Rakastan Sinua (or, I Love You)

Chapter One

The darkness crept it, along with a freezing mist that seemed to move between the buildings of Helsinki like a great apocalyptic wave.

That’s why I liked sitting on the roof of the apartment complex the pack had bought for our brood. I didn’t like being indoors, perhaps it was the restless animal within, or perhaps the fact that for the first twenty-one years of my life, I was indoors when the sun was up, though it would do no harm to me.

I watched the fog drift lazily through the buildings, momentarily devouring street lamps or the lower sections of buildings before spreading itself too thin and disappearing, only to reform moments later. I sighed, letting my feet dangle and willing the white cloud to swallow me and take me away. Though that was a frivolous notion, I could no sooner will the sun from the sky.

“You’ll catch your death out here, Zane.” The deep timbre of a male voice sounded behind me, the warm silk lining of a leather coat falling onto my shoulders with a whisper.

I smiled and snuggled into the warmth. “Unless the cold has somehow been laced with silver, I believe I am safe.” I stated. “But you giving me your coat would mean that you have to face the elements.”

He smiled in return, sitting next to me on the ledge. “I’ve lived longer than I should, and through more than anyone ever thought possible. A little chill won’t send me into the ground.”

I laughed softly and looked back over the city, watching the silhouettes of huddled people passing through the white sheet below. Every now and then, one of them would pass beneath a street lamp and I could see a face. “Thank you.” I told him, pulling the sleeves inward so the cold wouldn’t get through.

“You’re welcome.” He said, looking down at the street for a few silent moments. “Why do you come here?” He finally questioned, turning his head slightly to see me.

I shrugged. “It helps me clear my head, I guess.” I stated. “And it’s safer than the building I live in. Or the Under City that we call our headquarters.”

“What do you need to clear your head of, Zane?” He pressed.

“Thoughts of my past, my future… I wonder what’s become of my father since the Coven has been destroyed. If he knows that he no longer needs to be in exile.” I pulled my knees to my chest. “And what has become of the friends I had. If they would sooner kill me than look at me now.” I shrugged again. “Things like that.”

He nodded. “Your father was exiled?”

I laughed and turned to him. “Did you not bother finding out who I was before you had Raze bite me?” She asked. “Or did you think any child of a council member was good enough?”

He floundered for a few seconds before looking away. “I thought that you wouldn’t last this long if you had been raised in luxury like the council has been doing to their children.”

I nodded slowly and looked away. “My name is Verona Zane.” I stated, looking back at him. “Not ‘Zane’, as you seem fond of calling me.”

“I still know of none who bare that last name.” He told me.

“That’s because my full name is Verona Zane… Tannis.”

His eyes widened slightly. “I wasn’t aware that Tannis had a child.”

“Then you didn’t know my father very well.” I shook my head and stood. “I think it would be best if I went home now.”

“Let me escort you.” He requested, standing as well.

“There is no need of that. Truly. I will be fine.” I gave him a small smile and stood on top of the ledge.

“My verbal protection will only last against so many.” He told me.

“Then those who try to force themselves upon me will have to answer to my blade. Now if you’ll excuse me, milord.” I gave him a bow of the head and stepped off the building, landing on my feet on the sidewalk.

“Show-off.” A voice mocked, walking towards me from the haze. “You always were like that, though. Tannis.

I smirked and crossed my arms over my chest, which would have looked more badass if she could see it. In one fluid motion, I slid my arms through the sleeves of the coat I wore, folding my arms again. “Tuomi. What a surprise. Where are your watchdogs?”

“Tsk tsk tsk, Tannis. Why must you talk about yourself like that? You’re not a dog.” She told me, a wicked grin on her face.

I growled low in my throat. “I’d rather be a dog than a flying rodent.” I snipped, putting a little distance between me and herself on the off chance she had an entourage ready to attack me.

“Since when did you get such a smart mouth?” She questioned, lounging back against a brick wall, the beam of light hitting her casting an eerie shadow on her features.

