Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 1: Fond Farewells

Chapter 1: Fond Farewells
Abnormal, a pariah, freak, Goth weirdo, and all the other words that are used to describe me. I think I've gotten used to them by now, or maybe their cutting edge was just dulled by a barrier of close friends. Either way I’m just different and people won't let me forget it. If it be my clothing, my hair, make up, my writing, reading, intelligence or even my speaking, all criticized or harassed. Why couldn’t people understand that discrimination was wrong, that some people need to be different; to stand against the status quo? I don't think moving will help, only make things worse. God, will you ever do anything to redeem your image?
A pariah, well I guess that's just me.
..................................................
"Don't go please, Fred!" cried out Hannah a friend of mine for over 5 yrs. she hated dreadfully that I would have to go, to leave her. Who would come down now to her farm and ride horses with her? No one else that she knew was equestrian.
"Why can't you stay? Why do you have to move away?!" entered Shelby a friend of mine for equally as long. Her pale face was blotched with red spots as her brown doe eyes overflowed. I wanted to laugh and take a picture; then threaten to show Sean, her crush, but I didn’t feel like laughing and my camera was packed away.
I heard crying. It was my friend Kylee. She always took things hard. Even when fish die but, this was different their was a hard chocking sound in her throat. It sounded so raspy I was afraid her throat was going to bleed.
"We'll all Miss You." said Rachel my new, yet as beloved as others, cool-headed friend whom Kylee was crying upon.
I looked into her normally calm eyes. Instead of a calm forest green they were a sad emerald.
"I will too, but I'll never forget you guys!" said I
"E-mail us" said Shelby
"and write and IM" added the still sniffling kylee.
"Write Winifred" said Rachel
"Please! Don't leave us!" again cried Hannah as she threw herself upon me. And rocked the bed we were all sitting own. The sheets had been stripped off, leaving a stained yellow mattress with squeaky springs behind. It looked ruined, how my life felt now. Why did we have to move, now?! It was my senior year; everything was supposed to be fun! I would go to Prom with all my friends because we never had dates. We would all take easy and fun classes together and get to wander around the now well known school. Every other Friday we would go out to see a movie, no matter how stupid the movie sounded. Sleepovers, concerts, ice cream sundaes… all my well-worked plans fell apart. Why? I asked again Why did those people need my father, isn’t any other doctor just as good?
"I'm sorry" I started “I really have to---
"Winifred!" Shouted my Mom "We really have to get to the airport we will be late!"
"Bye everybody." I said and looked upon all their different diverse faces. I wondered again how we all found each other, all so different yet all excepting. I love them so much. I wonder if I will ever see them again.
"Bye." I whispered
then I walked down the steps and into the car. I took one last final glace at the house. Its faded blue shutters and once white siding. I remembered a time when I was eight that I tried to color the siding black with crayon. The same familiar trees that I’ve climbed and hidden in. The smooth driving car rode down the street with the humming of violins on the radio. We passed the High School that only a few months ago I had been so happy to leave, I wanted to return. I wanted to see the familiar faces of its students and staff. The street signs pasted in a blur and I could hear my mother talking on her cell phone.
“We are only a half hour drive to the air port.” She whispered “Yes, 11:30 flight to Port Angeles stopping in Denver. I’ll call you as soon as we arrive.”
I leaned back in my seat and turned my i-pod as high as it would go, I couldn’t care less if I lost my hearing at that moment. I wanted so badly just to dig my heals in like a five year old and refuse to move. I wanted this all to disappear; I wanted this all to be a bad dream. My ears began to hurt as the heavy bass and drums kicked in the high-way traffic still buzzed behind the acoustics.
To the airport we go.