The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Thirty-two

The house was silent and dark. The family dog was in his favorite spot, peacefully sleeping. Everyone in the household was tucked away into his or her bed. Or so it would seem. In two of the rooms each occupant was wide-awake, although for different reasons.

Rose was quietly walking around, finishing up the outfit for the night. She used a dim flashlight to illuminate a few objects then placed them in her purse. She had to hurry because her ride was coming soon. After one more look at herself in the mirror she then exited her room, and after quietly closing her door, made her way to the staircase.

The other person awake was pacing their moonlit room, deep in thought. She couldn’t sleep for the argument earlier that day was still fresh in her mind. Geez, Dawn. You shouldn’t let it get to you so much, she thought as she stopped and sighed. But it did get to her. Just like every fight she had with her older sister. She sighed again and finally decided to go down and get some water then head to bed. It was no use losing sleep over something that could be dealt with in the morning. With that settled she left her room, then stopped so her eyes could adjust to the darkness. Once she could see better she continued her way to the staircase. But before she could get any closer she stopped when she spotted another figure at the top. She took one step… creak!

Rose turned quickly with a small gasp, then turned her flashlight on. She wasn’t worried that the person was one of her parents because their room was in the other direction. That left either Sky or Dawn. With it’s dimmed light she saw that it was, in fact, her little sister. “What the heck are you doing up?” Rose snapped.

Dawn actually wasn’t shocked that her sister was up. “Me?” she started as she walked over, “What about you?” She then noticed that Rose wasn’t in her pajamas. “Are you going out?”

“It’s none of your business. Now, go back to bed.” Rose turned but Dawn grabbed her arm causing Rose to stop.

“You’re already in trouble. Do you want to make it worst?” Dawn hissed. She didn’t want to speak loudly and wake her parents.

“I don’t see why you care,” Rose whispered. She, too, didn’t want to wake her parents.

“Haven’t I told you a million times before? I care because you are my sister. You’re family.” She let go of Rose’s arm then crossed hers. “I said this earlier.”

Rose just simply looked down at her sister with a glare. “Oh, I remember our conversation. I remember how you called me a psycho. That doesn’t exactly scream ‘caring’ to me.” She then shoved Dawn a bit with a smug look on her face. “Just stay out of my life.”

Dawn managed to keep her balance then straightened herself. “No.”

“No?” Rose smirked. “Does my little sister look up to me? Does she want to be me?” All of this was said sarcastically and the smirk never left her face.

“I don’t want to be you,” Dawn said, while walking over. “But I just want to be in your life.”

The smirk vanished. “That is something I don’t want. Just leave me alone you sorry excuse for a sister.”

Dawn’s eyes widened and she was rooted in her place. Rose turned with a triumphant smile and took one step down. But Dawn wasn’t going to back down. No, she found the will to move, reached out and grabbed Rose by the arm once again. “I’m sorry, but you’re stuck with me whether you like it or not.”

“Let. Go. Of. Me,” Rose said, as she tried to yank her arm free, but Dawn’s grasp was strong.

Dawn pulled back, but with Rose going the other way, she found herself rocking back and forth. Quickly she grabbed the banister with her other hand and held on tightly. They continued yanking and pulling until both sisters lost their balance. For Dawn it happened in slow motion. She watched Rose falling backwards, while at the same time her hand grabbing the banister gave way. She too was falling and gave out a scream as did Rose. Both of their eyes were opened wide and, as they looked at each other, they both saw the same expression: fear. Then, before Dawn knew it there was pain and then everything went black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally going to update this story again. I want to thank all of my lovely subscribers who stuck with me while I was on a hiatus.

My life has gotten in the way these past few months. First I was looking for a job. Then found one, only to be fired two weeks later. Then I had to look for another job. This week I had an interview for Disneyland and I got the job! So expect updates to be up regularly.