Do It By Hand

Take Me Back

I sat and hummed along with a song in my head, not one that I should be rehearsing, but it was there. The weather was nice again, and the sun felt good, and I needed a tan. I didn't realize that I was humming so loud until I heard a familiar voice from behind.

"So, is this what you do in your spare time?" Cody said shadowing me in the sun

"It depends." I said squinting to see him. He moved to where he was sitting next to me on the steps.

"I suppose that's because you're avoiding me." he mumbled.

"Cody, how can I avoid you? I don't normally see you when I'm at school." I laughed.

"You do normally call, or at least answer mine." he said, a smile not appearing on his face. What was bad, was that I had promised myself that I wasn't going to develop anything for him past a platonic feeling. But then once again, as he stared at me, I realized why I took this time of traveling to different schools to do so.

"I've just been a little busy." I said looking away before I got sucked in.

"Right, which is why you're sitting out here tanning?" he said rolling his eyes, but smiling at the same time. " Not that you even need a tan." he moving a piece of hair that the wind had determined to blow in my face continuously.

"Sometimes I can't find my phone." I shrugged.

"What are you doing tonight?" he sighed, I could tell he was getting frustrated.

"Going to a show, then to the movies."

"Is this show loud?" Cody only listened to the radio played country.

"No, it's jazz." I smiled.

"Ok, can I come?"

"If you want, but Gordan's coming."

"It's fine." he smiled, standing up and lending me his hand out to me. I grabbed it, but I didn't feel that jolt that normally is supposed to be there when you're attracted to someone. I was perfectly content with being single, especially now. No need to attach myself to someone now, since I'll be going almost 5 states away. Cody didn't let go of my hand after I had stood up.

"What?" I said looking up, realizing I shouldn't have.

"Nothing." He smiled, still holding my hand. We walked to his car that way, that I somehow missed about him. The way his hand felt in mine, but it's not the same I suppose.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"What's he doing?" Cody asked as the singer of the band that was up began to scat.

"Scat you tard." Gordan spat out, he didn't like that Cody came.

"I hate you." was all Cody replied with as the singer finished up the song. Gordan stuck his tongue out.

"You boys are ridiculous." I sighed, looking where I felt a pair of eyes on my back. I quickly turned back around.

"You saw him too?" Gordan said grinning.

"Saw who?" Cody said confused.

"No one." I stated.

"This creepy guy we saw the other day at Coldstone who kept staring at Lola." Gordan said glancing in the guys direction.

"Oh." Cody said trying to turn around and see as well, but I popped him on the hand so he wouldn't.

"He's walking over here." Gordan said loudly.

"Shut up." I stated through gritted teeth. The band began to start up something a little louder. I could tell Cody was only enduring this for me.

"Wanna' go outside?" I asked leaning in towards him, still feeling the eyes on me.

"Please." Cody grinned, and grabbed my hand. Almost dragging me outside,

"I'm sorry you're not enjoying this." I sighed leaning against the wall.

"Maybe if it wasn't so loud." he smiled.

"I like it loud sometimes."

"Why?"

"Sometimes because it's so loud, you can only focus on the music. And the other crap going through your mind." he tilted his head as he looked like he was thinking about what I had said.

"Excuse me." a voice said from the side of me. I forced myself to come to terms with the stranger who stared at me in a creepy way. I turned and was stopped short,

"Hi." I stammered out like a ninny.

"Hey, what's your name?" he chuckled.

"Lola."

"Lola what?"

"Kinard."

"Is there a number with that last name?" he chuckled.

"If I can remember it." I smiled goofily.

"Try." he murmured in a lower voice. A kind of voice that made you do things, as well as your body.

"498-2333." I rushed out.

"I'll be calling you Lola Kinard." he grinned as his friend stepped out of the club tipping his hat to me.

"You just gave a creepy guy your phone number. You know that right?" Cody said appearing next to me, I had forgotten he was there.

"That, wasn't a creepy guy. I feel so stupid for not recognizing him before." I said gathering the rest of wits that he had let float away momentarily.

"What?"

I didn't even bother to try and explain it to him, I grabbed his hand and pulled him with me, rushing to tell Gordan. Who would also feel stupid for not recognizing him as well.
♠ ♠ ♠
kind of a starterslashfiller.