Status: A work in progress for years and years and years ... etc

Headfirst for Halos

No One Understands

Mel's pov

I shed my clothes and headed for the shower. I turned the water up to its full heat and stood there motionless for an hour solid. The scolding hot water burned, but caused me no pain. I felt numb.

The morning came too soon. Another day of hell. A hell which seemed to worsen as time past by. I left my bed feeling groggy. I looked in the mirror to see a pale face with dark grey bags under dull eyes stare back at me. I looked like shit. Really smelly shit.

I went in for another shower to try and waken myself up. I felt like a walking zombie. I seemed doomed last night to never get a minute of sleep, but around four, my eyes finally gave up their long battle to stay open.

I dressed myself in dark clothes. Funny how people say you dress to suit your mood. I put on a long, black knitted cardigan over a grey t-shirt and black trousers. I grabbed my usual things from my room and headed downstairs.

"Hey hunny! What did you get up to last night? You never came in until late! New friends?" asked my Mother.

"Yeah," i mumbled, "something like that."

I ate my breakfast while dodging my mothers many questions. It was times like these I wished I had some siblings. Someone to shift all the attention onto. Soon enough I was sneaking out of the door and running down the street and around the corner. I slammed myself against a fence. I stood for a moment in silence, listening for Billie Joe and trying to catch my breath. I heard a door slam in the distance. I began to walk quickly down the street, but only to be followed by the same advancing footsteps as the day before. No words were spoken this time. I was shoved to the ground and kicked in the side a few times before he decided to speak.

"You little slut. Jump on the first guy that'll take you. Maybe cause no one wants you. That's because your a whore! A slut!" Billie Joe spoke in an angry whisper.

Whatever got up his ass this morning was still tunneling.

Tears streamed down my cheeks. My sides burned with pain as did my stomach. He had layed in a few punches whilie I was on the ground. But how did he know? His contacts? Was he there the night before? I lay there, waiting to hear him walk away, but instead I felt two strong arms lift me from the ground. I winced at the memories of someone else laying their hands on me.

"Get up you stupid bitch!" his tone was hushed and angry. "Don't want anyone to see you lying on the floor in that state."

He began to lift me to a standing position, only for me to fall from his grasp. I whimpered in fear. I cowered away as he started towards me.

"You are one crazy slut, you know that, crazy!"

He pushed me one last time into the ground and walked away. I lay there, not wanting to get up because of the pain that rushed through me and because of the horrors that lay in wait for me when I would eventually enter the school. I turned onto my stomach and crawled to my bag which had been thrown to the side when I fell to the ground. I slowly raised to my feet and began limping my wait to the school grounds. At this moment, I was not sure what was worse, Billie or Brad.

I reached my class a few minutes after the bell had rung. I entered with my head down, avoiding looks from a few of the class members. Those looks never lasted long though. It was like when someone got on a bus, or came into the cinema as the movie was about to start. Everyone looks at them, but no one is really interested.

I looked to my seat, Brad was already there, his little helpless face put on ever so well. How I knew different, how I knew about the monster that lay in the shadows of his mind, I had experienced it first hand. My gaze fell on Billie Joe as I passed his seat. His eyes threatened me silently and a small smile of triumph appeared on his lips. He had me under his control. He could do anything and I wouldn't, couldn't say a word. I shuffled towards the back corner. Towards my seat. Towards Brad.

He smiled at me, his eyes icy blue once again. He patted the seat next to him and when I sat down he flopped his arm around my shoulders. I was going to shrug him off, but when I saw his eyes flash black again, I thought the better of it.

'Maybe he'll get bored after a while,' I thought to myself.

No such luck.