“Since I got out from under your shadow and learned that I could have a quick tongue if I chose to.” I turned my eyes to the figure appearing from the mist.

“And that brings me back to the dog comment.” She retorted easily, looking at her blood red nails.

The figure growled angrily and started to shed it’s shirt, the stance showing that it was just waiting for the chance to attack the Death Dealer in front of me.

I held up my hand. “It’s alright, milord. I have no need of your protection against her.” I assured him, returning my arm to it’s location across my chest.

She glanced in the figure’s direction. “You’ve moved up in the world haven’t you, Tannis? Letting the leader of the Lycans fight your battles for you. It really must be convenient. But you never were a fighter. You always had others take up for you rather than you do it yourself. First your father, then me, and now the great Lucian.” She gave the figure a mocking bow.

I shed the coat, rearranging my stance so that I could shift quickly. “You misjudge me, Tuomi. You may be a Death Dealer now, but I am a Lycan. I have no need of weapons to put an end to your life.” I admitted darkly.

She laughed. “I’ll believe that when you’ve killed me.”

Lucian straightened, walking into vision. “Verona, I think we should leave.” He encouraged, glancing around.

“It’s only one Death Dealer. I can take her.” I said, not taking my eyes from her.

“She is not alone. It’s a trap.” He whispered, taking my arm.

Tuomi laughed wickedly. “You should listen to your master, Tannis. Or you’ll end up a pelt on the wall.” She said, backing towards the light as the sound of metal sliding against metal erupted from behind her.

“Vittu.“ I muttered, grabbing the coat that I’d dropped and darting into the thickness of the fog with Lucian. As soon as our feet hit the curb a block away I felt the colour drain from my face. We were surrounded.

“Lucian… Milord, I am sorry.” I said panicked, looking into the glowing blue eyes of the Death Dealers.

He knelt down, pulling the man hole cover up. “Get in.” He commanded.

I looked at him. “No. You go first.”

He growled. “Just do as I say for once!” He snarled.

“They’ll kill you.” I stated, my eyes filling with tears.

He pulled me into a kiss and then dropped me down into the sewer.

I landed on my feet, looking up in time to feel blood splatter my face and I heard a body fall. “Lucian!” I screamed, climbing the ladder to get to him, but the cover was replaced over me and the sound of rushing water started below me. “Lucian!” I screamed again.

“Lucian’s indisposed at the moment. Leave a message and I’ll be sure that he gets it.” A female voice sounded through the holes in the wrought iron above me. “Or you can give it to him yourself, when you see him in hell.”

“Helena! Lena, wait! Don’t kill him, please?” I begged, tears streaming down my face.

“Boo hoo.” She said, mirth apparent in her voice. “I’m afraid it’s too late.”

I felt the water rising up my legs quickly. “You’re lying. Lucian!” I screamed.

“Oh, SHUT. UP already.” She said, bored and annoyed. “Fine. He’s not dead. But you soon will be, so just… accept it.”

I pushed against the cover above me, slipping off the ladder that had become slick from the water and I fell back. “Helena! We were friends!”

“And now we’re enemies. Funny how that works, huh?” She questioned, taunting me. “But your father would want it this way. I’m sure he would hate to know his precious Verona was now a slave’s whore.”

I grabbed hold of the ladder and pulled myself above the water. “Helena, please don’t do this. I don’t kill your kind.”

“Liar, liar. Pants on fire. Let the pills go down and get you higher.” She sing-songed.

I let out a choked sob as the water got to my neck. “If you want to kill me, then please let me talk to Lucian one last time. Please?” I begged.

She scoffed. “Begging was always a weak move. Even for you.” She told me, the sound of snapping fingers and a dragging body following.

“Verona?” He asked.

“Lucian… I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” I sobbed.

“Shh. It’s alright.” He soothed.

“I love you.” I whispered, taking as many breaths as I could before the water got higher.

“I love you too. I’ll see you in the afterlife.” He said quietly, just as the water passed over my head.