The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Twenty-six

“Oso, stay,” Dawn commanded to the playful St. Bernard at the end of the red leash. The dog didn’t listen and began walking away before Dawn had a chance to close the front door. “Oso!” The door was quickly slammed shut and the two were off.

A short trip later and they were at the unusually crowded neighborhood park. Dawn guessed that everyone else was trying to get as much done before summer ended. Could it really be coming to an end? she thought as she sat on an open bench. Could all of that really have happened? Oso pulled at the leash breaking her out of her thoughts. She carefully yanked him back and only loosed her grip when he finally sat down at her feet.

She titled her head back and looked at the blue sky above the trees. It was so beautiful and calming. Time to relax.

Oso lightly pulled at the leash and waged his tail. It brushed against her legs, causing her eyes to open. “What now Oso? Oh!” Her gaze landed on Jason standing a few feet in front of her. She was a little surprised that she didn’t even hear him approach.

“Well, fancy seeing you here, Dawn,” Jason said with a smile.

“When did you become a ninja? Jeez, do you always sneak up on people?” Oso was trying to jump towards Jason and Dawn seriously considered letting go of the leash.

“Can’t I just get a simple ‘Hello’?” he said with a chuckle.

“Maybe… if you didn’t startle people who are trying to relax,” was her quick reply. It was only a few days since they last spoke and Dawn noticed that it was becoming easier. But why shouldn’t it? She still didn’t have feelings for him anymore, right?

“Mind if I sit?” He gestured towards the bench, but didn’t wait for a reply.

Next thing Dawn knew, Jason was sitting rather close with their arms only inches away from touching. “Sure, have a seat,” she said sarcastically with a roll of her eyes. She slightly angled herself to face him and noticed that he was busy petting Oso. The dog was as happy as can be. His tail was wagging so much she was afraid that it might fall off. “He really does like you.”

He gave a quick glance at her. “What’s not to like?”

“Looks like Mr. Modesty is back,” she muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing.”

They were quiet after that. Jason was busy with the dog while Dawn was having a mental fight with herself. For the past few days she was considering revealing herself to Jason about being the mystery woman from the balls.

It will lift this heavy pressure from my chest if I do, she thought. I should just come clean and get it over with. But… what will he think once he finds out? Will he be angry that I deceived him? That’s what really bothered her. The thought of him being angry with her. Him thinking that she just used him for her own little fun. She wasn’t a horrible person but maybe her actions those past three nights were enough to condemn her a little.

That settles it. She’s going to confess everything right now.

“Ah, Jason. I have something to tell you,” she said quickly.

He gave Oso one more pat on the head before turning his full attention to her. “Sure, what’s up?”

After gathering up some courage and taking a deep breath she began. “You see-”

At that moment Jason’s phone went off, cutting her off. He grabbed his phone from his front pocket and looked at the ID. “So sorry. I need to get this.” He stood and began talking to the person on the other line, taking a few steps away.

Moments later he returned. “That was Emma. The parlor is really crowded and she needs me to help out. We’ll continue our conversation later, okay?”

Dawn nodded. “Of course. It wasn’t that important any way. Go and have fun at work.”

“Thanks.” He gave her a smile. “Bye Oso.” After giving the dog when more pat he waved goodbye to Dawn then left.

Dawn leaned back against the bench and let out a sigh. My luck sucks.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not dead, I promise! Life just got in the way.