Hate That I Love You

Awakening to Tradegy

“Max? Where are you going?” Omar lazily lifted his head from the back of Max’s seat, watching Max though sleep-glazed eyes. Max turned around and glared at Omar, who placed his head back down once he realised that he really wasn’t going to get an answer from Max.
Max turned back on his heels and made way for Alex’s Room, feeling that she was left out, and had no current knowledge of Mike’s condition, Max felt that he was the one to break tell her news. His feet shuffled along the bright lino, screeching as he walked along. He glanced into other rooms through the windows as we walked past, feeling empathic and sad, for each room had someone worse off than he was. He stopped outside a little room, coloured brightly with streamers and pink blow-up ponies hanging from the roof. He looked around, tilting his head to the side to try and interpret who was in the room. He moved closer to the entrance of the room, and laid his eyes on a small lifeless form that lay stiff in the bed. The machines attached to the body beeped loudly, filling the room with sound, for the figure couldn’t make any sound. The little girl’s chest rose and fell, signalling that she was alive. Max’s heart dropped into his stomach as he realised what the girl was there for. He looked around, for anyone who would find him suspicious, and leant in closer to read from the distance, and to make sure what he read was right. The little girl was missing both her legs and an arm, the crib that surrounded her didn’t hide her from passer-bys. Her face was contorted into a small smile, her nose was burnt off, and her eyes were sealed closed with some form of glue. Max’s heart fizzed in his stomach, and bile threatened to come up.

“…Her mother abused her…”

Max jumped, he didn’t expect anyone to walk up behind him. The small nurse passed Max and continued into the room, settling the girl into the bed to suit her comfort. Max’s mouth gapped open, and the bile settled.

How could anyone do that to their own kid?

The nurse noticed Max staring, wanting to ask questions.

“Her mother did this for drugs… the sympathetic people give them money to help them with their child… they purposely do this… sad isn’t it?” The nurse shook her head, and passed Max again, and left the room.

Max moved along, tears threatening to stream down his face. He continued up the hall, and towards room 148, Alex’s new accommodation. He pushed on the door and let himself in.

Alex shot up in bed, glancing over at the dark-haired visitor. After realising who is was, she smiled.

“Max? Whereiseverybody? HowisMike?...” She spoke quickly, her mouth didn’t stop, not even to take a breath. Max glanced down at her hands, which were clasped together so hard that she was cutting off the circulation to her fingers, they turned a pale white.

“Alex? Settle, everyone is alright…well…” Max shrugged, pulling over a seat for himself, and sitting next to Alex’s bed.

“How is Mike?”

Cuts and Bruises littered Alex’s face, and her lip showed evidence that something had torn her lip straight up to her nose. She visualised Max staring and turned away.

“….The engine to the car came through to us…” she quietly spoke, rubbing her upper lip, where is has torn

“And it tore your lip?” Max lifted an eyebrow, patting her leg as he realised she wanted to cry. “Its alright…” he cooed.

“No its not… Mike isn’t alright is he?” She sobbed, trying to keep back the tears.

“He… could be better.”

“Max? How is he? Really?”

“….. Not so good.” Max admitted, shrugging.

“Does he look alright?”

“A little skinny, but that all… I’m not sure though…” Max stopped, Alex had burst into tears, and it made Max feel bad, for it was him that was telling her all this, he wouldn’t feel so bad if it wasn’t him in this situation. He arose from his seat and cuddled Alex, trying to make her feel better.

“Shhh..” he hushed, making a rocking motion as she cried onto his chest.

“Mike…… i…. love…” she sobbed, not making any sense, and spinning Max into a bigger web of confusion.

“Alex… Shh… he will be fine..” Max cooed, staring out that window, while wishing to himself that things will get better, even though he knew they wouldn’t.

“Bryan?” I entered the room, looking around for Bryan, who, I had found, was sitting in the corner, closer to Mike’s bed. His head was buried into his knees and his arms were wrapped around his knees, hiding him from view.

“Bryan?” I asked again, approaching him closer. The machines had changed their beats since I was last in here, meaning Mike was either getting better or worse. I shrugged it off, my main focus right now was Bryan, and getting Bryan to come to terms with the world, because right now, I’m not sure if Bryan even knew what hour of the day it was.

“Bryan?” I crouched own next to him, rubbing his back tenderly.

“Rory?” he asked, reaching out to me and grasping my upper arm. I moved closer to him, allowing myself to hear him whisper.

“Yes?”

“…I Love you…”

My heart melted, through all this, Bryan remembered that I was here, and all my worries had died away, and all I could think about was me and Bryan at the end of all this.

“I Love you too…” I replied, butterflies forming in my stomach. “Bryan? Please get up off the ground and come for a walk, Ronnie and Nikki want some time with Mike…”

Bryan nodded, and began his process of getting off the ground, with my help of course. I lead him out of the room and past the waiting room, Where Omar was asleep and Ronnie & Nikki were watching us through hazy eyes. I looked over at them, and nodded, signalling them that it was okay for them to see Mike.

“Will Mike survive?” Bryan whispered in my ear as we walked out of the hospital.

“Of Course he will…”

“Come on…” Nikki hushed Ronnie into the room, silently walking up to the bed, and glaring at Mike’s lifeless form.

“Its Mike?” she questioned, looking at Ronnie stupidly.

“Yes, it’s a sleeping Mike?” he smiled, trying to make a funny joke out of the situation. Nikki just shook her head and turned away.

Nikki’s eyes were laid firmly on the machine next to the bed that was following Mike’s heart beats.

“That’s Funny…” she murmured, not taking her eyes off the machine

“What is?”

“According to that Machine… Mike should be awake…”

She turned to look at Mike, and her words got stuck in her Mouth. She froze on the spot. Ronnie was still looking at the machine.

“Ronnie..look…” she stuttered, grasping on Ronnie’s shirt, and tugging on it.

“What is….. Oh?” he stopped.

“Bryan….?” Chocked Mike, his eyes slightly opening.