The Hardest Part of Today is a Hangover.

The Clocks Are Set By Feel.

I woke up feeling like I had pissed myself. I rubbed my eyes and propped myself up on my pillows, looking at my analog clock next to the bed; 06:21 AM.

“You have got to be kidding me,” I mumbled, dragging myself out of bed. I scratched at my ass and my head at the same time, yawning and looking back at the bed. I had pissed myself- “Holy shit! Oli, Oli, Oli! Oliver! Wake up!” I shouted, slapping at the bed in terror. “Oliver, you fuck! Wake up!”

What?” He groaned and rolled over, re-situating himself. “I’m tired, love; gimme’ another hour.”

“No! Oliver, the baby!” I shouted, pulling on some sweatpants and searching for a shirt. I hadn’t been able to sleep in clothes since I got so big; my shirt would always strangle me like a noose.

Oli yawned and rubbed at his eyes, somehow squeezing out, “the what?”

I sighed. “Oli, my water just broke. He’s coming.

His eyes shot open and he rolled off the bed, nearly missing the bedside table, and quickly stood up before I could even fathom hearing his body hit the floor. He dashed around the room, throwing on some basketball shorts and a v-neck shirt, pulling on some shoes, and grabbed my hand, squeezing it before he lead me out of the room. I had the overnight bag in my hand and I was squeezing it for dear life.

[-March 21st; 9:06 AM-]

I had my feet up in the stirrups, my entire family in the waiting room, and Oli at my side. Sweat was streaming down my face, but all I could think of was seeing a tiny little Oliver. I knew he was going to look like his father – Oli has such strong features, there was no doubt about it.

The man delivering my baby was named Dr. Mustafa. It soothed me incredibly; my favorite movie was always Lion King when I was a kid. The fact that he was a nice, well-known doctor for delivering healthy babies was another soothing part of this moment. I trusted him with my little boy’s life in his hands.

“Okay, Annabelle, I’m going to need you to give a big push, okay? Reach your chin to your chest and hold it. Ready…Go!” He had his hands between my legs like he was waiting to catch a football. It was slightly awkward, but I tried to look through the awkwardness and pushed.

“You got it, baby. I love you,” Oli whispered in my ear, sealing it with a kiss.

I could feel the pressure building up. I knew Connor was right there, but I couldn’t push anymore. I fell back again the bed and sighed.

Dr. Mustafa gave me a large, white-toothed grin. “He’s crowning, Annabelle, so one more good push and he’s out!”

I knew exactly what was happening. I could feel every single bit of it, thanks to the natural delivery plan I had chosen months ago. Boy, was I regretting that now.

“1…2…3…Push!” he ordered, and I did just that.

Then the cries broke the silence and I screamed in frustration, my chin digging into my chest with the force I didn’t know I had. I could hear him, but I could still feel him. I was so close; Connor was so close.

“I can see his face, Anna! I can see it!” Oli screamed happily, grinning from ear to ear.

Just a little more, Anna, you can do it!

I took a deep breath and force it, and he was out.

“Connor Anthony Sykes; 7 pounds, 4 ounces; born March 21st at 9:12 AM,” Dr. Mustafa announced, showing me my baby proudly. A full head of black hair and the whitest, purest skin I’ve ever seen. Big, chocolate brown eyes – he was ours.

Oli kissed my forehead as they cleaned Connor up. “I love you more than anything, Annabelle.”
♠ ♠ ♠
mreh.