The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Eighteen

Dawn had managed to avoid Jason and Rose be either staying in her room or going out. She had been giving Oso more walks to the park a few blocks away. She found it a nice place to just sit and relax. And if Oso wanted to run round she could release him and watch him go. He always stayed nearby and only wandered off once to chase a squirrel. But in Oso’s defense the squirrel was taunting him. It was on one afternoon, three days before the first ball to be exact, that Oso decided to take off again. This time there was no pesky squirrel involved.

At first the St. Bernard was sniffing around like usual and going to his favorite tree. Suddenly he took off full speed, yanking Dawn along as she tried in vain to stop him and not fall over. The leash flew from her hand, causing a small rope burn, and the dog was out of sight. Dawn winced in pain and began rubbing her palms. “Damn, that hurt,” she muttered as she continued rubbing. She took a good look at the two burns and figured that they would go away after she put some ice on them. Now she had to find Oso.

“Oso!” she called out while walking in the direction he went. “Come here boy! Here Oso!”

She was quiet for a moment, listening for any sound he might make. Finally she heard is bark. Then another. Relived she quickened her pace and didn’t stop until she found him. He was sitting by a beautiful tree. The light from the sun made it shine and the twitter of birds filled the air. It was a secluded area she noted and not many people seem to go there. She sat down near Oso and leaned against the tree trunk. Without hesitation he lay down and placed his head on her lap.

“We should have found this place earlier,” she said while petting his head. “It’s a beautiful place. A place to just get away from everyone.” She sighed.

They sat there until the sun started to slowly sink. She knew it was time for them to leave. They couldn’t stay in that wonderful place forever. Now matter how badly she wanted to. So they made there way back to the Santiago household before the sun went down. She brought Oso to the backyard then let him go before heading inside. She was in the kitchen getting herself a glass of water, for the walk had made her quite thirsty. She had just finished the rest of the water when one of her least favorite people walked in.

“So the carnival is starting tomorrow,” Rose said. “And pretty soon the balls. Still planning on going?” she asked.

“Yes, I am,” Dawn answered then turned away, going to refill her glass. She’s probably just want to rub it in that she’s going with Jason, she thought. Like I care.

“I’m dying to see your dresses. I’m also quite curious about your date.” She paused. “You do have a date, right?” Rose took a few steps over to Dawn, who still had her back turned.

Dawn placed the glass halfway filled with water down on the counter. She didn’t turn to face her older sister. “I don’t see how that is any of your business.”

“I just want to make sure that you don’t show up alone like some sad, pathetic person. Or worse. Show up like some loser with that friend of yours.”

This caused Dawn to turn. “Since when did you care?” She furrowed her eyebrows.

“Dawn, I’m just looking out for you,” Rose said innocently. “I hate seeing you hang out with the wrong type of people. You don’t need to take pity on people who obviously need it.”

This caused Dawn’s blood to boil. “You don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. I don’t hang with the wrong ‘type’ and the person you think I take ‘pity’ on doesn’t need it at all. Her family is doing just as well as ours. Maybe even better. So do everyone a favor and shut your mouth.” Her eyes narrowed.

Rose just laughed. “And who’s going to make me? You?” She laughed again. “P-uh-lease.”

“I said shut up.”

Rose took a step closer, closing the gap between the two. She was smirking. “It doesn’t matter what you say. You will never change. You’ll always be the weakling you are now. And you’ll always be the quiet, and obedient girl.”

Dawn couldn’t take it anymore. Her anger was getting the better of her. And that stupid smug look on Rose’s face wasn’t helping at all. In an instant she lost it and attacked Rose. The two were now fighting and somehow ended up on the floor. Dawn was on top of Rose, pinning her shoulders down and shaking her violently.

“What the hell is your fucking problem!” Dawn yelled at the top of her voice. “What have I ever done to you! Just leave me the hell alone!”

“Dawn, get off me!” Rose yelled back.

At that moment the kitchen door opened and every Santiago in the house, including Oso, ran in. It was their Mother who spotted them both on the kitchen floor. A look of horror was on her face when she saw her daughters fighting. But soon it changed to anger.

“What is going on here!” Mary shouted as she stormed over. “Get off her Dawn!” She grabbed her youngest daughter’s shoulders and yanked her off. Dawn tried to get back at Rose but her mother held her tightly.

Joseph went to help Rose up and ask if she was okay. Sky and Oso were still by the door, not moving or saying anything.

“Explain yourselves,” Mary demanded. They both started talking at the same time and she yelled for them to quiet down. “One at a time.”

Rose was the first to speak up. “Dawn just attacked me for no good reason! I was here in the kitchen, minding my own business, when she just started yelling on me. I don’t know what’s become of her.”

Mary turned to Dawn with anger burning in her eyes. Dawn’s anger hadn’t completely faded yet. “She’s lying. Can’t you see? She always lies to you.” She shot Rose a glare. “How can you two let her get away with it? We wouldn’t be in this mess if you just saw how she really is!”

“Dawn, lower your voice!” Mary said. “You know better than to yell at us. And that still doesn’t give you a reason to attack your own sister. You’re eighteen years old and I thought you knew better than that.”

“Mom, I feel like it’s my fault,” Rose suddenly said. Dawn was suspicious at that comment. Was Rose finally going to confess everything she’s done? “But I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I thought I was being a good older sister.” Then she began to cry.

Dawn could not believe her older sister. She was up to her old tricks and by the looks on their parents’ faces they believed it. Like always. She just couldn’t win.

“Dawn as for your punishment you are grounded for two weeks. This also means that you aren’t allowed to go to the carnival or balls.”

Dawn’s eyes widened. She was grounded? She couldn’t go to the balls. Water began to fill her open eyes. “But Mom, you can’t-”

“Do you want me to make it three weeks?” Her mom snapped.

She shook her head. “No but…” Her gaze landed on her father. “Dad, please. Please?” She was begging, hoping that he would side with her. But when he looked away she knew all hope was lost.

“Your punishment starts now. Go up to your room immediately.” Mary then turned and left the kitchen. Sky and Oso followed behind quickly and Joseph gave one last look at Dawn before he, too, left. Rose and Dawn were the last ones left.

“That’s what you get when he mess with me,” Rose said with an evil grin then exited.

It was at that moment Dawn realized that was Rose’s plan the whole time. She wanted to push Dawn over the edge and hoped that she fought back physically. And I fell right into that trap. She wanted me to get grounded. The tears spilled over as she ran out of the kitchen, up the stairs, and finally into her bedroom. She threw herself onto her bed and began sobbing even more.

A few minutes later her cell phone rang and reluctantly answered it. “Hi Missy,” she said, with sorrow in her tone.

“Are you okay? Have you been crying?” Missy asked.

“Oh, Missy, it’s terrible. I’m not allowed to go to the carnival or balls!” Here she began crying again.

“What?! But why?”

Dawn wiped the tears from her face. She knew that her eyes were red and puffy and she probably looked horrible. But she felt worse than she looked. “Rose,” was all that she said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, what an intense chapter. Rose has finally pushed Dawn over the edge. Too bad it didn't work out for her.

Comments are loved!