The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Ten

The two drove along in Missy's black '69 Chevy Camaro. The car was Missy's eighteenth birthday present from her parents. Dawn absolutely loved her best friend's car and told her so every time she was in it. It was a lot better then her old blue Honda, that she received for her sixteenth birthday. She hoped that one day she'll have a car as awesome as the one the red head was driving. She leaned back against the black leather seat and looked out the window. The world seemed to fly by.

"So," Dawn started, not shifting her gaze from the window, "where exactly are we going to find him? He can be anywhere."

"He can't be anywhere Dawn." Missy replied. "I'm pretty sure he's still in the city. Most likely at the outdoor mall. Probably near the ice cream parlor."

Dawn turned her head and looked at Missy. "Okay... and how did you come up with that assumption?" She paused as a thought hit her. Her eyes narrowed. "Have you been snooping around?"

"Maybe..." Missy approached a red light and stopped but she didn't finish her sentence.

"You have been snooping! Missy I've told you before to leave things-"

A honk of a horn cut off her sentence. The light had turned green only a moment ago and already someone was being impatient. The honking continued as Missy moved forward at a slow speed. The man in the big truck rapidly went into the next lane, honked his horn again, then cut in front of them. He sped off causing some skid marks on the road.

"Jerk," Missy said as she went faster. "So, what were you saying again?"

"Leave things alone."

"Dawn, I'm shocked that you actually believe that me, your best friend, would start snooping around other people's lives."

Dawn rolled her eyes. "Then how did you know where he will be?"

"Simple, I snooped around." She laughed and soon Dawn joined her.

"That's the Missy I know."

"It's what I do best."

"Yeah.. I don't think that's something to be proud of."

Missy came to another light and stopped before looking at Dawn. "Well I am so there." She stuck her tongue out and the laughter began again. "Now no more talking. I love this song." She turned the volume up higher and the two listened to music the rest of the way to the mall.

The mall was very crowded for a Saturday afternoon. Much more crowded than on other weekend. This was due to the carnival coming up in just a matter of weeks. Just about everybody in the city was anxious and couldn't wait to start shopping. Boutiques where packed and accessory shops will selling a lot of jewelry and other items. The mall itself was already decorated with summer stuff. One couldn't turn around and not find something related to summer and the beach being displayed. The city was really getting into the carnival spirit. Dawn and Missy agreed that it was one of the best ideas the mayor had.

They walked side-by-side looking at the displays in the windows and gazing at some of the expensive dresses they longed to have but had no money to buy. Dawn found a beautiful strapless black gown she would love to own. Although her parents had the money to spend they just wouldn't hand it to her. If she wanted something that expensive then she would have to get a job, something she did not want to do until after she graduated.

"Come on," Missy said while dragging her friend from the window. "We're on a mission remember?"

Dawn pulled her arm away and walked next to Missy. "So now it's a mission?"

"Yep." Missy nodded. "Operation Prince Charming."

Dawn couldn't help but laugh. "Okay, you're officially loco. I can't believe you actually gave it a name."

"And I can't believe how much you're talking right now. We're supposed to be quiet and not draw attention to ourselves."

Dawn looked around at the crowd around them. They blended in nicely and everybody was too focused on their own needs. No one was giving them a second glance. She wasn't so sure if they were getting a first one. But she stayed quiet and followed Missy. Besides it was nice to get out of the house and have some fun.

"There!" Missy suddenly said while stopping. Her finger was pointing towards Emma's Ice Cream Parlor across the way. It was packed with people trying to cool down from the summer heat.

"How do you even know that he's there at this time? And it's packed! We're gonna end up playing a game of Where's Jason? or something."

"Oh don't worry Dawn. I think finding him is going to be easy. Follow me."

They walked across the street and went up to the window. They couldn't see inside easily since a very large woman was blocking a good part of the window.

Missy sighed. "Jeez, move you're fat-"

"Missy!" Dawn hissed.

"What?"

"Don't-"

"Look!" The woman moved the counter was in plain view.

Dawn noticed a man scooping ice cream from the carton. A pink and white stripped hat was blocking his face. He finished filling the waffle bowl and looked up to hand the bowl over to the customer. She gasped. It was Jason!

She looked at Missy. "He works here?"

"Yeah. I pity him actually. Having to wear that horrible outfit. Pink does not work for him." She shook her head.

"Hm," Dawn started. "I thought since his dad is a cop that he would be training to be one as well. Or at least get a better job." She looked back at the counter but he was gone.

"Aww, disappointed that Prince Charming doesn't have a glorious job?"

"Come on Missy. You know I'm not like that. If he's happy then good for him. At least he's making money."

"Yeah. Well let's go." Missy turned around and began walking away.

"What?" Dawn said while following. "We came out here just to find him and we're not going to even talk to him?"

Missy stopped. "Ah, so you do want to talk to him."

"Yes, but just to be friends. That's it."

Missy just stood still with her arms folded. Slowly a mischievous smile crept onto her face.

"Stop it Missy." Dawn warned. "Whatever you're thinking now get rid of it."

Missy opened her mouth but Dawn quickly covered it with her hand. "I said no. And pouting won't work." Missy's pout that appeared quickly went away just as fast. Dawn removed her hand. "Look, we're at the mall and the sun is out. It's such a beautiful day. Let's enjoy it!."

A sigh escaped Missy. "You're right. Let's have some fun and stuff ourselves with junk food!" A big smile was on her face now. Dawn nodded and the two walked away from the ice cream parlor. Missy was absolutely fine with not talking about her thoughts at the moment. She could wait patiently for the nighttime.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would like some honest criticism for this chapter. I'm not so sure about it and want to know what everyone thinks.

Happy New Year!