White Wedding

Chapter 3: Sunset Dance

Fidget. Scratch. Cross Legs. Flip Hair. Uncross legs. Scrunch toes.

Weddings are not the best occasions for entertaining angsty teenagers who care more about their chipped finger nail polish and the incredibly good looking profile of a certain someone next to them, than some silly vows about forever and ever- blah, blah, blah. Obviously, as you may have guessed (if you are a quick one), I was bored, extremely bored. This was ridiculous, the wind was attacking my teased hair, and I felt as if I was suffering from atrophy of sanity. I vainly wished for the bride to have a seizure, then at least I'd have something to concentrate on.

Bite nail. Blow on bangs. Tap foot.

I was suddenly elbowed in the side by the Harry Potter poser- as if I was the one being rude- and he proceeded to give me a look of death. Seriously? What had I done to him? It's not like I rooted for Voldemort or anything, this guy needs to get a grip. To return his act of courtesy, I politely stamped my heel into the toe of his shoe. Wincing in pain, he inched away from me as I giggled under my breath, it was a rush of pleasure to have revenge on the pathetically annoying. I was then caught unawares by a hideously disgusting squishy noise, until I realized it was the bride and groom's first kiss as a married couple -like they hadn't kissed a million times before that, but of course, this was "special"- and the audience clapped, apparently they were happy it was over as well.

I managed to escape the thunderous stampede of badly dressed individuals to the bride and groom's side to offer their fakely stated congratulations, and scooted over to the punch (if I was lucky it would be drugged and I could skip this whole ordeal). After downing a couple of glasses- with no buzz, high, or "happy" effect- I discovered, with a little disappointment, that the punch was entirely drug-free. Drat.

In search of some sort of distractor from the tremendous agony of boredom I was currently suffering from, I began to stroll about the gardens. I suppose that this setting for the wedding was an attempt at romance and all that great stuff, but getting attacked by a bumblebee the size of a golf ball while trying to sniff a pleasant little rose was not my idea of romantic. I sighed,

"When will the average everyday person realize that there is no such thing as romance? There is only a physical attraction which may or may not be strong enough to induce psychosomatic symptoms to create the idea of love." I recited my theory to myself while standing on a small bridge that crossed a trickling stream between the rosebushes. There was a rustling behind the bridge, near the Weeping Willow.

"Because there is the possibility that romance and true love do exist, yet the bitterness of skeptics and the pettiness of average people deny it the glory of it's truest form." the rebuttle came from a smooth male voice in the midst of the willow. I whisked around to meet the one who had attempted to dismantle my theory. There was not a soul in sight.

"Excuse me?" I said rather arrogantly. The gorgeous usher from the ceremony stepped out from behind the willow branches.

"You are excused, miss. But do you honestly think it wise to speak about love so carelessly? Or even so, spitefully. I would watch what I say if I were you." he said cooly as he plucked a blossom off of one of the trees. He looked at the blossom, and walked onto the bridge so he was next to me. All the time, he did not look at me, but rather at the flower with a knowing smirk playing on his lips. My jaw dropped. No one had the courage to debate my propositions, not even my parents. Who did this ridiculously gorgeous boy think he was? However, if he thought he could render me speechless, he was very sadly mistaken.

"Perhaps you should excuse yourself. Forgive me, but your argument seems beyond your years. You do not seem old enough to know love in its 'truest form', as you call it" I answered coldly.

"Nor do you. You cannot shun love if you do not know it", he looked off at the sunset and licked his lips calmly.

"But you cannot know it to be real if you have not known it either!" I cried passionately. I was not one to take this subject, or any debate really, lightly. For the first time since before the wedding, he looked me straight in the eyes. Oh Lord.

"Why not? We believe in things we don't know to be real all the time. It's a part of being human." he countered smoothly. I raised an eyebrow critically.

"Example?"

"God." I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "I take it you are not a believer."

"I'm skeptical." I replied, looking off at the sunset. He took his eyes off me to glance at the sun setting as well.

"Imagine that." I almost argued back, but it seemed useless. He was as stubborn as me, and I was thoroughly enjoying watching the sunset. "Would you care to dance?" he said, out of nowhere, still not looking at me. I turned to him.

"At the risk of sounding cliche, there isn't any music." I pointed out. He scoffed in imitation of me.

"I'm skeptical of music." he mocked with a smirk, and offered his hand. I made a face, but accepted.

He pulled me in close and I could practically inhale the scent of his cologne. He was about four inches taller than me, but managed to look me right in the eyes as we danced. He parted his lips slightly, as if to say something, but took in a deep breath instead and turned his face back to the setting sun. I looked, self-consciously, at my feet, praying I wouldn't step on him and look like an idiot. Worries flooded my mind, but all of the sudden, he began to hum, and then sing.

"We made plans to be unbreakable,
Love was all we knew.
No insurance for the unthinkable,
Blindly get us through.

Mistakes we knew we were making."

He stepped out and spun me gracefully. He could dance too? Really? Could he fly too?! Good Lord! Again he closed the space between us, but this time he whispered in my ear, tickling me with his breath.

"Have you always been this way?" he asked in a throaty whisper.

"What way?" I asked, attempting to whisper as well.

"So critical. And shrew-like. Or is that a new development?" he replied, I could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

"Excuse you! Do not accuse me off being a shrew when you aren't exactly Prince Charming yourself!" I whisper shouted at him. He chuckled under his breath.

"Don't take it as an insult. But one doesn't come across many girls that aren't hopeless romantics." he interjected.

"Maybe I'm not like other girls" I stated coldly.

"Obviously.", but before I could make a counter argument he turned so we were face to face, noses so close they were nearly touching. I looked into his beautiful green eyes and tried to remember why I disliked him. "Close your eyes" he said. For some strange reason, I did. Of all the times to follow orders in my life...

I felt his warm breath against my face, and I reveled in the scent of his cologne once more. After about ten seconds, I opened my eyes...

And he was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know if you like it ;)