*** at Band Camp

Chapter One Continued

We get to the camp, and start to unpack the truck. We form two lines facing each other, and do that old pass it from hand to hand thing. Again, I'm stuck by Julie, why do they keep putting me by her? I'm not trying to be all paranoid, but I really don't have a fond mind for her. I think she is the reason that Kris went missing. Kris was one of my closest friends in band, and thats that. Why would anyone want to hurt Kris?

When we get all the stuff into the lobby, they tell us that we have to find out what rooms we have, and go set our stuff in our bunks, choose our beds and then meet back in the lobby later that afternoon. They told us that we had 30 minutes to get our stuff and not to worry about unpacking it. We were told to make our beds only if we thought we had time, which they thought we did.Most of the girls in my room had enough time, me well, I procrastinated a little, and my bed wasn't fully made by the time we had to leave. Well, it appears that once again, I'm stuck with Julie. She chooses the only bottom bunk open, leaving the one right above her open for me to sleep in. I'm not too happy with the fact that I have to share a room with her, let alone that I have to sleep above her. What did she have planned for me?

She lounges out on her bed, and opens up her book, she must have taken the cover off of it, and colored out the name on the spine of the book because I couldn't see the title of it, or who it was written by. She looked at the pages, not reading, just staring. I look at her, "Whatcha readin'?" I ask, in a playful tone. She glares at me, "Not reading, skimming, and I don't think that's any of your business." Whoa! What got her panties in a wad...Probably the same thing that got me stuck up a tree. I don't like her, and apparently she doesn't like me either. Well, at least we're on the same page.

As she lays there, staring at the page, not turning it, not even trying to act as though she's reading, I start to really look at her and how she behaves around people. Well, not to say that I do this on purpose, it's just a habit. I don't do it just to judge people, I'm not that kind of person. I don't just judge people, I have to really get a look at them to understand where they come from most of the time. Well Julie is not at all the way I thought she was. She wears all black, If band didn't have a rule that nobody could wear fingernail polish, hers would be black. She reads a lot and keeps to herself.

Although she keeps to herself and dresses how she wants, and reads whatever it is that she's reading, in her eyes you can tell that she's just pulling off an act. She prob ably wants everyone to be all big and bad. Well, its 25 minutes after we get into the rooms we're going to be in for the rest of the week and we head out to the field. There we meet up with our sections, and this is the first time since we left the mall I am not stuck with Julie. Although not with Julie, Kris is nowhere to be seen. Our section leader had a look of worry on our face as she handed out our Drill Sheets. She had one left. Kris's. Where was Kris? She gives Kris's drill sheet to the band director's son. Why was he here?

We go over the drill sheets and learn how to read them, for the freshman of course, and the upperclassmen who forgot. Well, we go over the first few drills and take a break, and when others were heading out to the pool, Julie was stuck with her nose in her book, just staring at the page like this morning at the mall, and earlier. Me on the other hand, I sat by the pool and thought about what had happened to Kris.

What had happened to her? Who had taken her? Where was she? And most of all, why didn't anyone seem to care that she was missing?