Smoke and Mirrors

A Wreck on Shore Is A Beacon At Sea

The next day, Clarissa sat with Jayce watching a movie. The movie wasn't very interesting, but he seemed to be enjoying it greatly.
Her phone rang. What was up with everyone? They were obsessed with calling her.
“WHAT?”
“Hi, honey. I just got the news that Bryce is coming to visit.”
“O-kay.” Why would she care? She didn't even know the guy.
“You should go pick him up; I have a reunion.”
How did she see this coming?
“Fine. Anymore plans to kill?”
“Goodbye.”
Clarissa didn't answer him, and hung up. Now she had to cancel plans with Grey. He would hate her. She dialed his number.
“Grey?”
“Do you have to cancel?”
It wasn't the first time her father had ruined her plans.
“Yeah, sorry. But could you take me to the airport? I know I'm selfish and stupid and-”
“Hey!It's okay, I'll take you.”
“I owe you big time.”
-----
Clarissa sat in a plastic chair with Grey beside her. The constant voice heard over the speakers became part of the monotonous drone. Airplanes are places of high emotion, but two totally opposite of each other. People went around practically skipping with their newcomer, and some crying their hearts out watching family leave.
She sighed and looked at the time. How much longer? Clarissa uselessly looked around. After all, she didn't know what he looked like.
“Excuse me, are you Clarissa Hawkins?”
She looked up, and found a guy about her age looking down at her. His hair was jet black, in contrast with his icy blue eyes. One look into them was enough to take anyone's breath away,
“Yeah. Bryce?”
He nodded and set down his luggage.
“This is Grey.”
They exchanged greetings, and all stood up.
“Did you come from too far away?”
“No, I live in a small town not too far off.”
“And exactly why did you come?”
She couldn't remove the harshness from her voice. Nonetheless, he just laughed.
“Well, to meet you. It was an honor for you to mention me as a benefactor.”
“And how exactly are we related?”
“I'm not sure we're related at all, but we call each other cousins. Your dad doesn't really have anything to do with us. I think our ancestors were close friends, or something, and chose the same last name.”
“Okay.”
They walked over to the car. Grey opened the car door for her, and she scooted in.
“You know, you two make a great couple.”
Clarissa flushed red, and she thought she spotted some pink in his cheeks.
“No, we're not-”
She couldn't get the words out, just merely stutter.
“We're not together.”
The wicked words finally emerged from her lips.
“Oh, sorry.”
Clarissa looked at his sorry expression, and felt sympathy for him. How couldn't she? He was gorgeous, anyone could see that.
The car ride was silent. Everyone recalled the incident at the beginning in their mind.
When they pulled up in Clarissa's driveway, they practically jumped out of the car.
Clarissa went inside to show Bryce his room. He seemed amazed with the luxury of everything. Grey had stayed fixing the car;it seemed to be letting out a bit of smoke. As soon as he left his things in the room, he rushed down to help Grey. It took them a few moments before they had it up and running.
She had been getting them something to drink, and they sat in the backyard, relaxing.
Her cousin didn't seem a bad guy, after all. Grey and he seemed to get along splendidly.
There was the ring of the doorbell, and Clarissa went to answer. From behind the house, Grey heard it was Jayce. He explained his relation to Clarissa, just in case another one of his thoughts escaped his lips.
They appeared through the glass door, smiling.
“This is Bryce, my cousin, I guess.”
He joined them, and the atmosphere turned awkward. Grey and Bryce didn't talk, because they didn't want to leave out Clarissa and Jayce, and Clarissa and Jayce didn't talk to not leave them out. So they all stayed silent.
“Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to have a look around the city.”
“I should get going too,” said Jayce.
Grey and Clarissa were left alone.
“You want to go to the mall?” Clarissa asked.
“Sure.”
They mounted his car and were off. They talked of Bryce on the way there. Grey seemed to like him, as well as Clarissa. The mall parking lot was packed. They had to go to the underground lot, where there was only one or two cars.
Grey parked in a lonely corner. The car was letting steam again, and Grey went to check it. Clarissa got her things together, and applied an extra layer of lip gloss.
“Clarissa,” he said slowly, in a strange tone.
“What-”
Before she could say anything else, he grabbed her and ran. Grey threw himself over her, while his car burned to flames behind them. In a second, Clarissa's face was covered in tears. Grey tried to soothe her, but she was terrified. Clarissa could hear her heart beating out of control, and Grey seemed bewildered too. Her body was suddenly cold, and she fed off his warmth. He stroked her hair, trying to calm her, but nothing can prepare you for a hit like that.
♠ ♠ ♠
How are you liking it?