Status: A work in progress for years and years and years ... etc

Headfirst for Halos

Teenage Gossip, As Seen in Highschools

Mel's POV

I moved cautiously towards my desk, setting my bag down at my feet after I sat down. I looked closer.

Mel

It was my name on the front of it. It was for me

Was it a joke? A stupid prank?

I started to unfold the paper, but hurridly put it away when my classmates started to file through the door.
Although i was hidden away in the darkness of my corner, people seemed to notice me. Look at me. Stealing glances as they sat down with their friends, turning to gossip no doubt, then to turn and look at me again.

Did they know? They did, but how?

My heart suddenly took a leap to my throat when Billie Joe waltzed through the door with his friends. I was confused and relieved when he never gave me a death glare. A look to tell me things, to meet him after school. He never even glanced at me. I was at least expecting him to mock me, but he didn't. He never even looked in my general direction. It was as if I wasn't there. Invisible at last, but only to him. Everyone else was now interested in my actions, watching me from the sides of their eyes. I expect he broke up with Maddie. He was now sitting with his friends and she looked as if she was going to deck him any minute now.

I was surprised to say the least.

First Billie Joe didn't show up earlier, then I get that note and now Billie Joe hasn't even acknowledged my presence in the world.

Maybe he had given up? Stopped?

No way. Why would he? He had done eveything possible for the last five years to hurt me, everything getting steadily worse, the verbal bullying turning into regular beatings, physical violence. He did anything possible to fuck me up. He was a weaker version of him. He just worked in a different way.

I sighed as the bell rang signaling for us to go to our first classes. People were still giving me strange looks. I guessed Brad did get arrested during school. Just my luck. Now everyone knew. Knew me. Knew who I was and knew what had happened.

And thats how it continued for the rest of the day. Near enough all of the school sneaking glances at me. Even the teachers. The teachers who could never remember my name. And then there was Billie Joe who was apparently unaware that I was even alive.

I arrived home and immediately rushed upstairs and sank onto my bed. Then I remembered the note. I searched my bag and found it crumpled up between books and some jotters.

Still unsure whether it was a sick joke or not, I cautiously unfolded it and smoothed out the wrinkles.

Dear Mel,
You may be thinking at this moment that this is all a joke, a prank, its not.


How nice of them to get straight to the point.

You may not know my identity, but I do know you. I heard what happened and I'm sorry. Sorry in more ways than you could ever imagine.

I couldn't say this face to face because I know you would shy away, but i had to say it somehow.
I know how you suffered and i know that you don't have many friends, many people to talk to.

If you ever want to talk to anyone, just leave me a note, I will reply.

From Me.


What? Why? Who?

Who?