One Lucky Ski Trip

"By the way, my name is Ned."

"So what are you guys doing today?" David asked us all, curiously.

"Kali wants to go snowboarding, Isabel wants to go sledding, and I don't know how to snowboard or ski, so I either want to build a snow fort and maybe have a snowball fight or go sledding." Catherine told him, obviously sure of what she wanted.
"We have a big of a dilemma." She added.

"Darn." I said. "Nobody wants to go snowboarding with me."
I pretended to cry, trying to make them feel bad. "I guess I'll just have to go alone.." I told them and then let out a giggle.

They all stared at me with blank faces.
"I'm just kidding, guys. No big deal."

"Okay." Isabel began, "How about Catherine, David and I go sledding for a couple of hours and then we'll all meet up at the condo, have some hot cocoa, and then go have a snowball fight. Yeah?" She asked.

"Sounds good!" I agreed.
"Are you guys okay with that?" I asked Catherine and David.

"Yep, definitely," Catherine replied. "Except I kind of wanted to hang out with just David for a while so how about you ladies have a snowball fight without us..."

"Aww," Isabel started, ".. but it's no fun with just 2 people!" she exclaimed.
She was totally right. Snowball fights require at least 4 people. The more the merrier!

"All the more reason to find some cute boys!" Catherine shot back at us.

In all honestness, this was the perfect reason to find some cute boys. Extra spicy, anyone?

I laughed and cheered, "Works for me!"

"Alright, me too," Isabel agreed.

***

As Isabel, Catherine, and David headed off to go sledding, Kali grabbed her snowboard and headed to the rental shop because she was lacking boots. She had outgrown her own from the previous snow season.

I walked into the store, hearing the bell chime behind me.

"Hello!" I greeted the boys at the counter.
"Can I please rent some boots?" I asked them, sweetly.

As the guy working the register turns around from his previous position of talking to his friend, a shocked look spread upon his face.

I wasn't sure what that meant, so I immediately grew uncomfortable because of the way he was looking at me.

"Um.. what?" I asked him, curiously. "Is there something on my face?" I said nervously and started to turn around in embarrassment.

"No!" The guy at the counter shouted before I could walk away.
He continued, "No... I'm sorry. You're just really pretty. It's nice to see a girl in here. We don't get female snowboarders too often.

"Oh." I replied, as I loosened up a little because of his nice compliment. "So.. size 7 please?" I asked, not making any reference to his comment.

"Sure, no problem." He tells me as he walks into the back area.

He returns about 2 minutes later and hands me a pair of boots, size 7.
"Here you go." He says.

"Thanks." I say, and finish filling out paperwork they provided, so that they knew I would return the boots.
"See ya." I say.

"Wait!" He called, stopping me once again from exiting the shop.

I turn around and raise my eyebrows as if to say, "What?"

"What's your name?" He inquired.

"It's Kali." I tell him.

"Wow, that's very original. I love it!" He compliments me.

A giggle escapes me and I thank him.
"See ya around." I said and flashed him an award-winning smile.

"Most definitely." He replies in a flirty tone, and in return, smiles back one amazingly gorgeous smile.
"By the way, my name is Ned."

"Bye Ned." I say and walk out the door.

***

Hmm, somehow that name just doesn't fit his hotness. Haha, but it's just a name, right? And no offense to any amazing looking guys named Ned. Or any guys named Ned for that matter.
But the guy at the rental shop... he was so cute.

I wasn't so fond of his hair though-it was straightened and under a beanie, so I couldn't really see his eyes too well, but he had the cutest grin and a perfect freckle on his right cheek.

***

I made my way to the ski lifts and slipped all of my gear in, ready to head up the mountain and clear my head.
Snowboarding has always helped with that.
The view. The powder beneath me.
Just the feeling- the way the snow carves into the shape of an "S" when I glide down the hill. It's almost magical.

***

Back to other things, Catherine, David, and Isabel had arrived at the sledding hill.
Catherine poked David playfully in his stomach and dashed away from him.

"Haha!" She yells back at him, still running and sticking her tongue out at him.

"Hey!" David exclaims and starts chasing her.

She taunts him, "Can't catch me!"

"Wanna bet?" He challenged and picked up his speed.
Catherine shrieked at the sight of David gaining on her.
David finally caught up to her and gently tackled her onto the snow.
They start laughing together, and a moment comes where they look into each other's eyes and start kissing passionately.

To many, that would seem cute.
But Isabel was utterly disgusted. She knew this would happen.

"Oh my god!" She says, displaying her irritation.
"Did you guys forget I'm standing RIGHT HERE?!" She asks angrily.

The couple continued to kiss and giggled a little.
Catherine finally pulls away in order to get a breath in.

"Babe, guess what?" Catherine asks David, innocently.

"What?" He wonders.

***
Back to Kali now.
Kali's POV:

Gahh. I can't believe I have to go by myself. Oh well. I guess I won't have any distractions. Well, besides this guy sitting next to me- he stinks!! I wish they had single person ski lifts. How convenient would that be? Maybe I'll invent that someday. Haha. Man, I just hope this guy doesn't run into me when we get off... Hmm... That guy at the rental shop- what was his name? Oh yeah. Ned. Anyways, he was really cute. Maybe I'll see him again when I return my stuff... I kind of hope so!
At this thought I smiled to myself.

***

"Here we go! Good luck!" I encouraged the guy sitting next to me.

"Pshh. I don't need luck!" He replies, arrogantly.

"Umm.. okay then." I reply, quietly.

The end of the ride approached and Kali glided perfectly down the departure slope. The guy that was sitting next to her on the lift gets caught on something in the snow and falls backwards onto his butt.
He looks back at Kali and shoots her a mean glare as if it were her fault he fell. She just smiled, not wanting conflict.
She could have just as easily said, "Sure you don't."