The Reluctant Cinderella

Prologue

Dawn slowly opened the front door of her house, praying that it didn’t make a sound. She opened it enough to fit her body through and, while holding her breath, stepped through the door and into the living room. She released her breath and closed her eyes. A noise to her left reminded her that she wasn’t out of the woods yet. She still needed to make it to her bedroom. She closed the door and cringed when it creaked just a little. If anybody heard that, she would be toast.

While staying still she strained her ears listening for any movement that might come from upstairs. When she didn’t hear anything for about thirty seconds she figured that she was in the clear. At that time she didn’t know how wrong she was.

She took one step and regretted it. Her right foot stepped on something soft and squeaky. The object made a noise that wasn’t loud enough for her family upstairs to hear, but it was loud enough for the family dog to wake up and instantly take off in her direction.

The sound of four paws could be heard racing towards the living room and in a matter of seconds something large and furry jumped on her. She fell on her back and winced as pain coursed through her. When she fell she had made a loud thud that caused quite a commotion from above.

The dog began licking her face in greeting. She tried pushing it off but it was in vain. The dog was way too heavy for her petite body.

Suddenly the lights turned on and her older sister’s voice rang out through the air. “Oso! Bed.”

The dog obeyed and ran off happily to its bed. Dawn on the other hand wasn’t too happy as she got up on her feet and faced her sister. Just my luck, she thought.

“Dawn, do you realize what time it is?” her sister asked with crossed arms and a smirk. “I believe it’s way past your curfew.”

“I know, I know,” Dawn replied then sighed. “Please don’t tell mom when she gets home. I’ll do anything, Rose. Please?” She was basically pleading, which was something she didn’t like to do often. But she didn’t have a choice. If she was to get caught coming in late again she would be grounded for two weeks, if she was lucky.

“Anything?”

“Anything.”

Dawn saw that Rose was going to agree. It was in her eyes. They were power hungry and Dawn knew that her older sister was already thinking of things for her to do. Unfortunately, for the both of them that wasn’t going to happen.

“Girls, what’s going on?” their mother said while closing the front door. The two siblings didn’t hear her when she opened the door. They were too busy in their own thoughts. Their mother walked over to them and gave a look that said “Explain.”

“I caught Dawn coming in right now,” Rose said hastily. “I was just telling her that I would have to tell you. She tried threatening me but I told her that it was my responsibility as her older sister to do the right thing.”

“Dawn!” their mother said while turning towards Dawn.

“She’s lying!” Dawn pointed her right index finger at Rose. “You have to believe me.”

“Dawn, did you not come in late?”

“I did but-”

“And did you not try to threaten you older sister?”

“I didn’t threaten her I-”

“She’s lying mother,” Rose injected. “She knows what she’s doing wrong and still tries to get out of it using deceit. Dawn how can you do that to mother?” Rose looked over at her glaring sister with disappointed expression.

“I’ve heard enough. Dawn, you are grounded for two weeks. No going out with friends and no cell phone. Now both of you get to bed.”

Dawn was going to protest but decided against it. Once her mom had her mind set there was no way of changing it. Especially right after she came home from a long day and night at work.

“Good night mother.” Rose said after walking over and kissing her on the cheek. “Night Dawn.” Rose then walked up the stairs and onto the second floor.

“Night mom,” Dawn said as she too went up the stairs.

“Night honey,” her mother replied before going to the kitchen to fix herself a late dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this is the start of my new story. Comments are appreciated! ^.^