slammed my door shut. Looking out the window, I saw him rush out, not taking a glance back at my window. My crystallized tears rolled down my cheeks and I couldn't stop my sobs. Burying my head in my pillow, I let my sorrow over take me. 'Why did things have to end up this way?' I thought as I sobbed. 'Things had been going so well'. All good things must end…and this was the end of Sid and I.