The Reluctant Cinderella

Chapter Seven

It was one of the rare occasions when all of the Santiago members were present for dinner. Mrs. Santiago was able to leave work early, though she was ready to rush back if she was needed, and Mr. Santiago had a short evening at work. Rose was still forced to go home right after school and Sky was finally convinced to actually eat at the table with the family. Dawn was amazed at how peaceful the dinner was.

Unfortunately it didn't last long once the carnival and balls were brought up.

"Oh, I can't wait!" Rose exclaimed as she picked up another slice of pepperoni pizza. "I already have many ideas going through my mind. Mom, we have to go out shopping," she said as she looked across the table at her mother.

"Of course honey. We'll plan a whole day just for shopping," Mrs. Santiago replied after taking a sip of coke. "Dawn should come too."

At this suggestion Rose gave a quick glare at her sister sitting next to her then she focused her attention back to her mother. "That sounds like a good idea... but I don't think Dawn will be going."

"What?" Dawn said. "What makes you think that I'm not going?" She stared at her older sister, not lifting her gaze.

"Oh come on! You don't know how to dance. You'll just make a fool of yourself." Rose rolled her eyes then took a bite of her pizza.

"Well, it's not up to you. I'm going." Dawn nodded before returning to her slice.

"Girls, don't argue at the dinner table," their mother injected.

"Yes, mother," they said in unison.

For a while the table was quiet and that started to bug Rose. To her the quiet meant boring and that was not acceptable. So she decided to make some more conversation.

"Sky," she started looking at her older brother who was sitting near their mother, "you're going to the balls right?"

"I don't know," he muttered with a shrug, picking at his salad.

"You have to go! Don't worry I'll pick out clothes for you," she said with a grin.

He looked up at her. "Okay, just don't make them embarrassing."

Rose squealed in delight, making Dawn cringe.

A sigh from the head of the table caused Dawn to look towards her father. His plate was empty and he pushed it away. This was signal that he was finished.

"I have an announcement to make," he said. He waited a moment for everyone to give him their attention. "Today, the firm was asked to represent a banker in court. Not wanting to pass up the opportunity, I agreed."

"That's great dear," his wife said with a grin.

"Yes... but the case will be held in New York City. I'll be leaving in two days and probably stay for a week."

"Joseph, you should have told me earlier. I’ve been scheduled to work the night shift next week. I’ll be gone all night and part of the morning. We can’t leave the kids alone for that long.”

“Mom, you don’t have to worry about us,” Rose said. “Sky and me can take care of ourselves.”

“Yeah,” Sky agreed.

“You’re right but someone will need to watch Dawn.”

“Hey, I’m not a child mom. I’m eighteen. I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself,” Dawn said.

“I don’t know…”

“Missy’s parents left her and Aidan alone and they went to Ireland. Which is a country across the ocean,” Dawn argued.

“Dawn,” her dad started and she turned her gaze to him, “I’m going to have to agree with your mother. Missy’s parents my leave their children alone and that’s fine. But we are different.”

Dawn crossed her arms, a little irritated that they still considered her a child. She was an adult for goodness sakes!

“I’ll watch her mom,” Rose stated with an innocent smile.

“That’s a great idea Rose!”

When her dad agreed Dawn groaned out loud causing a stern stare from her mother.

“It’s settled then. Rose you are in charge of Dawn. And Dawn, listen to your older sister,” her mother declared.

With that sentence the decision was final.

After dinner Dawn and Rose were put in charge with washing and drying the dishes. Naturally that meant that Dawn was going to do all the work. So, there she stood with her arms full of suds washing everything from that night’s and yesterday night’s dinner while Rose “supervised.”

After texting back a reply from a friend Rose put the cell phone into her front pocket then crossed her arms, fixing her gaze on Dawn.

“You’re really planning on going to the balls?” she asked.

“Yes, I am,” Dawn replied while placing a wet plate onto the rack to dry.

“Oh, I don’t think so, if mom says you can’t go.”

“Well, she hasn’t said anything yet.”

“I think she will.”

Here Dawn stopped and turned around to face her sister.

“I suggest that you stop thinking. You don’t want to overload your brain.” She smirked.

Rose glared then walked over to her sister. Dawn stood her ground not wanting to show she was intimated. Honestly though she didn’t know what her sister might do.

A smirk was on Rose’s face as she looked away and saw the glass cup on the counter. With a smack of her hand the cup fell off the counter and crashed onto the floor shattering into many pieces. Quickly, Rose turned and ran to the doorway and stopped a few seconds before her mom entered.

“What happened,” the older Santiago asked.

“Dawn dropped the glass cup and it shattered,” Rose rapidly said before Dawn could speak.

“Dawn, clean it up then finish the dishes. Rose come with me into the living room,” she said before exiting the kitchen.

Rose gave another smirk to Dawn before following her mother out. With a sigh she dried her hands then grabbed the broom that was nearby and began sweeping the shards.
♠ ♠ ♠
Constructive criticism is welcomed!