Hate That I Love You

The Band Member

“…It’s a very usual name.” he spoke with a smile. I began to cut his hair, the scissors cut like a knife through butter. For the remainder of the few minutes he sat there, patiently, he never spoke. Every time I glanced into the mirror at him, he would be bearing a smile, as if to say ‘you know me’, whatever he was trying to say, it was very suspicious.
“Can I have a piece of paper, and a pen, please?” His question struck me as odd. I could understand if he wanted a magazine to read, but a pen and paper? I stared at him. “…oh… sure…” I put down the scissors and went to fetch him some paper and a pen.
“Here…” “Thanks.” He politely took the contents from my hand. And rested them in his lap, I watch absorbedly before continuing to cut his hair. Once I had finished I brushed away the fallen hair I had cut off from his shoulders and peeling the cover-coat off him. “How is that?” I asked, brushing my fingers through his feather-light hair. He glared at it for a while and a warm smile spread right across his delicate tanned face. “It seems that I have to come here more often.” He beamed. He rose from his seat and waltzed to the counter while I hurriedly rushed around, briefly cleaning up his hair, or attempted to.
“How much?”
I rushed over to the counter “ A trim?... $8.50, thanks.”
He handed over the money, flashing me a warm smile, and turned away, leaving me at the counter alone. As he walked away, he glanced through the glass at me, winking, before disappearing out of sight.

Between me handing him the paper and him leaving I had lost track of that little piece of paper, I didn’t worry to much about it, he may have put it in his pocket, I wonder what he wanted it for? I glanced back to the bay I had cut his hair in, it wasn’t messy, but it looked like it needed a good clean. My eyes averted to the pearly-cream bench top in front of the mirror where I found the little piece of paper I had been pondering about. The paper was neatly folded, the pen was laying comfortably next to it. I looked around, looking for anyone who would happily watch me suspiciously open a piece of paper, with no one in sight I continued my trek to fetch the lonely piece of paper. Once there, I placed my hand above the letter, again checking for any audience, I could feel his presence and I got a sudden chill, more of a sensation than anything. I slowly unraveled it and took my time to study it.

You don’t know me do you? Thanks for the Haircut; you’ve done a really good job.
Bryan
P.S Watch T.V tonight

The note was odd.
What was I watching T.V for?
Of course I knew him, his name was Bryan, what more did I need to know. Who was he anyway? The rest of the day was bland, hardly any customers and the day itself was boiling hot. I was happy to arrive home, even happier to find that I was alone. I was still carrying the letter close to me.
What time was I to watch T.V?
I decided to just turn the T.V on and come back to it every so often to check what was on. It was 7pm when I had finally come to rest, and I sat in front of the T.V and splurged off ice-cream. A music show came on, with a female reporter. Most music shows have dark-haired attractive male reporters, but not this one. All across the screen were scrolling headlines, I read the headlines rather than watch the actual report. One headline read

‘Escape the Fate in New York City’

Who were Escape the Fate? Is this what Bryan wanted me to watch?

“Escape the Fate are touring, and he had the lucky chance to sit down with them and discuss life on tour”
The T.V flashed an unfamiliar setting with five masculine bodies sitting around a cream table. The reporter sat next to one of the dark-haired, tattooed males. His hair was all over the place, styled that way? Maybe? The reporter said a little more into the microphone before passing it to the male she was sitting next to.
“Hi, I’m Ronnie and I sing in Escape the Fate…” Once he had finished speaking into the little black microphone, he passed it along to another attractive dark-haired male, with lesser tats than him.
“I’m Max, I play bass.” Like the other male, he passed the microphone along the line.
“Hey! I’m Robert and I play drums in Escape the Fate.” He proudly spoke.
“I’m Bryan and I-”

Wait……..what?

It was him! He was unmistakable, his lovely blonde hair made him stand out from the other members in the band.

He never said anything about being in a band, but then again, I never asked. Maybe this is what he wanted me to watch, I suspected so.
“I’m Omar, and I also play guitar.” My heart beat so fast it felt as though it had a mind of its own and was going to leap out of my chest and onto the little glass table in front of me.

He was in a band!
I met him!
….and I cut his hair!