Mayberry Academy

Chapter Eight - Breakthrough

Kailey’s POV

I took about twenty minutes in the shower and I could see the steam on the mirror when I came out. I got dressed in a pair of white shorts and a light pink t-shirt and towel dried my hair until it wasn’t dripping anymore, just damp. Then I walked back into the room only to find Jason laying on his side on his bed. He looked up as I walked in.

“Hi,” I said as I slowly shut the bathroom door behind me. I leaned against it. Jason sat up as I did this.

“Hi,” he said. “Uh, well, I thought maybe we could, y’know, talk?” He said, making it into a question. I nodded. He was wearing a blue polo and shorts.

“Look, I know we haven’t gotten off to a good start but since we’re stuck with each other for the next semester, I think we should find some common ground,” he said.

“I think so too,” I said, kind of low. I tried to avoid looking him in his eyes as he looked at me. I felt my heart rate speed up and I didn’t know why. He sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

“Can we start over then? And possibly be friends?” he said. Now I looked up at him.

“I thought you didn’t want to be friends?” I said. He shrugged.

“I didn’t, but I don’t want to come off as the bad guy. I’m not that bad y’know?” He said and flashed me the first grin I saw him give all day. I smiled back. “Besides, if I’m stuck rooming with you, we might as well start somewhere.” I laughed.

“Well okay then.” Then I yawned. This time he laughed.

“So where are you from anyways?” he asked.

“Pittsburgh.”

“That had to be a long flight then,” he said, “Steeler’s fan? Crosby fan?” he laughed.

I laughed too. “Actually I am a Crosby fan,” I said smiling. “Most of my family are Steeler’s fans, but I never really got into watching it.”

“My family is kind of big on sports. We always watched them. Still do, but not as much. I stopped getting into them a few years back though.” he said.

“What happened?” I asked, trying to hold back another yawn. He just shook his head.

“You look exhausted. How about we talk tomorrow?” he said. I just nodded, my head feeling heavy. I think I said “Okay” but I can’t remember. As he left the room I laid down on my bed and fell asleep. I was happy that we worked something out. I just realized that I forgot to call Jarrod, and I forgot to text my friends back. I’ll make it up to them tomorrow, I thought to myself as I drifted off to sleep.

Jason’s POV

I closed the door behind me and left the dorm. Kailey and I were able to talk about things and they seemed normal. I smiled. She was relatively easy to talk to. I just needed to learn to control my temper. Id managed to do that during the past fifteen minutes, and I hoped I’d be able to last longer than that. I don’t know why I was making such a big deal, and I decided that there really wasn’t a bad reason for why I shouldn’t at least get to know her.

I headed towards the REC dorm and texted Lance, telling him I’d be there in a few minutes. He replied with “about time!”. I asked him where he was and he said the theatre.

I was on my way there when Melanie stepped in front of me.

“Jason! Finally we get to be alone!” she said. I rolled my eyes and grinded my teeth. I really didn’t want to be around her of all people. “It was suuuch a long summer without you! I missed you,” she said and then wrapped her arms around me. I pushed her away.

“What are you doing? You broke up with me remember?!” I yelled at her. Not that it mattered cause I wouldn’t go back out with her even if she begged.

“But I made a mistake. We all do. Breaking up with you was one of the biggest mistakes I made!” she said, still trying to get close to me again.
“I don’t want to go out with you. So there, its decided,” I said, and I attempted to walk away. But of course, she wouldn’t be satisfied with that. She blocked my path.

“Just give me one more shot,” she pleaded. At the moment she looked sincere and she looked like the girl I had been starting to fall in love with. Starting to, but she changed. And then she broke up with me. “Please, Jason.” she said, whispering it. “I really miss you, I want you back.” She looked so innocent and vulnerable, I sighed. “Come with me tonight, lets spend the rest of the night together. Just you and me, like old times,” she said.

“Okay Mel,” I said. “Just tonight. That’s it.” She had looked like she was going to cry and now she half-smiled.

“You won’t regret it,” she said.

And she put her arm through mine and we walked past the theatre. I texted Lance to tell him I changed my mind. I didn’t know what Mel had in mind, but she wanted us to be alone. Sighing, I asked myself why I let Mel take control. I didn’t have an answer for that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey people =]
chapter eight already! sorry i havent been updating as often...writers block =S
plz let me know what u think
i wont post next chapter until i get at least one comment!
let me know who's ur favorite character! nething! =]
Thanks to everyone who has subscribed and commented!
love you all!