Do It By Hand

Zero To Love

After about 20 minutes of being asked questions about what I do, and what I like. I broke the pattern with Conor.

"So what do you like?" I asked as our food came. He had taken me to a place I decided not to let him know that I eat at quite frequently. Almost every week with Beil, it was our lunch or dinner time together. And they always played decent music in the background.

"I like pot, do you?" he smirked, and he picked up his fork.

"No, I like my voice."

"Plenty of singers smoke pot." he said as he began to swirl his pasta around.

"Put it this way, you don't eat meat right?" I said digging into my lasagna.

"Not really." he said around his food.

"Well, I don't like drugs. Or alcohol for that matter, cigarettes make me sick." I said sipping on my tea.

"What about sex?" he said drinking some lager that he found on the menu.

"I suppose that coincides with love." I shrugged, taking a bite out of my garlic bread.

"I like all the things you don't like." he laughed leaning back on the booth.

"Well, then I suppose we're not a good match." I smirked, his smile faded.

"You're pretty focused aren't you?"

"What do you mean by that?" I said around my food, as he returned to eating his pasta.

"Have you even ever had a shot? A long island ice tea?" he asked gesturing to my tea.

"No."

"Wow."

"I suppose you could call me sheltered. But I've just never found the interest in those things. My best friend did, but I never have."

"I like that." he smirked.

"Me too."
----------------------------------------------------------

Getting to know Conor was like getting to know a random person in one of my classes. Except there was an attraction there, and for once I didn't really fight it. I let his eyes stare when most of the time, I would make it clearly obvious I am unavailable. I had done a great job at keeping him to myself, because he wasn't here all that often. He liked to travel, and normally just made visits to see family. And now me, but he decided to surprise me one weekend.

"Is Lola here?" I overheard coming from the living room. My heart started beating faster, I was excited that he was here. But scared, because my father was the one answering the door.

"That depends, who are you?"

"I'm Conor Mr. Kinard, it's nice to finally meet you."

"Finally?" my dad asked bemused.

"You're daughter talks about you a lot." I heard his smile.

"A lot? Well that's nice, what does she say." my dad asked still bemused.

"Nice things I promise." he chuckled

"Mm hmm." he said, it sounded as though he was stepping back to let Conor in. I had taken that opportunity to put on a dress, and let my hair down.

"Lo! There's a little white boy out here for you!" My dad shouted from the living room. I walked out, almost wanting to shout back. But then that would show our true color, and I doubted that Conor was ready for that.

"Hey." I smiled, he did a slow smile. As he looked me over, making my lungs malfunction.

"Hey," he finally smiled, as he stood up. My dad had went back to his den, probably what he called 'nigga-rizing' some computers to make one.

"Sorry about that." I said glancing in my dads' path.

"It's fine." he let out a laugh.

"So why didn't you call me first?" I asked as I led him outside.

"I don't know." he said, seriously.

"My birthday's not for another 4 months." I joked,

"I wouldn't give you just a visit for your birthday." he said seriously.

"So, whens the next tour kick up?" I asked trying to lighten the mood.

"It's on now, can I kiss you?" he blurted. I was kind of stunned, it was random. It also hadn't happened before,

"Um, well."

"I mean if you're not ready it's fine."

"What do you mean not ready?" I said, placing a hand on my hip.

"I'm not good at this, and you make it harder to me suave." he let out nervously scratching the back of his neck.

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" he asked searching my eyes, his eyes were like milk chocolate. I found myself leaning in, or maybe we both were leaning in. It didn't matter, our lips met. It almost didn't feel like he had kissed me. I stared for maybe a second,

"Do you wanna' try that again?" I whispered and he grinned. He comfortably put his arms around my waist and leaned in this time. And the kiss was gentle, but still knee weakening. He knew that, because as I weakened he deepened the kiss. Then we heard a horn, which made us jump apart because it was so close. I then realized it was my mother, who was crazier than my father.

"Who is this?" my mother asked in her normal loud voice.

"This is Conor." Conor had long before stepped away and shoved his hands in his pockets. He gave a small wave.

"Hello Mrs. Kinard." he smiled.

"Mm hmm." my mother said going into the house.

"Sorry." I said once again looking down.

"It's fine, I've had worse." he laughed nervously.

"Lola, I need you to take Violet to the vet." My mother shouted from the house.

"OK."

"I can come." he smiled as a little black ball a fur ran out to where we were standing in my yard. He bended down to pick it up.

"She smells." i said wrinkling my nose.

"But she's pretty." he said letting her climb on him, and lick his face. I decided that I was going to give Conor a try. Regardless that he was older than me, and probably had no intention of settling down. And even if he did, I didn't.