You Know This Maze

Prelude

beach |bē ch |
noun
a pebbly or sandy shore, esp. by the ocean between high- and low-water marks.

It was the summer of 2008 and I was in one of the most romantic places on the world: the Caribbean. My boyfriend thought that it would be a good idea if we could spend our one year anniversary, of course I didn’t know anything about his idea so I was very surprised to be at the beach, I’m not an outdoor person so you could tell that I wasn’t at all excited at the surprise.

"Baby, let’s go to the beach, it’s been two days!" my boyfriend, Paul yelled at me.
"Paul, I’m not going. I’m having a lot of fun reading this Harry Potter book..." I said, changing the page.
"Lena, I’m dragging you, right now!" he said, grabbing my book and pushing me off the couch.

An hour later, I was sitting on a chair enjoying the sunny day. I had to admit that I needed a little tanning, for a Mexican lady, I was very pale. Paul was playing in the ocean and I was getting a little drowsy because of the heat, so I decided to buy a bottle of water so I didn’t dehydrate.

"Paul, I’m going to the store, do you want something?!" I yelled.
"No, I’m fine!" he yelled back.

I walked to the store and started to browse the aisles, making time so I didn’t have to return to the beach and keep boring myself out. Like always, I wasn’t watching were I was going and I bumped someone and fell.

"Sorry, are you okay?" I heard a voice ask.
"Yes, I wasn’t looking..." I said, smiling at myself.

I saw a hand and grabbed it, and in that moment, I gazed at the bluest eyes I had ever seen, I was scared that I was going to fall again but the floor didn’t move, the angels didn’t sing, I didn’t feel butterflies in my stomach, a shot of electricity didn’t hit my body, I just felt right. The world was starting to fall into the perfect place.

"Are you sure you’re okay? You look a little pale." The voice of the stranger hit my ears.
"Yes, it was just a little fall." I heard myself responding but I didn’t remember moving my mouth.
"Danny! Where are you?" I heard another female voice.

Suddenly, the daze disappeared and reality struck me. There was a young man standing in front of me, looking at me, ignoring the world around us like I did. The yelling didn’t stop, and neither one of us moved.

"Here you are!" - The voice said and arms appeared around the young man’s neck.
"I’m sorry, love. I didn’t hear you yelling..." The young man said looking at her.

I felt that I was invading the couple’s moment and walked to the refrigerators to grab my water bottle, as I was paying I felt someone watching me, I looked at the exit door and I saw the blue eyes looking at me one last time.