Hate That I Love You

The Self-Conscious Hairdresser

Not that I cared, I mean, who does now days?
The glossy magazine lay in front of me, spread open, allowing me to view the feminine contents of it. I wasn’t like them, the girls in the magazine, I had no self-esteem, I didn’t consider myself pretty, or anything like that. I couldn’t imagine myself being in any form of media material, its not that I wanted to be, I just envied all the pretty girls with the good lives, they lived life so easily they never had anyone put them down, or give them shit, they had good lives.
The only things good in my life were family and a wonderful love for music, I wasn’t very musical as much as I would have liked to have been, I wasn’t, and I could live with that fact, but the real musicians were so talented, I just wanted to be as talented as them. I life wasn’t crap, I never really saw anything in life, no Im not depressed, I am very optimistic, I just see life from a different angle, and it is… very different. My name is Loreli, Im still young enough to touch my toes, and make fun of oldies. I’m a very solitary person, I love my own company, a little to much, I have a few friends, not that I need anymore.
I blankly glanced at the television screen, not taking anything in, just staring, what I do best. The news always bored me, it was all yesterdays news and the majority of it was bad anyway, so why make life any worse than it already is? The screen fuzzed around for a bit, my eyes adjusted to the blare, not able to tear them away.
“….and I hear you’re here, in New York, what will you’s guys be doing here while you aren’t playing?” The camera flashed towards a skinny dark-haired male, speaking into his microphone, my eyes were still unnaturally plastered to the television, but I was fading out of my stare, my eyes focusing again on the actual TV show. The news, how great. The reported passed the microphone to another dark-haired skinny man, but this one was more attractive and better to look at, I thought he should have been the reporter, they would definitely be more successful.
“We are really just getting used to touring again, its been a while, and right now, we were figuring whether we should hold a signing post somewhere, maybe in Times Square or something?” he answered, smiling handsomely, his pearly teeth flashing underneath his mass of hair and coloured tattoos.
“..Well we look forward to seeing you’s guys live, tonight!” the reported turned away, to the camera again “.. That’s Escape the Fate my friends, don’t forget to get your hands on their new album ‘Dying is your Latest Fashion’…” he flashed a little square CD case across the screen.
“….heh…” I smirked, grabbing the remote, waving it at the screen. The screen turned black, the colours and faces all drained from its lifeless face. I lifted myself from my comfortable position, and moved across the house, towards my room first, then grabbed something to eat before leaving the house altogether.
It was Tuesday morning, all my housemates had left to do their ‘things’. Me? Im a hairdresser, probably not the best, but… it’s a job, I get paid and that makes me happy. Well usually Tuesdays where the busiest, but… this Tuesday was far from busy. The good thing about this job is that you meet new people, people that you never expect to meet, I met Hayley Williams before she became famous, she was a usual customer, I don’t see her so much anymore.
I don’t think there is such things as coincidences, I believe that everything happens for a reason. Im probably wrong, but I have every reason to believe what I believe. He had nice hair, whoever bleached his hair, did a fucking good job, he wore what looked like a scarf which separated the top part of his hair from the bottom, giving him the 80’s look. His hair was about shoulder length, straight, and bleached. I would LOVE to have hair like his. He was dark skinned, slim, and somewhat tall, he looked even better in the tight black pants with the studded belt.
“Hey… hoping I could have… a trim?” he winked, resting on the bench in front of me. I just wanted to stroke his hair.
“…uh…s-s-sure…w-w-when f-for?” I must have looked like an idiot, I was staring…. And stuttering, weird much?
“Sometime soon.. maybe?” I glanced down into the book in front of me, flipping it open as quick as possible, turning to the right page and running my finger down the page.
“Right now?... yeah, we can do that, just sit over there….” I pointed to a vacant seat in front of the mirror at the far end of the room “….And I will be with you shortly..” I brightly smiled. He moved over to the seat, cautiously sat down, and checked himself out in the mirror, like an over-obsessed female, I couldn’t help myself I just had to laugh. I brought over the tray of utensils, inspecting his hair, I glanced in the mirror at him. I moved behind him, grabbed two strands of hair at the front on either side of his head and pulled them down lightly.
“…What would you like done?.” I asked politely, my hands shaking uncontrollably. “Just a trim, thanks…” he smiled again, he should smile more often, his smile could make a woman melt from the inside out.
“You aren’t a local, you just moved here? Or just visiting?” I asked, making conversation.
“Nah, just visiting, I like what Im seeing, how long have you lived here?” he asked, watching my moves “you can take that out...” he gestured to the dark blue band/scarf in his hair.
“..oh okay,..” I answered “ I haven’t lived here for too long, I’ve only recently moved here.” I pushed the comb through his light hair.
“May I ask, how did you get your hair like this?”
“A bloody good hairdresser, I saw you eyeing it before, you like?” he cocked an eyebrow, smirking to himself.
“Some women would die to have hair like yours…” I beamed, boosting his esteem. Were we flirting?
“Oh, I don’t think I got your name, I mean, your cutting my hair, I have to know your name…”
“Loreli..”
“That’s a really pretty name.” he brushed some fallen hair off his chest.
“..and yours?..” I inquired
“..Bryan..Bryan Money.”