Love in Cold Blood

Chapter 16: My Journey's Destination

Chapter 16: My Journey’s Destination

“Come on Rosalie!!” Complained Isabella as Rosalie began to curl her hair. Alice’s head popped into her bathroom from her room. “You can go get dressed Rose and help Emmett with his tie, he’s complaining, while I set out Bella’s dress.” Rosalie exited the room. “Will you do me a favor and put Bella in curlers Winnie? Though I do feel bad making you do stuff on your birthday.”
“It’s no problem, I’ve having fun.” I said, Alice smiled.
“Can you please talk some sense into them?” pleaded Bella.
“I don’t think Alice or Rosalie speak sense!” I laughed “Besides Bella,” I whispered “Imagine Edward’s face when he sees you all dolled up; it’ll be love at first sight again.”
At this she blushed and quieted down.
Alice danced into the room. “I finished curling her hair.” I reported, showing my work. “That’s good.” She noted “Bella, come in here and get dressed.” I whispered ‘good luck’ into Bella’s ear as she walked out. She gave me a hopeful smile.
“Winnie.” Said Alice “Jasper wants to see you in his room. It’s on the third floor, third door on the left hand side.”
“Thanks.” I whispered as I walked out of her room.
I walked down the hallway and up the stair case to the third floor. I counted the doors on the left until I hit the third. I stood outside for a good three minutes wondering if I should nock, what I should say etc. when I voice called from inside.
“If I keep ignoring the fact you are standing there, will you ever come in?”
I blushed madly and entered the room. “I’ll be out in a second.” Called Jasper from inside the bathroom. I sat down on the blue bed and looked up at the walls.
“Are you having a good time?” asked Jasper who had silently crept up to my side as I sat, contemplating.
“Oh!” I exclaimed jumping “Yes, I’m having a great time. Alice knows how to throw a party!” I then realized he hadn’t talked much since I first came in today.
“I’m glad.” I responded smiling.
“Umm.” I mumbled “Alice said you wanted to see me?”
“Yes, I have an extra present for you, a special present.”
“An extra special present or, special extra present.” I teased
“Whichever one you want.” He chucked as he handed me a Black velvet bow wrapped in a lace ribbon. “Open it.”
I gazed into his over excited golden eyes as I tugged on the end of the ribbon. I looked at the bow as I lifted the lid.
Inside was a beautiful set of jewelry. The necklace was of Black Pearls that were separated every three with a band of silver holding a small diamond. The pendent was also a diamond. The set had a matching bracelet and earrings.
“They’re beautiful.” I whispered almost crying.
“Would you like me to put them on you?”
I simply nodded.
He lifted my left wrist and fastened the clasp of the bracelet and put in the earrings, swapping out the ones I was wearing previously. Lastly, he leaned in and unclasped the silver chain I wore and placed it in the box. He grabbed the necklace and placed it on my neck. His hands paused near my chin and slid down my neck and over my collar bone to my shoulders. His marble lips replaced his fingers on my neck. Kissing the hallow under my jaw line. His lips moved from my jaw, down my neck, up and to my chin. All the while I was getting uncontrollable shivers and my breathing was becoming labored. He chuckled as he kissed my cheekbones, the corner of my mouth but, never my lips. He was teasing me. He slowly drifted over my lips, his eyes glowing with humor. Frankly, I was tired of it. Catching him off guard, I pushed his face onto mine so I could kiss him.
My lips moved desperately on his yearning for him. His followed mine. We were so intense, my skin burning, his normally ice-cold became almost warm, until I parted my lips and began to trace his lips when he froze and broke us apart. He wasn’t breathing, his eyes still hungry and glowing like hot coals. “I’m sorry.” I whispered
“Don’t be.” He said smiling at me “There just needs to be a line. You can’t be too close to my teeth.” Then suddenly he began to laugh.
“What?” I asked confused, my eyes wide.
“You should really feel what Edward is feeling. I think Alice must have mentioned something to him and, he feels worried, I think he thinks I hurt or killed you. It’s quite hilarious. He still doesn’t trust me.” He mumbled in a somber tone.
“Even if you did, would you even share?” I asked keeping with the humor.
“We really should get going.” Said Jasper. He was wearing a black suit with a red tie.
“Edward just always has a stick up his butt…” I mumbled as we walked out the door. I heard roaring laughter and some dainty giggles from downstairs.
“Wait,” I asked “They can hear me now but not in the room?”
“Yeah,” he explained “The rooms with closed doors are nearly sound proof but, once you step out the house can hear you, well the vampires. Bella has no idea.”
I laughed as we walked down the staircase to the room below. Alice had finished removing the furniture and soft classical music was playing. All the girls were in their dresses. Alice wore a small red dress with spaghetti straps, Rosalie a long dress in Orchid, Bella a medium length off the shoulder in blue. Esme had a long white skirt and matching lace blouse. All the men looked dashing in Black suits that were clashing with their amazingly pale skin making them less human but, more beautiful. Alice was playing with the CDs, Bella and Edward was by the piano and, Emmett and Rosalie were already swaying when they noticed us.
