Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 14: Beginning Again

Chapter14: Beginning Again

“Who is she, the one with Jasper Hale?”
“Her name is Winifred, she was new a couple months ago, didn’t you notice?”
“As freaky as she is, I wouldn’t dare look at her but, why is she going out with him?”
“Maybe he likes her.”
“I doubt it! She probably put some curse on him!!”
The girls giggled as we passed by, unknown by them we were also privy to their conversation. Jasper could hear them whispering and, when I asked, he told me.
It was strange, even to me, to get this many stares. I guess if you’re holding hands with a God and he’s whispering into your ear making you laugh, it attracts notice. As we sat down at the lunch table next to Alice, who was trying so very hard not to laugh, I thought over what had happened so far this day. It was amazing. I shook my head.
This morning I had woken up at my regular time and had been getting dressed when I realized. Was Jasper actually going to act as my boyfriend in school? Of course, we could act the way we feel around his family and when we would go out but, SCHOOL? I nearly fainted at the sound of the horn. A horn as familiar as a car horn could sound like and, it wasn’t even my car.
I rushed downstairs and out the door to find Jasper, golden and beautiful, leaning against the Volvo, smiling. “Did I wake you?” He asked and chuckled. I looked down; I was still wearing my pajamas!! They weren’t even my Black Pinstripes or my shorts and Band Tee, they were HELLO KITTY!!! My face flushed crimson. In my attempt to figure out Jasper and my school relationship, I had taken a shower but, I hadn’t gotten dressed yet. I turned quickly to escape inside but he caught me. He rapped his arm around my waist. He turned me to face him. “Now where are you going?” He asked “To get changed.” “But what if I like it?” He asked innocently. “PJs aren’t allowed to be worn in school, it’s the rules.” I wagged my finger in front of his face. He caught it. “I’m sure I could convince them.” His eyes smoldered “I’m sure you could,” I responded “Now, will you let me get changed.” He reluctantly let go. “You can wait outside while I get dressed.” “But it’s cold.” He said with an impish grin. “Fine,” I said reluctantly “You can come in, OOUUF!” He had lifted me up in his arms and proceeded to carry me inside. “You make very interesting sounds.” He noted with a grin as he let me down in the kitchen. “Very funny.” I said as I began to climb the stairs. I heard a chuckle. These pants had a hole on the butt… I ran faster and slammed the door. He continued to laugh.
“Embarrassing, persuasive, bound to kill me, Vampire….” I mumbled. A call of “Yes, Winnie?” Came from downstairs. He could hear me. I rushed into my closet and pulled out a black low V-neck shirt, a hound’s-tooth cami with matching arm warmers and black flair jeans. I pulled them on and added a pair of white and black Creepers. I touched up my make-up and bounded down the stairs. “No holes?” he asked innocently. I flushed. “If you hadn’t been looking at my butt you wouldn’t have seem it.” I countered “But I do that all the time.” He answered “Let’s get in the car…” I muttered and stalked out side.
He slid into the front seat still laughing. I planed to act mad at him but being around him, even though he couldn’t effect my emotions, I could help but smile.
As he parked between Rosalie’s red convertible and Bella’s truck I asked him. “So Jasper,” I looked down, he looked confused “How are we going to… act in school?” I looked up, he was smiling. “Well, if you don’t mind, I’d like to hang around my girlfriend. I hope I don’t seem too clingy.” He looked at my expression “If that’s ok?” Jasper looked slightly sad. “Oh, it’s more than ok! That’s great, I just wanted to know.” I quickly responded. Jasper grabbed my hand and lead me into the school. Between every class he would meet me in the halls even if his class was in a different building. “He must ask his teachers to let him out early.” I thought
His family was exceptionally nice to me now. While walking down the hallway to math, Rosalie and Emmett passed by. The Cullen’s amazing, model-like sister stopped by me. “Winifred,” she began. I wondered “Had she ever spoken directly to me?” I was afraid she didn’t like me. She gave me a smile. “I’m very happy to have you be part of our family. Jasper seems a lot happier. I’m thankful for that.” “When he’s not annoying us to death because he’s waiting to see you that is!” added Emmett with a big smile. I couldn’t help smiling back. “Emmett, Rosalie!” said Alice standing beside me “You guys going to history?” “Yep.” Responded Emmett “Well you better get going or you’re going to be late, you don’t go this way normally…” questioned Alice. “We better go Hun,” said Rosalie embarrassed.
“Did Rosalie go out of her way to thank me?” I though incredulous and I followed behind Alice into Calculus. We sat down next to each other. Through out class she had been staring intently at my face with a smile. Everyone seemed to like me. Well almost everybody.
Alice nudged me out of my reverie. We were at lunch. “So, what do you think?” asked Alice. She and Jasper were looking at me. “Oh sorry Alice.” I stuttered “I was thinking. I wasn’t paying attention.” “I know.” Said Edward with a smile on his face. “Well of course you do.” I muttered, Bella laughed. I turned to Alice. “What were you asking me about?”
Alice sighed, “What theme is better, Antique European castle with red roses, or Modern Angelic with white modern furniture light white cloth and white, yellow and pink roses and wild flowers, or nighttime tropical with orange flowers like star gazers and a beach.”
I eyed her “For what?” “It doesn’t matter!” she complained “Pick!!!” “If I pick will you tell me the reason?” I questioned “Sure!” she cried exasperated.
“Well personally I’d prefer the Antique European over both, Modern Angelic is next, and Nighttime Tropical is dead last.” “You don’t like beaches?” Alice asked “No. I never did, the sand getting everywhere the humidity, the crowds, concession food. Bad memories.” I shivered “Concession stands make you shiver?” asked Jasper amused “You didn’t ever have to eat it! You don’t know the horror!” “That is true.” He allowed. “So, Alice what is the reason for the choosing?”
“To know what you like better.” Said Alice “Well duh!” I complained “But what for?” “It’s a secret!” said Alice with a finger to her lips. “UUHHG!” I complained “You’re a little devil you know that. A manipulator too.” “I know.” said she “But you love me anyway!” Everyone laughed.
I spent the rest of the day, and week, trying to figure it out. Every time I would ask Jasper, he just laughed. I even tried to ask Edward but he was no help. I tried to ask Bella knowing well she wouldn’t be able to lie but, Edward or Alice came along and took her away.
“Come on Jasper!” I complained on Friday as he dropped me off at home. “Would you please tell me! You keep telling me it’s no big deal but, if it really wasn’t you could tell me!” “Sorry.” He sang “Alice has me sworn to secrecy. Anyway,” he added “You’ll know in a couple of days.” I stepped out of the car. “Really?” I asked as I stepped out of the car. “I promise.” He whispered as he bent over and kissed me on the lips, stunning me momentarily. His hand slowed over my neck and he then drove away.
“I wonder…” I thought as I jumped onto my bed “What important thing is coming up?”
The next morning in the mail I found a letter addressed to me. It was funny because I had just gotten a letter from Shelby and Rachel a couple days ago, which reminded me I should soon e-mail them about Jasper…
The envelope was red and in black ink simply said:
To: Winifred Maxwell
There was no address. Someone must have dropped it into out mail box. I hurried upstairs, overly curious, and ripped it open. I stared. On paper and ink matching the envelope it read
Winifred,
Do you want to solve the mystery? If so, or even if not though I know you do, come to our house at eight o’clock tonight.
-Alice
P.S. Wear the dress Jasper bought you in California.

I turned toward the dress in my closet, black and fancy. Alice, what are you planning?