The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Two

“So you just left without waiting for his reply?” Missy, Dawn’s best friend, said. “Why?”

“Why?” Dawn said incredulously. “Didn’t you just listen to a word I said? I was making a fool of myself! I couldn’t stay there a second longer.” She sighed. “He’s going to think I’m a freak or somethin’.”

“No he’s not.” She patted her sad friend on the head. “Just talk to him again. You know… try to become friends.”

Dawn just shook her head then sighed again.

The two friends were sitting on the cherry red swing on Dawn’s porch. The day was a little bit colder compared to the one before. The sun was shining brightly but a few clouds would cover it once in a while and there was a slight breeze. Birds could be heard chirping in the trees that surrounded the houses and cul-de-sac. There was a bark of a dog from a nearby house then the owner quieting it down. People were outside enjoying the sunshine; some were out walking while others were tending to their yards and gardens. It was a beautiful day.

Unfortunately Dawn took no notice of it. The very next morning after the incident, as she liked to call it, she had called her best friend and asked her to come over. Being the great best friend she was Missy agreed and drove down to Dawn’s house as soon as she washed her face and put her hair into a ponytail. She was still in her pajamas but didn’t care.

Missy has been Dawn’s best friend since fifth grade. She was new to the area and school and didn’t have any friends. Dawn was interested in the new girl with amber red hair, pale skin, and green eyes and decided to talk to her. It turned out that they had a lot in common and became friends fast. They were inseparable ever since. Missy stuck by Dawn’s side through thick and thin and was always willing to give advice.

“Cheer up,” Missy said smiling. “It was just one tiny incident. He probably forgot already. He is a guy after all. Don’t beat yourself up about it.”

“Easy for you to say. You weren’t there.” Dawn stood up and walked over to the porch railing. Her light blue summer dress swayed slightly in the breeze as did her hair. She turned then leaned against the railing with her arms crossed.

“You make it sound like you have a crush on him.”

“What! No, its just first impressions are important.”

“Uh huh,” Missy said while rolling her eyes. She looked passed Dawn taking a quick glance around the cul-de-sac. “Hey Dawn,” she said while standing up, “what did he look like again?”

“Tall, dark hair, caramel eyes. Why?”

“Because I think he’s walking over here.” Missy pointed behind Dawn, her charm bracelet sliding on her wrist. The little charms made a chiming sound as they bumped into each other. “Holding Tupperware?” She brought her arm down and let it hang by plaid pajama pants. Her green eyes scanned Jason’s body from head to toe as he walked closer.

“What?” Dawn turned around and gasped. Jason was walking right towards them. She couldn’t believe it. Why would he be coming over to her house? She turned back to face Missy. “What’s he doing here?”

“I don’t know but,” she whistled, “he’s fine.”

“Hey,” a voice said close to Dawn.

She turned around and saw Jason walking over to her. He was wearing a plain black T-shirt with worn out jeans. His dark hair was wet, most likely from a recent shower she guessed. Once again he had that melt-worthy smile on his face. His manner was that of confidence and something else Dawn couldn’t think of.

“Hi,” Dawn said.

“I came back to return the Tupperware. Mom said I had to give it back first thing in the morning. Why she made me do it I can only guess. Here.” He handed her the Tupperware. After she took it he continued. “The dinner was good. Mom seemed to love it.”

“Thanks.” There was silence.

Missy figured by Dawn’s silence that she would have to introduce herself. She stepped past Dawn and stood right in front of Jason, giving him a smile. “Hi, I’m Melissa O'Brien,” she extended her right hand and they did a quick shake. “But call me Missy. I’m her best friend.”

When Missy introduced herself Dawn realized that she hadn’t done so the night before. “Oh!” she said after Missy had finished her sentence. “I guess I should properly introduce myself. Since I didn’t last night. I’m Dawn Santiago.”

“Nice to meet you two. I’m Jason Williams.” He said to both of the girls. He then turned his attention to Missy. “Umm, do you know that you’re in your pajamas?”