Alice’s head jerked up and she skipped to my side. “That’s the present? It really is very beautiful on you. Jasper wouldn’t let me see it and I didn’t have a vision. I guess he does have good taste in more than one category.” She smiled “Are you guys ready to dance? I have a few songs already picked out.
With this she ran over to the large system and pushed a button. Music filled the whole room. Jasper bowed to me and took my hand. “I’m really no good at dancing.” I said to him. “It’s all in the leading.” He confirmed. He swept me up into a twirl and we danced. The smooth waltz calmed and soothed me so my head was soon lying on his chest. I didn’t even remember there was anyone else in the room; it was like we were stopped in time, until Bella asked Edward to play a song.
He smiled and strode over to the bench sat Bella down next to him and began to play. I recognized the song as The Vienna Waltz. He was good and intimidating. His long white hands flew over the ivory keys, butting ever pianist to shame. When he finished Alice clapped and ushered me toward the bench.
“Oh, no.” I asserted. There was no way I was playing after him. “You’re not getting me to play in front of everybody.
“Please!” cried Alice “I’ll even get Edward to do a duet with you.”
That sounded a little better; at least I could contribute to the sound. I turned to Bella.
“Do you mind if I barrow him for a bit?”
She nodded her head and stood up next to the piano leaving the seat next to Edward open.
“What song would you like to play?” he asked me turning to smile
“Ummm.. I don’t know The Black Key Sonata? Or Chopin’s Nocturne 2 in G major?
“The second one!” Bella inserted. I guess she liked Chopin.
“Ok.” I said and Edward nodded
“Do you need the music?” He asked
In response I began to play he smiled and we began our duet. I have to admit, we did sound pretty good together. His quick fingers played star-like twinkling high noted while I played the smooth low notes. When we had finished the Cullens began to clap. I turned to Edward.
“You played really well, it sounded really nice.”
To my surprise he responded “They aren’t clapping for me, it’s for you, and you have a naturally beautiful and warm sound it’s… honest.”
I began to blush as Alice called
“Another, Winifred play another by yourself.”
“I don’t know…”
“Please.” Said Rosalie and Bella.
I could really say no so I said to everyone
“Is another Chopin okay?”
They nodded ands I began to play one of my favorite songs, Loath to Depart.
The soothing anthem swelled underneath my fingers and I could feel the looks of everyone in the room but I played, and I played well. It was better than I ever had before. It just seemed ‘magical’ as if I ever believed in magic but, in a house of vampires why not magic.
When I had stopped I heard nothing. “Was I that bad?” I thought as I turned around.
Edward was staring at me. Wide eyed, Rosalie looked astonished and so did her husband, Jasper had his eyes closed and was leaning against the wall, happiness emanating from him, Carlisle was patting Esme, she seemed as if she was crying though I knew that wasn’t true.
I walked over to Esme and asked “What’s wrong?”
“That song…” she said
“Loath to Depart.” I informed
“Loath to depart.” She continued “It seemed like such a sad song, it felt as if something was leaving and it was so, sad.”
“Well, it’s not I sad song.” I smiled at her “It may be about a departure but, after every departure comes a new destination, new people and facing. It’s not about an end but a new beginning.”
“I guess so.” She whispered deep in thought.
Distracted, I let my eye wander to the clock. 11:45.
“Holy snicker doodles! I have to go.”
“So soon?” complained Alice
“Yes so soon, unlike you I have to sleep and we have school tomorrow. I really have to.”
“Ok then I guess.” She muttered “Take your stuff.” She handed me all my boxes and the velvet box with the lace ribbon reattached.
“Bye everybody.” I said
Everyone smiled and Carlisle said “I hope to see you soon.”
“Me too.” I responded and turned to leave.
As I was getting to my car Jasper came up behind me.
“May I drive you home?” He said. I approved.
As he drove me home he asked my how I liked the party.
“It was wonderful, it might have been a little overboard but, it was probably the best Birthday Party I ever had.”
“I’m glad.”
For the next five minutes neither of us said anything, it was very unlike Jasper.
“What are you thinking about?” I asked him.
He turned his head to me and answered
“About your song, It was powerful and moving, and your explanation to Esme. Do you really think a departure is a new beginning?” His eyes seemed troubled.
“Yes of course, I wouldn’t like to Esme.” He laughed, I continued “That’s what I view my life here in Forks like. If I hadn’t moved here nothing would have changed. This move became the potential for something more, without me leaving one place I loved; I would have never met the people I love now.”
He turned to me with his eyes soft. We were now parked outside of my house.
“I guess that’s true.” He leaned over and gently laid his lips on mine and he smiled. “See you tomorrow, I love you.” And he was gone. Jasper Hale is my journey’s destination.
♠ ♠ ♠
Want more? LOL! Just asking... and thanks to all of you (all two of you) that commented and the one holy person who gave me a quick message. Bravie, brava, braviecimo!! =P