Status: A work in progress for years and years and years ... etc

Headfirst for Halos

Old Habits Die Hard

Mel's POV

And it was over. Finished.

Brad had been arrested and was now tucked away in some, hopefully small, dark and dank cell with only 3 walls and some bars for company.

Hospital wasn't too bad. They never gave me anything sharp though. I thought they would be filing corners off of the bed-side table next. They were so over the top.
They gave me many tests. Pregnancy tests, blood tests and tests for sexually transmitted diseases. They all came back clear, thankfully.
My mother had been great. She really helped me. She nursed me when the police asked for my statement for the courts. She consoled me when the flashbacks came. Nursed me through the nightmares that I had suffered from every night in the hospital. Every night for a month. A month. I stayed in that hospital for a whole month.
Amazingly not once did I think about Billie Joe. I never thought about what he had lined up for me, after all, he hadn't had a chance to beat me for a month.

And then I was allowed home. I stayed home from school for another two weeks. Hiding from the people at school. Their eyes. Their gossip. Their thoughts.
I stayed in my room, hiding beneath my mass of blankets while my mother would bring me food and coax me to eat it. And it stayed like that for the whole two weeks.

My first day back to to school was a surprise to say the least.

As my routine previously stated, I got dressed, packed my things for the day, ate breakfast then dashed out to the door and ran to the end of the street and around the corner. Then I waited.

And I did wait. I waited for the sound of the slamming door, but it never came. I waited for the sound of the ascending footsteps, but they never came.

I stayed pressed up against that fence for a good long while. Neither of the two came. Nothing. He wasn't coming.

So I ran to school. Ran through the main gates and ran to my locker, my footsteps echoing in the empty corridor, my heartbeat echoing in my mind. I ran to my first class and went inside.

I was early even though I waited. The class was empty, as expected. My breathing was heavy and my back ached with the weight of my bag. As I neared my desk that was hidden in the corner, I noticed something.

A small white piece of paper, folded and sitting on my desk.