The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Twenty-three

The next morning Dawn awoke to her older sister still complaining loudly about the last ball. She turned and looked at her clock, groaning when she saw the time. Six in the morning and she’s already bitching? A hand grabbed her blanket and pulled it over her head as she shut her eyes hoping to go back to sleep. She was having such a nice dream before the irritating voice of Rose disturbed it.

“Dawn, get up!” her mother yelled as she knocked on the door a couple of times.

She groaned again. The blanket she had just covered herself with was now being reluctantly pushed away and slowly she sat up. Yawning, she rubbed her eyes, trying to get them to adjust to the light from the sun. It was on mornings like these that she wished her room had the curtains hotels used. Nice and thick and blocking the sun’s rays.

After a quick shower she was dressed and walking down the stairs, wondering how long she can stand listening to Rose before going insane.

“It’s not fair!” Dawn heard Rose yell before she entered the kitchen. She opened the door and cautiously stepped inside. Knowing her sister, if she was angry enough, something might go flying through the air.

“Rose, you yelling is not helping anything,” Mrs. Santiago calmly replied from the stove as she finished making some scrambled eggs. She moved them from the pan onto a larger plate, then grabbed it and started walking over to the kitchen island. Carefully she set the plate down next to a few others.

Quietly, Dawn began serving herself while listening to the conversation. She tried to remain as invisible as she could.

“But he’s the one who ditches me for some other girl and I get into trouble?” Rose replied with a slight pout.

Dawn watched as her mom slowly turned to face Rose. The woman’s arms were crossed as she drew herself up to her full height. She stared down at her oldest daughter until Rose submitted and looked away. “You’re behavior last night was completely embarrassing to not only you’re father and I, but your brother and sister as well. Now, I am not happy about what Jason did but since he’s not my son there’s nothing I can do. But you,” Mary’s tone held anger as she said that word but it disappeared as she continued, “are my daughter and because of that scene you caused will be punished.”

“But mom…” Rose whined as she pouted some more.

“No!” The yell caused both Rose and Dawn to jump. “You will not talk or pout you’re way out of this one. Your father and I may have been lenient before but you’re an adult now and need to take responsibility for your actions. I will not discuss this anymore.” With that Rose was dismissed and half stormed/half cried her way out of the kitchen.

Dawn knew it was wrong but was happy to see her sister finally get what she deserved. All of those years of getting what she wanted were now over and maybe Dawn could get some peace. Smiling, she grabbed a strip of bacon off of her plate and took a bite. She started for the door but stopped when her mom called her name.

“Yes?” she innocently said after swallowing the bacon. She turned her head to her mom.

Her mother was pointing a spatula at her. “Don’t think for a second that this situation with your sister has made me forget about your punishment. I have a list of chores I would like you to finish today.”

Immediately Dawn’s smile vanished. She was going to say something but thought better of it. She sighed then said, “Yes, mom,” before leaving the kitchen.

Her first chore of the day was to take all of the plastic bottles to be recycled. Easy enough, Dawn thought as she walked into the garage. “Or not,” she said as she saw five trash bags full. Clearly no one was taking care of the recycling regularly, as they should. “Of course it wouldn’t be easy,” she muttered as she grabbed two trash bags and began walking to the door that led outside. “Or it wouldn’t be considered a punishment.”

The first two bags where in the backseat of her car and she jogged to go get the rest. Soon all but one was in her car and that one would ride in the front passenger seat. Her car wasn’t big enough to hold all five in the back, so the other two where in the trunk. With the last bag in she shut the door and smiled with relief. So far everything was going smoothly.

“Good morning Dawn,” Jason said from behind.

Dawn stiffened a little and didn’t turn around. She couldn’t face him. Not now. It was only last night that she discovered his crush on her. She needed time to think things over and figure out her own feelings.

“Good morning Jason,” Dawn finally said as she turned around. She noticed that he was holding a water bottle that was almost empty.

“Why is it that whenever I meet you outside of your house, you have trash with you?” he asked.

She gave a small smile, knowing that he was half-joking. “For your information this is not trash but plastic bottles to be recycled. I am saving the planet.” She lightly poked him in the chest. “Are you saving the planet?”

Jason laughed as he rubbed the spot where she had poked him. “Nope.” He opened the water bottle and finished the rest of the water. Smiling, he grabbed her hand and placed the empty bottle in it. “Now I am.”

“Hey! Recycle your own bottles.” She lifted her arm to throw it at him but she was too late. He was already running back to his house. Shaking her head she looked down at the hand he had touched. The tingles that had arrived where already were starting to fade away. Her gaze went back to his house. She just didn’t understand him. He had admitted about liking her to who he thought was a stranger. So why couldn’t he bring himself to tell her face to face? Was he starting to doubt his own feelings too?

“Dawn, you haven’t left yet?” Her mother shouted from the porch. “You better move quickly, young lady. I expect you to have all of your chores done by the end of the day.”

“Yes, mom!” she shouted back as she got into her car. She could tell it already was going to be one of those days.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short chapter. More of a filler. Hope you liked it!