“Yeah, got a problem with that?”

“No, just curious.” He smiled at the friends.

Dawn weakly smiled back. “Sorry for running off like that last night. It was rude.”

“Don’t sweat it.” He waved absently. “I seem to have that affect on most girls.”

The shorter friend rolled her eyes. At the same time Dawn said sarcastically, “Well, aren’t we just Mr. Modesty?” She realized that was the other manner she sensed about him. Not only was he confident but he was cocky as well.

He just laughed then sat down on the porch swing suddenly turning serious. The friends turned to face him. “So, since I’m new in town I was wondering if you can give me a tour. Then we can become more acquainted and maybe become friends. So, what do you say?” He leaned back into the swing and placed his hands behind his head.

Dawn was surprised at his sudden change. He went from cocky to serious in a matter of seconds.

“Hold on a sec,” Missy said then turned herself and Dawn around. “I think you should do it,” she whispered. “That way you two can become friends like I mentioned earlier. This is the perfect opportunity. I’ll come along if you want.”

“Okay, I’ll do it as long as you come with us,” Dawn whispered back. Then she turned back, facing Jason once again. She was about to open her mouth to say “Yes” but didn’t get a chance to. For at that exact moment the front door opened and Rose walked out, wearing a red tank top, short-shorts, and red flip-flops.

“Dawn, you’re needed inside. Oh, who’s this?” Rose said as soon as she spotted Jason on the swing. She smiled and began twirling her brown hair. That was her trademark move whenever showed great interest in a guy. It never failed. “I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Rose, Dawn’s older sister.”

Jason told her his name and they shook hands. Rose continued to twirl her hair and gave him the smile she used on most guys.

“I couldn’t help but over hear your guys’ conversation,” she started, “a tour sounds like a great idea. But unfortunately Dawn can’t show you around right now. She has some chores to do and they will take most of the day to finish.”

“Oh,” Jason said sounding disappointed. He looked at Dawn. “Then maybe we can do it some other day.”

“Nonsense!” Rose shouted as she walked over to him and grabbed his arm hoisting him off of the swing. “I have nothing planned for the day. I can show you around right now.” She giggled.

Missy stuck her finger in her mouth and pretended to gag. Dawn nodded once then looked at Jason anticipating his answer.

“Well…” Jason said.

“Pwetty please?” Rose began to pout and bat her brown eyes.

“Okay.” He gave her a small smile.

“Great! Let’s go!” She began walking and, still holding on to his arm, pulled Jason along.

He turned back to look at Dawn. “Talk to you later Dawn, okay?”

“Yeah, definitely,” she responded. He smiled again before giving his attention back to Rose.

Dawn and Missy watched them walk down the sidewalk and stop in front of Rose’s car. They both turned around as the car sped off.

“I can’t believe that slut thinks she can do whatever she wants,” Missy said as she walked back to the swing and sat down.

“Please don’t call her that. She is still my sister.” Dawn went back to her earlier spot on the porch railing. She was still holding the Tupperware.

“Why do you defend her when she treats you like shit all the time?”

“Because, like I’ve told you a thousand times, she’s still family. I’m loyal to them.”

“Ya know, this whole ‘loyalty’ bullshit is getting old. How can someone possibly stay loyal to a person who doesn’t give a damn about them?”

“It’s not bullshit. And I can’t help it. It’s just who I am.” She sighed. “Look, I don’t want to get into another argument about this. Let’s just go inside and hang for a while.” She stood straight then began walking to the front door. “I really should start those chores.”

Missy stood up and followed her. “How much do you wanna bet most of those chores were Rose’s?” When her friend didn’t reply, but instead just walked in, Missy sighed then tried another tactic to get a response. “Aww, poor Cinderella. Once again being forced to do one of her evil sister’s chores.”

“Stop calling me that!”

“Ow!” Missy said rubbing her head. “I can’t believe you just threw Tupperware at me.” She ducked as the other one went soaring through the air, aimed at her head again. It landed outside with a thud. Missy laughed as she picked it up then closed the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please!